Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Oh G-d I hadn't even thought of that. And having to stay in your room or with people you hate.
At my place (Uni) staff and students have to wear masks in public areas, but we can't ask students to wear them in class. I foresee heated arguments and walkouts as students who are themselves vulnerable or have vulnerable family come up against assorted deniers and the like (as well as the inevitable squeeze in corridors and doorways).

I havent looked into this properly and it may be less dramatic thatn it sounds, eg it could be that Johnson was just seeking a way to demonstrate to the anti-lockdown pandemic shithead wing of his party that he was listening to international shitheads about alternatives.

But it would be amiss of me not to put it in the record here:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson was advised by Anders Tegnell, the man behind Sweden's decision not to impose a full coronavirus lockdown, before rejecting tougher new restrictions for the United Kingdom.

Downing Street on Thursday confirmed a Spectator magazine report that Johnson had been briefed by a series of international experts, outside his normal circle of advisers, before announcing the new measures.

The new restrictions, which included a curfew on bars and restaurants in England, stopped short of much tougher measures reportedly being pushed by his own chief medical adviser.

Among those briefing, the prime minister was Anders Tegnell, the architect of the Swedish government's controversial response to the pandemic.

One of the reasons I'm not completely losing my shit over it is that there are some indications that Sweden is itself changing its tune on their future pandemic response, which will rob the shitheads of one of their shit foundations.

Another is that I had already come to terms with the fact the UK was always likely to be behind the curve in its response again, and just like last time I expect the stronger measures will come at some later stage of deteriorating conditions. Which doesnt make things any better, quite the opposite, but at least I am not numbed or confused by shock, since it doesnt shock me.

Tesco has now joined Morrisons in limiting purchases of certain items due to signs of panic buying, by complete twats. :facepalm:

Khan:

Specifically, he said he demanded a ban on households mixing at home in London, as has already been imposed in Scotland, Wales and several regions in England. “One of the things that I said to the prime minister is: I think we should be following what’s happening around the country and stopping social mixing of households, and I say that with a heavy heart.”

One of the reasons I'm not completely losing my shit over it is that there are some indications that Sweden is itself changing its tune on their future pandemic response, which will rob the shitheads of one of their shit foundations.

One of the things that all the but look at Sweden types have in common is that none of them appear to have actually... you know... looked at Sweden. They just set up a false dichotomy between full lock down in the UK (which didn't happen) and doing nothing in Sweden (which also didn't happen).

"Whoever took the picture didn't approach me or say anything to me which I suppose would have been the proper way to behave."

No I don't suppose it would have been given how violent some anti-maskers have become.
least he had his clothes on this time Sammy Wilson naked photos: Do we need the naked truth about public figures?

My wife has just had the test, dunno when she'll get the results but 119 said their were no tests, but the school where she works managed to get one for her.

Cardiff and Swansea are joining lockdown clwb :(

Yeah, not really a 'lockdown' when you aren't shutting the pubs. Llanelli lockdown is quite random, drawn across political ward boundaries. Means Pwll is on lockdown but Burry Port isn't. These places are adjoined, with an invisible ward boundary across the road being the only distinction.

Close the pubs.

People want consistency. Not stupid rules saying you can't meet in extended households down the pub but those would be extended households can go to the same pub.

People want a lot of things and a lot of it is conflicting. That's why we have this dancing on a pin head situation at the moment. All I'm saying is I think people's behavior in pubs is a symptomatic of a larger problem.

People want a lot of things and a lot of it is conflicting. That's why we have this dancing on a pin head situation at the moment. All I'm saying is I think people's behavior in pubs is a symptomatic of a larger problem.

I work there and I'm just telling you what people are saying this afternoon. Other than that, I don't disagree with what you've said here.

At my place (Uni) staff and students have to wear masks in public areas, but we can't ask students to wear them in class. I foresee heated arguments and walkouts as students who are themselves vulnerable or have vulnerable family come up against assorted deniers and the like (as well as the inevitable squeeze in corridors and doorways).
There could be a justification to suspend or expel the denier students on grounds of public health. Basically, fuck them - they don't have the right to put others at risk in an institution where you have to be a member to access in that way. I'd have no sympathy with them if universities did this.

I've done a risk analysis which tells me I'm still not clicking on THAT :eek:
Come on, don't be shy.

wilson

One of the things that all the but look at Sweden types have in common is that none of them appear to have actually... you know... looked at Sweden. They just set up a false dichotomy between full lock down in the UK (which didn't happen) and doing nothing in Sweden (which also didn't happen).
Yes, I have said all along that what we have done is essentially not unlike Sweden, only less purposeful :facepalm:

I havent read this weeks surveillance report properly yet and if there is anything substantial to pluck out of it then I might stick it on the nerdy thread.

But when giving it a first quick skim there was this bit near the start that didnt used to be mentioned, and I thought I should point out even though it should be no surprise to anyone following Septembers news regarding the testing system:

Case detections are limited by testing capacity, therefore positivity rates provide a better indication of change in activity in some areas.

There was indeed some stuff to focus on from that report, so I added some stuff to the nerdy thread. #23

A quick preview (this is accompanied by a more detailed graph which I cover on the nerdy thread):

Up to 04.30am on 24 September 2020, 45,087 people testing positive, who were referred to NHS Test and Trace, reported at least one event within the enhanced contact tracing time period. In total 87,128 events were reported. The most common event was eating out (12,734 events, 14.6% of all those reported), followed by shopping (11,654 events, 13.4%).

I went out tonight to a comedy event, all outdoors on plastic seats in pairs of two, with the drinks ordered either in advance or via a QR code on the back of the chair ...
What did people in the front row do? Or was it the back of your own chair, and was that not very awkward?

(Inconsequential detail enthusiast, c'est moi.)

I'm a little disturbed to find that my little corner of remote rural heaven is a Medium Risk area :eek:
it's a 3 point high/medium/low scale, and nowhere is currently rated as low.

What is my postcode district risk level? · COVID-19 app support for details

This - if you follow it through, the app provides this info - there are NO low risk areas because cases are rising (across Engalnd at least - I know you're in Wales but assume the same goes).

There could be a justification to suspend or expel the denier students on grounds of public health. Basically, fuck them - they don't have the right to put others at risk in an institution where you have to be a member to access in that way. I'd have no sympathy with them if universities did this.

I don't get this - it's the universities setting the rules, not covid denier students?!

Are Covid denier students much of a thing? I mean there are bound to be some, but compliance (at least in the sense of mask wearing) seems highest in student areas here.
Yes, but idk what percentage of the student population. They seem to cluster - same way any other demographic does, same way covid deniers seem to in other areas of life too

Back
Top Bottom