Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Now that I think, it might instead have been called Induction Week. As I say hazy times, soon to get a lot hazier.

As some of you know, I stayed in student accommodation (as a teacher) all summer. I shared with five men, one of whom was a covid denier, and went out of his way to cough and splutter all over the kitchen, and even stuck a poster up about covid being fake.

I have never used so much disinfectant spray in my life.

I have no doubt that some poor students will be stuck with people like that.

Latest ONS estimate (with the amount of lag in this study clearly visible):

• During the most recent week (13 to 19 September 2020), we estimate there were around 1.75 (95% credible interval: 1.31 to 2.30) new COVID-19 infections for every 10,000 people per day in the community population in England, equating to around 9,600 new cases per day (95% credible interval: 7,100 to 12,600).

Also:

• There is evidence of higher infection rates in the North West, Yorkshire and the Humber, London and North East; both West and East Midlands are recently showing a small increase.

I'm medium too, which I found reassuring.
I don't have credit on my phone and rarely have any data. Is there any point me having this app?

Surely you can run it on wifi, but don't you have a monthly data plan? It's possible to get £5 or £7.50pm ones that have plenty.

Last edited:
Incidentally noticed precisely zero change in traffic. Doesn’t seem to indicate any move back to WFH. Sheffield heavily public sector of course (universities, teaching hospitals, various government things).

Just about to announce a ban on household mixing in Leeds. fuck. Was gonna have my sister and kids round for dinner on Sunday- haven’t seen them in ages :(

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Yeah, last few days I've arranged a load of social things in the next 2 weeks as well.

(When I say a load, I mean meeting up with 1-3 people a couple of times, lest I be thought of as some wild social butterfly.)

Last edited:
London added to the watchlist:

49m ago 12:30

and

41m ago 12:38

Khan quote:

London is at a very worrying tipping point right now. We’re seeing a sharp rise in 111 calls, hospital admissions and patients in ICU [intensive care units].

The near collapse of test and trace and the resurgence of the virus means new measures to slow its spread were absolutely necessary.

Testing capacity was diverted away from London in the last two weeks to other national hotspots and weekly testing numbers are now down 43% in the capital since mid-August. The lack of testing capacity is totally unacceptable and it is why London has been added to the government’s coronavirus watchlist as an area of concern.

Ministers simply have to get a grip. It’s vital that testing capacity is increased immediately in London and focused in the areas it is needed most. Any delay will mean letting the city down and will cost lives.

There'll be people thinking it's OK for three people to visit a garden centre if one of them is a Catholic and not realising that only applies in Carlisle.

Or just do anything you like with whoever, so long as you remember to slaughter at least one defenceless woodland creature while you're doing it.

Back
Top Bottom