Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Why will the 10pm ‘curfew’ make people less likely to spread the virus? Surely the opposite would be the result?
Why would it be the opposite? It’s Mingling that is illegal, more danger of Mingling after ten i reckon, unless everyone just starts drinking an hour earlier of course.

Depends on the management partly I suppose. Stick to the rules and the slots are restricted as they were before. But there’s going to be a fairly major motivation to sell as much booze as quickly as possible.

By the by, two random interjections:

1. At work, a university, we've been told they won't be cleaning rooms inbetween sessions as they will be sprayed with a 'mist' that kills the virus for 4 weeks. It's as if Donald Trump became our VC... :facepalm:

2. I had my own Occ Health this discussion about whether I was up to teaching face to face due to a couple of medical conditions. Fwiw, the OH guy is great and provides report that are helpful in union casework. Anyway, he mentioned the usual point that face masks only stop you transmitting to others. However there are medical grade masks that do provide protection to the wearer and recommended I wear one of those. Rather begs the question why supermarket worksers and others haven't been wearing these for months...

By the by, two random interjections:

1. At work, a university, we've been told they won't be cleaning rooms inbetween sessions as they will be sprayed with a 'mist' that kills the virus for 4 weeks. It's as if Donald Trump became our VC... :facepalm:

2. I had my own Occ Health this discussion about whether I was up to teaching face to face due to a couple of medical conditions. Fwiw, the OH guy is great and provides report that are helpful in union casework. Anyway, he mentioned the usual point that face masks only stop you transmitting to others. However there are medical grade masks that do provide protection to the wearer and recommended I wear one of those. Rather begs the question why supermarket worksers and others haven't been wearing these for months...

1) more expensive.
2) er...

to be fair many of the better ones have valves which are fine for protecting yourself, but potentially actively harmful for spread (they drip). They’re also less comfortable than cloth masks. Not tried surgical mask for comparison.

So you want:

N95-And-KN95-Masks-810x491.jpg

NOT:

coronavirus-3m-masks-n95-222d669aa944bef30fa86aec23b3198a0d2f589f.jpg

1) more expensive.
2) er...

to be fair many of the better ones have valves which are fine for protecting yourself, but potentially actively harmful for spread (they drip). They’re also less comfortable than cloth masks. Not tried surgical mask for comparison.
Yeah, I think he was referring to a kind of weapons grade cloth version, rather than the respirator type. My specs usually steam up when up when I use a mask so I'll look a right div.

Cos people will drink faster, get drunker, will all go home at the same time and then have house parties drinking in smaller spaces
Yeah I think that might be true for some people, maybe of younger people, or just people who go to pubs in order to you know Mingle not to have a pint of Guinness and a fish and chips then go home again, which were never the worry anyway.

Reactions: LDC
Well, this was appeared in one of my WhatsApp groups about 1 minute after announcement:

View attachment 231492
That's a joke though. Pissheads gonna pisshead whatever, but for most people that last hour is the one where you start forgetting what you're supposed to be doing and ordering tequila shots, rubbing against your work colleagues, etc. Add to that, most people can't really get out drinking much earlier, so it's an extra hour less time of an evening that they'll be in contact with people. From these things alone it'll have a dampening effect.

It isn't enough, and for a small minority of people it might encourage more risky behaviour, but it's population level behaviour they're looking at here.

here we are - blame the government up 1% since last week. so no change really.

Still, it's a mixed picture - the british are the least satisfied with how the government is handling the crisis of all the countries they're tracking:

1600874517823.png

Back
Top Bottom