Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Just been told that my work (local council services/public libraries) is now requiring the public to download the NHS app and scan a QR code on entry to any of our buildings. Which is going to be quite a challenge. Well probably have to get people to download the app at the door, and they might not have enough data to do so and they might not even have a smartphone or know how to do such things. In that case, we take their details manually. And if anyone refuses, we still have to let them in.

Just been told that my work (local council services/public libraries) is now requiring the public to download the NHS app and scan a QR code on entry to any of our buildings. Which is going to be quite a challenge. Well probably have to get people to download the app at the door, and they might not have enough data to do so and they might not even have a smartphone or know how to do such things. In that case, we take their details manually. And if anyone refuses, we still have to let them in.

yeah. I've seen the problems people have been having doing something similar at my local coffee shop.

"Work from home if you can"

Genuine question. What sort of % of workers actually have the authority to make that decision for themselves?
Well, it has meant that whereas my work was previously saying “up to you, but we would rather that you come in” (potentially creating pressure depending on the attitude of individual managers), they sent out an email this morning saying “stay at home unless you find it impossible”. So a shift in corporate attitude

Well ahead of the curve on bog roll this time round...

Well, it has meant that whereas my work was previously saying “up to you, but we would rather that you come in” (potentially creating pressure depending on the attitude of individual managers), they sent out an email this morning saying “stay at home unless you find it impossible”. So a shift in corporate attitude

The company my g/f is currently working for started putting pressure on everyone to get back into their Central London office about 3 weeks ago just as it became apparent a serious problem was on the horizon. Set up teams who would do one week on, one week off etc. Quite a bit of pushing and cajoling.

Come yesterday a rather flippant email was sent out along the lines of 'Just see today's announcement. Office will remain open if you still want to come in!'. Absolutely no encouragement for people to stay at home.

This is a large marketing and advertising company where work can easily be done at home for vast majority. Still plenty of scummy attitudes out there.

Eg8cpDMXYAEXpG-.jpeg

Yep as it is workers can be left with managements personal attitude to covid and wfh. That could mean the companies who have said wfh til next summer, heres a monitor and chair but can just as easily be an anti mask covid denier or an "if they're not in the office they'll spend all day sunbathing and wanking" arsehole.

Yeah, I work in healthcare and follow this shit quite closely, and I had no idea the app was out tomorrow! :facepalm:

They clearly have a lot of confidence in it. Seen as the entire track and trace system is largely borked the app does seem somewhat irrelevant at this stage.

Point of order. It’s released tomorrow. But of course it isn’t mandatory. how could it be, not everyone has a smart phone anyway.
They’re saying it is the law and therefore mandatory but then they’re also saying people can refuse to give their details, so how is it mandatory?

They’re saying it is the law and therefore mandatory but then they’re also saying people can refuse to give their details, so how is it mandatory?

what, the app? to be honest I haven’t heard much about it. But it can’t be mandatory surely as in all those people who can’t use it. to be honest I only know it’s out tomorrow because I saw an email about it at work today. I knew it was due sometime but yeah.

Back
Top Bottom