Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I don't know. Nobody is going to punch you for placing tables 2m apart but trying to stop people flirting with strangers is not part of the job of bar staff.
It would be quite possible to install perspex flirting booths so that it could take place with a physical barrier in between. If the flirting went well the participants would exchange contact details and continue digitally. Weddings are still legal so they could then get married and move in together, forming a single household and then everything would be above board.

It would be quite possible to install perspex flirting booths so that it could take place with a physical barrier in between. If the flirting went well the participants would exchange contact details and continue digitally. Weddings are still legal so they could then get married and move in together, forming a single household and then everything would be above board.
Pub carparks might become dogging hotspots

We've been in a mental health crisis for years. Lost several mates to suicide or drug overdoses the last few years :( I kinda want people to remember this doesn't stop being an issue because we're 'back to normal'
It actually gets worse. I am seeing clients off a waiting list which, at least at the start of lockdown, predated any Covid-related anxiety, but every single one of them has been significantly affected, in one way or another, by what is happening. Often, quite profoundly.

The ongoing mental health fallout from this is absolutely massive. A lot of people will recover spontaneously, but a lot are going to be dealing with what are, in effect, trauma symptoms.

I shall make a prediction. The Government will make lots of sensitive and caring noises, as they relabel some miserable pot of funds they were already spending to make it look like they're pouring additional funding into MH - they won't be. Then we'll start hearing stories about how DWP are upping the pressure on people to "get a job", etc., and discounting any MH symptoms in their infamous fit-for-work tests.

Suicide rates in the UK are already upticking pretty sharply, and have been for a couple of years, almost certainly thanks to this government's austerity/bash-the-benefits-claimants agenda, so the good news for the Government will be that the ongoing increase - oh, there will be an ongoing increase - will be lost in the numbers, but the combination of post-traumatic consequences and the inevitable post-Covid economic collapse is going to be positively shepherding people in the direction of desperate and permanent solutions to temporary problems.

And, alongside that, you will see other increases in MH/trauma-related events - significantly higher levels of alcohol and other substance misuse, further increases in domestic violence (and violence in general). All of which will, of course, be fingerpointed back to individuals, not ever seen as the direct result of government policy, inaction, and incompetence.

It's going to be a fucking mess.

The problems really come to a head when we run out of facilities to treat the sick.
Tbh I don't think we'll run out of spaces in which to treat cv - the nightingale hospitals can be revived and were barely troubled during the first wave. It's more, and this may have been what you were driving at, people who either don't have CV but something else or who have CV and something else. That's a trickier issue

It actually gets worse. I am seeing clients off a waiting list which, at least at the start of lockdown, predated any Covid-related anxiety, but every single one of them has been significantly affected, in one way or another, by what is happening. Often, quite profoundly.

The ongoing mental health fallout from this is absolutely massive. A lot of people will recover spontaneously, but a lot are going to be dealing with what are, in effect, trauma symptoms.

I shall make a prediction. The Government will make lots of sensitive and caring noises, as they relabel some miserable pot of funds they were already spending to make it look like they're pouring additional funding into MH - they won't be. Then we'll start hearing stories about how DWP are upping the pressure on people to "get a job", etc., and discounting any MH symptoms in their infamous fit-for-work tests.

Suicide rates in the UK are already upticking pretty sharply, and have been for a couple of years, almost certainly thanks to this government's austerity/bash-the-benefits-claimants agenda, so the good news for the Government will be that the ongoing increase - oh, there will be an ongoing increase - will be lost in the numbers, but the combination of post-traumatic consequences and the inevitable post-Covid economic collapse is going to be positively shepherding people in the direction of desperate and permanent solutions to temporary problems.

And, alongside that, you will see other increases in MH/trauma-related events - significantly higher levels of alcohol and other substance misuse, further increases in domestic violence (and violence in general). All of which will, of course, be fingerpointed back to individuals, not ever seen as the direct result of government policy, inaction, and incompetence.

Yeah suicide already looks a 'logical' way out for many people I think:(

If you want a proper mess put a Tory in charge

We haven't yet got full details on new measures yet, they are due to be agreed at the cabinet & COBRA meetings this morning, and presented by Johnson to parliament this afternoon, then addressing the nation at 8 pm.
Probably water them down today then. Shut pubs at midnight.

Yes. In rare cases, or if unsure, one might be able to apply to the relevant government department for a decision as to whether or not your relationship counts as 'established'.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 09.08.41.png

Suicide rates usually drop in times of national crisis; disasters, war etc. I wonder what suicide rates are like in countries with halfway sensible governments.

If you want a proper mess put a Tory in charge
TBF, mental healthcare has been being betrayed for as long as I've had any involvement, so since the early 90s at least. The story today is pretty much exactly the story 30 years ago - clinical decisions ostensibly made on a clinical basis, but actually made on a cost basis. They've been robbing Peter to pay Paul for all that time, with occasional high-profile bursts of activity/recognition, but the baseline, so far as I can tell, hasn't shifted one iota.

In 1990 I was a carer for my first wife, and saw from that side just how shit things were - sure, they'd promise you everything with careplans, interventions, support, diagnoses, etc. None of it was delivered on - she bumped along in between suicide attempts and acute admissions, with the MH services basically firefighting, and relying on me as a kind of unpaid bank psychiatric nurse. Now, I'm "in the business", and seeing it from a different perspective, and exactly the same stuff is going on. I bust a gut to get people who are clearly way too unwell for a quick burst of counselling to help to get referred into secondary MH care, and it's like pulling teeth - there's always a reason why the referral isn't "suitable". And when it is, you suddenly discover there's an 18 month list for PTSD care (for example).

It's desperate. And has been so for a very, very long time. My guess is that it will get a lot worse now.

All without coming within two meters of each other :thumbs:

My sister is married to an nhs psychiatrist (one of those people who gets called to emergencies and has the authority to section you). It surprised me a lot when he said that during the tightest period of lockdown he was not very busy at all compared to normal times and as restrictions eased things went back to normal (totally dysfunctional overload) rates.

My sister is married to an nhs psychiatrist (one of those people who gets called to emergencies and has the authority to section you). It surprised me a lot when he said that during the tightest period of lockdown he was not very busy at all compared to normal times and as restrictions eased things went back to normal (totally dysfunctional overload) rates.
Mental health problems tend to reduce during big national crises and back in April it was all very simple stay home and save lives. It's the weird ever changing dystopia we've slipped into since that's doing people's heads in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom