Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Apologies for reacting to an old post -- only just catching up here
William of Walworth said:
Can't be confident about what thread, or forum, in which to put this excellent Barry Glendinning article (Saturday Guardian)
But IMO it's a ridiculously brilliant condemnation of 'decisions' to allow the Cheltenham 'Festival' ;) and Liverpool v Atletico at Anfield to go ahead in mid-March :mad:
Worry not, sport-averse Urbans -- it's only technically a sport article -- much more political!! :cool:

I skipped past that quietly wondering how this is still news

The news itself isn't new, but the Barry Glendinning article was new -- Wednesday 27th May.
He's a pretty good sport editor at The Guardian, and I personally thought his summary of all that was brilliant,
You neither have to agree, nor just dismiss it.

Brockwell Park (near Brixton) was the busiest I've seen it outside of a festival, and Ruskin Park was the most packed I've ever known it. In Brockwell, youths were doing nitrous balloons together, there were big groups of drinkers all sitting alarmingly close to each other but at least there wasn't a full football game going on.

Given the useless 'leadership' of this government, I don't blame people for going out, but that Covid curve has got to be going back up again if this carries on :(

More here -

THOUSANDS of visitors were ordered off a packed beach after four people were injured jumping off the top of Durdle Door. Two rescue helicopters landed on the beach this afternoon.

Three of the casualties have sustained serious injuries and are being treated by the ambulance service.

A police spokesman said: "Officers and partner agencies are dealing with a critical incident at Durdle Door. The incident involved people jumping from the arch into the sea. Four people have been injured as a result. They are receiving medical attention.

Fucking idiots. :mad:

Someone has just shared a video of the people jumping and the crowded beach cheering them.
This is everyone leaving as they closed the beach.
That path is narrow and very steep. I saw a photo this week of people queuing on that to get down to the beach. It’s insane.

Attachments

• 9D6F673E-C926-4522-BF8E-EEE98F2EA789.png
    9D6F673E-C926-4522-BF8E-EEE98F2EA789.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
Brockwell Park (near Brixton) was the busiest I've seen it outside of a festival, and Ruskin Park was the most packed I've ever known it. In Brockwell, youths were doing nitrous balloons together, there were big groups of drinkers all sitting alarmingly close to each other but at least there wasn't a full football game going on.

Given the useless 'leadership' of this government, I don't blame people for going out, but that Covid curve has got to be going back up again if this carries on :(

There was a full contact, five-a-side match going on first thing this morning in my local park in Hackney -- the players were mid to late teens. And a kid's football training session. Going by the litter strewn everywhere, there were obviously a loads of people in there last night too. :(

There should have been a limit on how far you can travel for leisure and exercise. We don’t have the fucking resources to deal with idiots from other counties as well as our own at the moment.

Same in North Norfolk, lifeguards called out a few times this week to rescue people cut off by the tide. Out of towners, city folk...don't understand the ways of the country ;)

There should have been a limit on how far you can travel for leisure and exercise. We don’t have the fucking resources to deal with idiots from other counties as well as our own at the moment.
Same in North Norfolk, lifeguards called out a few times this week to rescue people cut off by the tide. Out of towners, city folk...don't understand the ways of the country ;)

Same on the Sussex coast, it's gone nuts, Worthing beach was busier than normal on a sunny Saturday.

There was a full contact, five-a-side match going on first thing this morning in my local park in Hackney -- the players were mid to late teens. And a kid's football training session. Going by the litter strewn everywhere, there were obviously a loads of people in there last night too. :(
Right now, there's a street party going on opposite me - everyone close together drinking - and a busy house party below, and I can hear another party close by. It's madness.

I fear the death toll is going to escalate very quickly. Loss of common sense seems to be virulent.

Won't know initially for a couple of weeks though. First people get inflected, then they experience symptoms, then their illness gets serious, then they get hospitalised, then they go to ICU, then they die.

Won't know initially for a couple of weeks though. First people get inflected, then they experience symptoms, then their illness gets serious, then they get hospitalised, then they go to ICU, then they die.

Not everyone and not inevitably, thankfully!! :eek:

It's worth remembering also, that not everywhere throughout the UK is experiencing equally high levels of irresponsible behaviour.

Here in our part of Wales, behaviour remains far from bad from what we've seen, mostly.

There's a full on house party going on below me. RAMMED full of people, most of whom are busy arguing and shouting in each other's faces. :facepalm:
ah well, you live in a choice spot, I fondly remember the sound system starting on a late friday afternoon and not stopping till sunday early evening in that block, pre covid/1990's obviously.
Lots of groups of teens at the other end of moorlands esaste when I just walked the dog. Police van was was hovering in attendance to monitor the situation...

Not everyone and not inevitably, thankfully!! :eek:

It's worth remembering also, that not everywhere throughout the UK is experiencing equally high levels of irresponsible behaviour.

Here in our part of Wales, behaviour remains far from bad from what we've seen, mostly.
Well we're mainly seeing it only from England.

Mmm, it all looks very lockdown compliant where I am...but since I am not really going anywhere, I probably wouldm't know how much the lockdown is crumbling. I ventured a dogwalk by the river around a month ago...at one pinch point over a railway crossing, I completely lost my shit at some lycra clad imbecile hurtling up the steps towards me. '2metres, Dude', I bellowed at him...and tbf, he scarpered back down the stairs quicksmart. Even so, several families with bikes were also lurking at the bottom of the stairs where I practically had to squeeze by. So much for the relaxing walk - I was virtually homicidal - certainly tense as fuck. We walked back along the (empty) road. I have avoided any open spaces apart from the local graveyard for (solitary) dogwalks...and have not been anywhere other than my totally empty Tesco Express and a tiny Waitrose for partner's beer ( which is also more or less empty ). Apart from that, I haven't been within 2 metres of anyone except my partner and grand-daughter for months. There is no sunny weather whatsoever which would induce me to go to a beach. I can get along on Universal Credit for years if I have to. And if I ever have to venture anywhere near other people, I will take a sodding great length of bamboo. I do live in the centre of town (in England) and it is still pretty much deserted - and the local roads are pretty empty too.

Park near me has had large groups of young people (probably students) sat on the grass together most nights for about a couple of weeks now. Mountain bikers also out in groups in the woods. A lot of people do seem to have given up.

Back
Top Bottom