Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Exactly - tbh I think a lot of people think they get flu every year until they actually do get a type A flu, then they realise "fuck me that's some nasty shit right there". I had the H3Nsomethingorother swine flu that was doing the rounds a few winters back, was hallucinating and struggling to breathe for a good couple of weeks and coughing up blood at one point (probably should have gone to hospital tbh), took me about 3 months to fully recover.
This. I've only had the flu once in my life, tried to go into town to get a printer to carry on my SVQ maybe 2 weeks later, nearly fainted in the shopping centre.

With any illness I end up not being able to concentrate properly and walking around in a daze too but waking up in the middle of the night coughing or with a blocked nose:(

Not sure what I had a couple of years ago but I went to give the dog a walk, got outside the gate and it was like I'd been hit across the chest, could hardly breathe. The dog even looked at me and walked back through the gate which was the first and last time she's done that :D

Last edited:
Corbyn's nutjob brother has been collared. Seems to be more plod and reporters than protestors.

Struth what a barmpot. Meant to be protests here as well. Suspect a bloke I know might be getting involved because he keeps sending me wierd stuff on Facebook about all the people in hospital being there because they are having panic attacks. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The government needs to make sure its coronavirus testing strategy is fit for purpose instead of focusing on hitting targets, says the Royal College of GPs.

In a letter to Health Secretary Matt Hancock, chairman Prof Martin Marshall said long wait times were "undermining confidence" in the results.

Health professionals were also concerned about the accuracy of some test results, he said.

I don't know for sure, but it strikes me that a tonne of over 60's in London have no choice but to work to support themselves and their families, so they are probably using their Freedom Passes to get to work, not for some leisurely activities, and many of them are not even earning that much. So cruel.

Yeah, I used to use mine to get to work until I became unable to work, and my daughter uses hers to get to college. Neither of us can switch to cycling, and her college is much too far to walk. My ex has to take her daughter into central London for nursery, and tube stations don't have child tickets at machines, so you have to be at a manned station to queue up and buy the ticket - during the peak.

What some people outside London might not realise is that peak hours here are six hours per day - 6:30-9:30am, and 16:30-19:30, including the time you start travelling. There aren't many jobs where you won't hit at least one of those peak times.

How can they afford it? Cut other things out? I’m not on great pay and I’ll never be able to afford a car

I think it's mostly people who learned to drive a while ago, and have enough driving experience to get relatively low insurance. The car itself doesn't necessarily cost very much. The only people I know who actually use their cars to drive through the congestion zone for work are NHS or healthcare workers though, and they can get their money back. It'd be nice if that continued beyond the lockdown.

Plus of course some low-paid workers work as self-employed builders, gardeners, etc, and use their cars for work. TBF I think they mostly avoid the congestion charging zone anyway, though the extended hours and including weekends will make a big difference to that.

I'm not sure I disagree with this particular change, just saying how and why some low-paid people do have cars.

This research seems quite positive that there is a sufficient immune response for people who have had Covid-19:

Scathing summary of the UK response from BMJ. Very well written.

Assuming an Infection Fatality Rate of 1% and 5% of the UK population having caught Covid-19 to date predicts around 33,000 deaths. This is not far off the official death toll.

Which of the above assumptions is likely to be the most inaccurate?

I use the ONS (& equivalents for Scotland and Northern Ireland) data for official death toll. Leaving aside all the deaths not recorded as Covid19 on death certificate, for which we would look at overall mortality figures, the figure for COVID19 deaths was 38,420 deaths that happened up to and including 1st May.

The estimate for population infected so far is likely to be the most inaccurate. But it varies in different regions of the UK, and how many of those infections were in groups especially vulnerable to this disease would also make a difference.

In a national briefing last month on infection control and Covid-19, NHS England told the medical directors and chief nurses of all acute hospitals in England that it had found that 10%-20% of people in hospital with the disease had got it while they were inpatients.

The whole thing about hating teachers is a bit sudden and it's difficult to see why it has happened. Maybe if I keep my eyes peeled I will eventually happen upon a clue.

_112324934_st17maysmall.jpg

I use the ONS (& equivalents for Scotland and Northern Ireland) data for official death toll. Leaving aside all the deaths not recorded as Covid19 on death certificate, for which we would look at overall mortality figures, the figure for COVID19 deaths was 38,420 deaths that happened up to and including 1st May.

The estimate for population infected so far is likely to be the most inaccurate. But it varies in different regions of the UK, and how many of those infections were in groups especially vulnerable to this disease would also make a difference.

Thank you. There have been such widely varying estimates of the proportion of the population likely to have been infected so far, it's hard to know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom