Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

SIX MILLION QUID!

Proper hero.

Retired British Army Captain Tom Moore, 99, walks to raise money for health workers, by attempting to walk the length of his garden one hundred times before his 100th birthday later this month, in Britain in this undated handout taken sometime April 2020. Maytrix Group/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES. MANDATORY CREDIT

Over EIGHT million now. :thumbs:

Ventilators: why it is so hard to produce what’s needed to tackle coronavirus
Firstly, not just anyone can make a medical device. Manufacturers have to be registered with the relevant regulator. In the UK, that’s the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The simplest approach to increase ventilator numbers is for a government to contact existing ventilator manufacturers and understand what’s needed to increase production rates.
For example, there may be issues with the supply of materials, a need for new machine tools or a lack of funding needed to order thousands more components.

These companies already have the respective approvals and quality procedures in place. Efforts should be made to determine the bottlenecks that inhibit increased production, and then find the solutions.
from 15/04/2020 Ventilators: why it is so hard to produce what's needed to tackle coronavirus | The Engineer

View attachment 206939

And i notice that Sunak said in yesterday's briefing that to paraphrase: 'We are not considering introducing basic income, Universal Credit is just fine' along with hinting a great deal more austerity to pay for the spending happening now.
NZ govt ministers have also taken a six-month 20 per cent pay cut as an act of solidarity. UK MPs voted themselves a £10,000 per head working from home bonus. :D Shows up the good and the bad, doesn't it, a crisis like this?

Thousands sign petition demanding MPs’ £10,000 work-from-home fund is scrapped
More than 162,000 people have signed a petition calling for MPs to be stripped of their £10,000 work-from-home allowance.

MPs have been offered an additional £10,000 each by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) – the body that audits expenses of those in the Commons – to pay for increased costs as they and their staff move to working from home during the Covid-19 lockdown.
from 12/04/2020 Thousands sign petition demanding MPs’ £10,000 work-from-home fund is scrapped

No, MPs have not ‘given themselves’ £10,000 to work from home
The biggest change was that the existing office costs budget that MPs can claim expenses on will increase by £10,000 'to cover any additional costs you may incur to set up working remotely as a result of coronavirus'. The existing office costs budget (found here, along with all the budgets for MPs' spending) is up to £28,800 for London MPs, and £25,910 for all the rest. This covers renting a constituency office, and filling it with desks, computers, printers and so on, as well as equipment for the Westminster office (staffed by different people) and constituency surgerie
from 10/04/2020 No, MPs have not 'given themselves' £10,000 to work from home | The Spectator

Oh yes they have!
What a cheek to add 10k to their allowances while tens of thousands are losing their jobs!

It didn't

a) MPs didn't vote on it,

b) It's additional funds available to allow constituency staff to work securely from home.
You're right, they didn't vote on it. But you do remember the expenses scandal, yes? The noses in the trough. The way they're talking now, all offended by the idea people might think they're taking advantage, laying it on thick about how it's their distressed constituents who will benefit. Makes me want to puke. To their credit, some MPs have stated that they won't be using it, just as some mps, and it was only a few, didn't previously abuse their expenses.

You're right, they didn't vote on it. But you do remember the expenses scandal, yes? The noses in the trough. The way they're talking now, all offended by the idea people might think they're taking advantage, laying it on thick about how it's their distressed constituents who will benefit. Makes me want to puke. To their credit, some MPs have stated that they won't be using it, just as some mps, and it was only a few, didn't previously abuse their expenses.

shrug It wasn't me who managed two errors of fact in 12 words. You know what constituency staff do, right?

shrug It wasn't me who managed two errors of fact in 12 words. You know what constituency staff do, right?
I stand by characterising it as a bonus. If I was given an extra 10k expenses by my work to buy a load of kit for my home, I'd see that as a bonus. So they didn't actually vote on it. So what?

oink oink

From the foot of the previous page of this thread (sorry) :
Wilf said:
To be fair, early on government themselves were responsible for using 'has a flu jab on medical advice' as a marker of vulnerability (and thus the 12 week self isolation). I know that has changed with letters and lists of conditions, but you can see how it sticks in people's minds.

Yeah, a couple of people I work with were sent home for that reason, then told they had to return to work a couple of weeks later when the advice changed.

They're regarded as more vulnerable than those without eg diabetes, but not extremely vulnerable.

There was quite a bit of early confusion about people categorised as vulnerable.
I'm in one of the non-extremely vulnerable categories (there's a fair few of the standard vulnerability conditions).
An early message that reached me online, that I didn't keep :oops: and was subsequently unfindable, contained the flu-jab reference and stated that I'd need to be off work for twelve weeks.
I've been feeling in rude health all through (and I've been very careful too), so that long off work seemed embarassing.
But after telling my bosses that 12 weeks was being specified, that became their understanding when they sent me home on a Civil Service thing called 'special leave'.
Not long afterwards (on the Thursday before full lockdown came in, Monday 23rd March), all my CS colleagues were sent home.
When they're called back -- not soon, I'm sure -- I'll go back, even if that's before 'my twelve weeks' is up.
(The time will have to be agreed with PCS anyway)
(ETA later : Apologies -- the above was a bit too personal, more for the 'Pandemic personal consequences' thread really :oops:. Just responding to other posts earlier up, was all :( )

Last edited:
Screw Matt Hancock bigging himself up over a badge.

That's timewasting when he can't even manage to get top-standard PPE prioritised and distributed. :mad:
And full testing of all workers prone to being exposed to the virus :(

Both PPE and testing are what are really needed for all careworkers and all NHS staff ...
I read somewhere today that the number of careworkers who've been tested is vastly lower than the number of NHS staff who've been tested, is that correct?

Last edited:
It's mad - that's what they've been doing with their time? Felt a lot like they just wanted to announce a BIG POSITIVE PROUD BADGE THING.
I'm all for it if it means the difference, to the police, between distinguishing who's actually NHS and who isn't - since they seem to have struggled with that - but just look after people, eh, get the tests done, don't waste time on pointless shit.

Back
Top Bottom