Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I wasn't getting the sense they would go down this route personally.
I think a lot of eyes will be on how things go down in Spain.
I've no doubt that Vallance would if given half a chance, but don't expect him to be. It'll be impossible to shut him up about "herd immunity" if a surveillance and suppression system isn't in place, undoing weeks of government denial and gaslighting. They'll be watching Italy, Spain and France like hawks.

I've no doubt that Vallance would if given half a chance, but don't expect him to be. It'll be impossible to shut him up about "herd immunity" if a surveillance and suppression system isn't in place, undoing weeks of government denial and gaslighting. They'll be watching Italy, Spain and France like hawks.
Problem is, though, as we know, that negative results of any easing, if there are any, won't show up for weeks. There is a danger here - those countries that ease are almost bound to see improved results in the first week or two weeks after easing regardless. That's why a clear track and trace system ought to be in place first...

With the almost total lack of immunological data I'm astonished that such a line could be taken.

Sustained reduction in hospitalised cases is the best measure for the UK, I would suggest, given the paucity of meaning in current UK testing figures. That's where we are in a bad place compared to others - as Germany's new cases reduce, or Switzerland's, or Italy's for that matter, they can be confident that means something, and can combine it with other indicators to have confidence where they're at.

France has been shite about testing as well. Don't think it's a coincidence that France plans a longer and harder lockdown. I don't know the details of France's response, but it sounds like they've been as crap as the UK.
Not as crap as "we're gonna deliberately unleash a virus we know will slaughter 250,000+ to generate 'herd immunity', so take it on the chin, serfs" -- not even Trump managed that, which speaks volumes -- but yes, France had serious shortcomings, which Macron, to his credit, has now acknowledged and apologized for. They're looking to massively step up contact tracing and testing, so have at least learned the right lessons.

With the almost total lack of immunological data I'm astonished that such a line could be taken.
Likewise. Apparently it's an "orthodoxy", which by its nature, rests on dogma, not evidence: but that orthodoxy related specifically to influenza, which is why it's crucial to know what lay behind the decision to extend it to a novel SARS virus.

Not as crap as "we're gonna deliberately unleash a virus we know will slaughter 250,000+ to generate 'herd immunity', so take it on the chin, serfs" -- not even Trump managed that, which speaks volumes -- but yes, France had serious shortcomings, which Macron, to his credit, has now acknowledged and apologized for. They're looking to massively step up contact tracing and testing, so have at least learned the right lessons.
Not as crap in words, but perhaps as crap in action. But yes I saw that from Macron. How long will we have to wait for similar from the UK's clown cabinet?

Problem is, though, as we know, that negative results of any easing, if there are any, won't show up for weeks. There is a danger here - those countries that ease are almost bound to see improved results in the first week or two weeks after easing regardless. That's why a clear track and trace system ought to be in place first...
Absolutely, would be criminally negligent to release the lockdown without one. The first indication's come with the contact tracing app, but that's just one component.

Likewise. Apparently it's an "orthodoxy", which by its nature, rests on dogma, not evidence: but that orthodoxy related specifically to influenza, which is why it's crucial to know what lay behind the decision to extend it to a novel SARS virus.

Which related specifically to an influenza VACCINE.

Which related specifically to an influenza VACCINE.
In any epidemiology worth the name, yes; but tragically, not in what passes for the minds of the medical establishment. Including Scotland's chief doctors and public health officials, so goes far beyond Cummings' fanboys. Discovering just how this belief became so entrenched while flying under the RADAR is perhaps the Rosetta that'll unlock the whole sorry mess.

2-3 weeks. Maybe 4.

Interesting. Also kind of sooner than I was thinking, and among people I've spoken to IRL (not experts, just like I'm not), I've been feeling a bit like an outlier by saying maybe early June.

In any epidemiology worth the name, yes; but tragically, not in what passes for the minds of the medical establishment. Including Scotland's chief doctors and public health officials, so goes far beyond Cummings' fanboys. Discovering just how this belief became so entrenched while flying under the RADAR is perhaps the Rosetta that'll unlock the whole sorry mess.

Epidemiology is one of the things I have a tangential link to some kind of background in, that's maybe influencing me, but the first thing you need in order to base ANYTHING on has to be the immunology data, surely? :confused:

Even setting aside the substantial medical and economic consequences, as indicated by the string of reports into house parties and trips over the Easter weekend, there's a limit to how long you can keep lockdowns going before they start to fall apart.

Mass house arrest was always awful, and that it needed to be imposed speaks of a public health failure on an epic scale: it's just that, thanks to that failure, the alternative was even worse.

Epidemiology is one of the things I have a tangential link to some kind of background in, that's maybe influencing me, but the first thing you need in order to base ANYTHING on has to be the immunology data, surely? :confused:
Absolutely. What data did "the science" (for which I read, "the magisterium") employ to advise uncontrolled spread of SARS-CoV-2? Was there anything specific, or did they just work off the influenza plan?

That some of Britain's top doctors and scientists advised this (and regardless of how compliant they may be, both Vallance and Whitty have impressive résumés) indicates systemic failings in medicine and academia, failings that we weren't warned of.

Even setting aside the substantial medical and economic consequences, as indicated by the string of reports into house parties and trips over the Easter weekend, there's a limit to how long you can keep lockdowns going before they start to fall apart.

Mass house arrest was always awful, and that it needed to be imposed speaks of a public health failure on an epic scale: it's just that, thanks to that failure, the alternative was even worse.
Take those reports with a generous pinch of scepticism, though. I've no doubt that they are happening, but they are being highlighted in the press a) because it makes a good story, and b) because these stories are being fed to the press in order perhaps to discipline us and, I increasingly suspect, as a diversion tactic to distract from the govt's failures in the face of terrible death rates. Headlines about reckless parties are far preferable to the govt than headlines about its incompetence.

Take those reports with a generous pinch of scepticism, though. I've no doubt that they are happening, but they are being highlighted in the press a) because it makes a good story, and b) because these stories are being fed to the press in order perhaps to discipline us and, I increasingly suspect, as a diversion tactic to distract from the govt's failures in the face of terrible death rates. Headlines about reckless parties are far preferable to the govt than headlines about its incompetence.
They're certainly useful to those who want to obfuscate, and I'm ignoring nonsense about hikers alone in national parks, but police did report (going from memory) over a hundred house parties broken up in one city. There's been similar reports of tensions in other countries with lockdowns. That, along with the fact that not even China tried to keep it going for more than a few months indicates that lockdown's not a long-term solution, but an emergency measure to get those solutions in place.

Absolutely. What data did "the science" (for which I read, "the magisterium") employ to advise uncontrolled spread of SARS-CoV-2? Was there anything specific, or did they just work off the influenza plan?

That some of Britain's top doctors and scientists advised this (and regardless of how compliant they may be, both Vallance and Whitty have impressive résumés) indicates systemic failings in medicine and academia, failings that we weren't warned of.

I said this weeks ago, but if there was a shred of evidence for "herd immunity" being a viable plan we would have been deluged with stats, information, broadcasts, leaflets and friendly animations with more data than even the most avid kickball fan could crunch.

They're certainly useful to those who want to obfuscate, and I'm ignoring nonsense about hikers alone in national parks, but police did report (going from memory) over a hundred house parties broken up in one city.
Hmmm. If you're referring to reports a few days ago from Manchester, that's a classic case in point. The Manchester Police's numbers were about house parties reported to them (so how many people phoned in with complaints about noisy neighbours). By the time it made it to the front page of the BBC's website, the headline had magically transformed this into the police having broken up that number of parties. It wasn't true.

I said this weeks ago, but if there was a shred of evidence for "herd immunity" being a viable plan we would have been deluged with stats, information, broadcasts, leaflets and friendly animations with more data than even the most avid kickball fan could crunch.
Of course, it wasn't evidence based, it was dogma, but that dogma didn't just come from Cummings' fevered imagination, it was given to him by the government's medical and scientific advisors, apparently as the only option. (There's no indication they even suggested a containment and viral elimination plan.)

To repurpose a phrase that's all too relevant, the origins of this dogma need to be traced, before it's rooted out from medicine and academia.

Hmmm. If you're referring to reports a few days ago from Manchester, that's a classic case in point. The Manchester Police's numbers were about house parties reported to them (so how many people phoned in with complaints about noisy neighbours). By the time it made it to the front page of the BBC's website, the headline had magically transformed this into the police having broken up that number of parties. It wasn't true.
This is GMP'S report from before the Easter weekend, which of course depends on how they're defining house parties (insert irreverent answers here!).

This is GMP'S report from before the Easter weekend, which of course depends on how they're defining house parties (insert irreverent answers here!).
Yep that's it. Complete misreporting by the BBC. 'reports of' not 'breaking up'. There was another article on the same thing in the Manchester local press that gave the same figures and gave a similar misrepresentation of them, although not quite as blatant as the BBC's spin.

As I said on another thread, I could have added a dot to that map if I'd known, just by phoning in a report.

The police are also seeking to talk up their importance here, of course. See, people are misbehaving, but aren't we doing well? Aren't you grateful we're here otherwise the lockdown would fall apart.

Irony of that is that I've seen more coppers violating the distancing rules than anybody else over the last few weeks. Useless muppets.

Interesting. Also kind of sooner than I was thinking, and among people I've spoken to IRL (not experts, just like I'm not), I've been feeling a bit like an outlier by saying maybe early June.

I'm mentally trying to accept end of June. Based on if I recall, some vague mention of 3 months. The science might idealy require longer than that but I don't think a prolonged lock down into summer an autumn is politically or socially acceptable. Even if lifted then, I do not expect to see mass gatherings, gigs, unfettered travel returning for a lot longer.

But who knows. If there's no testing, contact tracing, PPE for front line staff, suitable masks for *everyone else, lock down or further spikes in deaths could be the options.

*Despite earlier posts I made regarding my skeptisism about masks, if it's a necessary component of lifting our lock down, so be it.

I've heard nothing about contact tracing. Surely there must be something on that front before easing things.
Hancock announced this automatic contact tracing app in yesterday's presser, which is clearly modelled on South Korea's and Singapore's. Crucial that it's joined to other measures and boots on the ground -- could just see them trying to trace on the cheap -- but it's a start.

There's signs that dogmatic medical resistance is weakening. Even Vallance, one of the chief architects of this public health disaster, has admitted that tracing and testing would be useful at the end of an epidemic. Whitty's no less involved, but had the sense to praise Germany last week, so is opening the door to a u-turn. The deputy-CMO appears implacably opposed for some reason I neither know nor particularly care about, but can presumably be overruled.

How the British medical establishment fell so badly out of step with international norms is gonna be one of the central questions at any inquiry.

Yep that's it. Complete misreporting by the BBC. 'reports of' not 'breaking up'. There was another article on the same thing in the Manchester local press that gave the same figures and gave a similar misrepresentation of them, although not quite as blatant as the BBC's spin.

As I said on another thread, I could have added a dot to that map if I'd known, just by phoning in a report.

The police are also seeking to talk up their importance here, of course. See, people are misbehaving, but aren't we doing well? Aren't you grateful we're here otherwise the lockdown would fall apart.

Irony of that is that I've seen more coppers violating the distancing rules than anybody else over the last few weeks. Useless muppets.

Yup. There's a huge difference between reports of parties and actual parties. Like I did a zoom karaoke session the other day - it could easily sound like multiple people were in my flat. And the houses across the road are mostly shared houses where there might well be five or six youngish people all hanging out playing music and having a barbeque in their back garden on a warm day, but they already live together and share a kitchen and bathroom. There's not only no rule against them going into their garden together, it would make no sense if there was. But I bet some of them got reported.

The deputy-CMO appears implacably opposed for some reason I neither know nor particularly care about, but can presumably be overruled.

There is plenty of variation in how slippery with words and substance and politics the various press conference participants are. But broadly speaking they are all there to articulate and justify the government position on various things at that moment in time. It is therefore important to consider then when, even more than the who. What she said then was a defence of their stance on those issues in the past and up till that moment. When the government stance changes, all these people are likely to sing the new tune, in their own style.

How the British medical establishment fell so badly out of step with international norms is gonna be one of the central questions at any inquiry.

As I've said many times, they really didnt fall badly out of step with those norms. The international norms had some obvious weaknesses in terms of pandemic assumptions, and also certain areas of flexibility, where all manner of national circumstances and competing interests were accomodated for in the recommendations. This is why, in many respects, EU countries followed broadly the same approach, but exceptions to this were to be found in countries that had some vastly different capacity on some fronts. Germany is the obvious example, and they could follow the same ECDC advice as everyone else, but could simply take certain aspects of it further than many other nations because they had a large, flexible, decentralised diagnostics/testing setup already in place, that could respond on a scale that unlocked certain other options. The international and regional norms allowed for this, but also allowed for all the countries that utterly failed on this front due to their lack of existing diagnostics scaleability.

The failures in this country cover a long period of time, and I'm sure an argument could also be made that the British establishments tendency towards top down control freakery, centralised power with somewhat superficial and token layers of devolved power doesnt lend itself for the mostly timely and flexible response. It might have been easier to still respond somewhat effectively with such a rigid system, if it had at least properly funded all the required services and facilities for the last 40 years. Its so much harder to make decent choices when the priorities for decades have set us up for failure.

Back
Top Bottom