Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

breaching the Coronvirus Act, thus, criminal

Coronavirus act seems to only have these provisions:

• Members of the public who refuse to comply with these rules could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £60, which will be lowered to £30 if paid within 14 days.
  • Second-time offenders could be issued a fixed penalty notice of £120, doubling each time there is another offence.
  • Those who do not pay the penalty can be taken to court, with magistrates able to impose unlimited fines.
  • Officers will be able to arrest you if you refuse to give a name or address to avoid being given a fine.

Would be good if they had clearly publicised the penalties to everyone wouldn't it.
Maybe the bbq people arrested under some other older law?

People not staying in are risking others lives. Should they be exempt from the same risk?
I'm not staying in because I'm a key worker, as are many others on these boards.

Lots of others have to go out to get food and other necessities for themselves, their families and their neighbours.

Most people who are not literally housebound are going out to exercise, some once a day, some less often.

All of these people all following the government guidelines (for what they're worth) but all of them are, to some extent, risking the health and even perhaps the life of themselves and others, primarily those close to them, rather than those they may fleetingly pass close to in the street, park or supermarket.

Do you wish death on all of them too, or do even you realise how ridiculous that would make you?

I read somewhere that in France some hotels are now being used as refuges for domestic violence victims as the lockdown is causing a huge increase in violence in the home.
Anyone heard any similar initiatives being talked about in this country ?

Eta

I think The39thStep mentioned this in the football thread.

Let's hope initiatives like this and others targeting help for vulnerable groups can make an impact.

Could you walk on the spot? Or do without exercise for, say, a couple of weeks?
Walking on the spot for more than a couple of minutes would be painful given my joint/rheumatological problems (as an 'unnatural movement'). In terms of exercise, I'm supposed to do it regularly, on medical advice. Admittedly, part of that is stretches, which I can do at home, but I am advised - medically - to walk. And as far as I know, that's 100% in line with current government Covid advice.

I'm not staying in because I'm a key worker, as are many others on these boards.

Lots of others have to go out to get food and other necessities for themselves, their families and their neighbours.

Most people who are not literally housebound are going out to exercise, some once a day, some less often.

All of these people all following the government guidelines (for what they're worth) but all of them are, to some extent, risking the health and even perhaps the life of themselves and others, primarily those close to them, rather than those they may fleetingly pass close to in the street, park or supermarket.

Do you wish death on all of them too, or do even you realise how ridiculous that would make you?

Maybe you could not say I said the opposite of what I said. But thanks for agreeing with me.

Whoever provides the UK gov press conference stream to the media didnt press the button at the right time and everyone missed the start, they were already into the Q&A section by the time the feed appeared.

ah yep. "“The man was initially arrested after allegedly refusing to provide his details. .'
I quite like this enterprising thinking . It's the sort of thing you'd expect a 1950s cop to do.

After several minutes of discussions between the force and the two beach-goers, a police officer poured a helmet filled with water over the barbecue to extinguish it.

ah yep. "“The man was initially arrested after allegedly refusing to provide his details. .'

And, both were charged, even after he was de-arrested, for breaching Schedule 21 of the Coronavirus Act 2020.

I assume this bit...

Offences
88(1)A person commits an offence if the person—

(a)fails without reasonable excuse to comply with any direction, reasonable instruction, requirement or restriction given to or imposed on the person under this Part of this Schedule,

<snip>
(2)A person guilty of an offence under this paragraph is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Source - the ACT.

Level 3 allows for fines of up to £1000 each, rather than £60 on the spot fines, the twats,. :D

What annoys me [about this discussion] is that I'm 100% in favour of social distancing, exercising (pun not intended) some restraint and making adjustments to your life for the social good. It just seems like it would be better if we got to that point with a sense of community and collectivity, with a bit of 'education' even and less misanthropy. I'd also rather all that energy went into getting some safety equipment and safe working conditions for supermarket workers, for example. Shops (and hospitals) are where people are catching Covid 19, not footpaths.

Went out for a walk today and the most people lounging about I saw were in the gardens on Eaton Square, though because they are IIRC private its obviously ok.

:mad:

I quite like this enterprising thinking . It's the sort of thing you'd expect a 1950s cop to do.

Carry On Locking Down!

ti110500.jpg

This medical expert in the press conference is incredibly irritating. Loves the sound of her own incredibly annoying voice. Bring back the weird bald guy!

Not relevant. Food and drink retailers can remain open. There's no point quibbling about whether it's ok to buy milk but not coffee, or a sandwich with ciabatta bread vs sliced white.

Take-away coffee is not an essential purchase, which my local Tesco shop seems to understand, having switched off their Costa coffee machine & put a note on it saying, 'We are currently unable to sell hot drinks', sorry that you are struggling to understand this simple fact.

Tbf, rightly or wrongly, it's within the rules to sell a takeaway coffee, so buying one must be allowed. Even if it needn't be.

Nope.

This medical expert in the press conference is incredibly irritating. Loves the sound of her own incredibly annoying voice. Bring back the weird bald guy!

Its the substance of what they say that bothers me. This isnt the first time that Jenny Harries the Deputy CMO has wound me up when the WHO comes up. The other day it was a patronising response about how the W stands for world, and how we are world-leaders who share our experience with other, less capable countries. Avoiding the point, which was UK resistance to the WHO stance on mass testing.

And now she said this today, in the context of protective equipment:

The basic guidance was entirely appropriate, as I say endorsed by WHO despite I think some media reporting about differences

Bollocks.

Its the substance of what they say that bothers me. This isnt the first time that Jenny Harries the Deputy CMO has wound me up when the WHO comes up. The other day it was a patronising response about how the W stands for world, and how we are world-leaders who share our experience with other, less capable countries. Avoiding the point, which was UK resistance to the WHO stance on mass testing.

And now she said this today, in the context of protective equipment:

Bollocks.

Yes, she was more adept at avoiding pretty basic questions than the politician standing beside her. Which is a little worrying. Surely there's better people who could be put up for these conferences. Perhaps the Scottish one could drive down to London with her extended family and friends next time.

I wonder if the angry people have considered how almost any form of economic activity will generate potentially infectious activity. Have they not had a takeaway, or ordered something non-essential online, or rang a call centre for something that could probably wait, or are only eating the most basic foods from the nearest local shop?

It's interesting that potentially infectious activity that is contracted out on someone's behalf, due in part to economic privilege, doesn't seem to generate anywhere near the anger aimed at a few bored kids messing about or someone going for a walk because they feel lonely or depressed. Wonder how many posh people ranting away on twitter like Piers Morgan have contacted their accountants and said don't worry about getting a return this year, just put my money where it can be best used to fight the virus? Because rich people getting richer is the least esssential activity I can possibly imagine at the moment.

Take-away coffee is not an essential purchase, which my local Tesco shop seems to understand, having switched off their Costa coffee machine & put a note on it saying, 'We are currently unable to sell hot drinks', sorry that you are struggling to understand this simple fact.

I understand fully that some people may regard all sorts of takeaway food and drink as non-essential. However the government has not legislated on this basis, which is a good thing imo.

Replying to a bit of an old post now but are you vulnerable and if so have you tried Sainsbury's? I signed on to the government's on-line register a couple of weeks ago and suddenly last week I quickly got a Sainsbury's slot.

And a phone call today to tell me I'm on their list for priority deliveries. While as you say Tesco slots are three weeks ahead if then, Morrisons just not available which is a shame because I was hoping to use them because of their good treatment of staff recently. I was planning to set alarm for just before midnight for Tesco otherwise.

Thanks for the thought two sheds but no, not vulnerable I think. 56, two cancer operations in the last 6 years, including one 9 months ago, but more than that I have PVD (two blocked arteries in my leg meaning I can't walk more than 200m and puts me first in line for a heart attack - but not vulnerable). I'm fairly confident if I get the virus I'll be in some trouble because of the PVD.

We don't even have Sainsburys. Nearest one is 30 miles away and they won't deliver here.

Tesco are wankers. I'm fairly sure they got massively greedy, took on more than they could (literally) deliver, and fuck the customer like me who has been having home delivery for 2 years now.

I wonder if the angry people have considered how almost any form of economic activity will generate potentially infectious activity. Have they not had a takeaway, or ordered something non-essential online, or rang a call centre for something that could probably wait, or are only eating the most basic foods from the nearest local shop?

It's interesting that potentially infectious activity that is contracted out on someone's behalf, due in part to economic privilege, doesn't seem to generate anywhere near the anger aimed at a few bored kids messing about or someone going for a walk because they feel lonely or depressed. Wonder how many posh people ranting away on twitter like Piers Morgan have contacted their accountants and said don't worry about getting a return this year, just put my money where it can be best used to fight the virus? Because rich people getting richer is the least esssential activity I can possibly imagine at the moment.
SPOT. ON.

Yes, she was more adept at avoiding pretty basic questions than the politician standing beside her. Which is a little worrying. Surely there's better people who could be put up for these conferences. Perhaps the Scottish one could drive down to London with her extended family and friends next time.

I did laugh when someone from the Scotsman asked if Harries had a 2nd home. Sadly Hancock did not let her answer that one.

Back
Top Bottom