Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Ah ok. So 'got someone else to do my test for me' actually meant 'got someone else to do my test for me' :eek:
In my particular case all through the covid period my lodger was working as a care assistant in a hospital in N London - and used to get tests and PPI sent to his home (ie my house) by courier & had some spares left over.
So the test was one supplied in connection with his work (in 2020-22).
And it was me wot took the test.

But the point is - I was REFUSED a test at my GP surgery nearly 24 hours before (but supplied with a mask).
We love the NHS.

xenon my lodger was a qualified person I thought - having been refused by my own GP surgery. Apart from him I guess I could have gone to the dementia home I sometimes visit in Croydon - if they still do tests that is (they did in March).

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: LDC
TBH I’m not sure how to react to your above post you’ve got your lodger to do your lateral flow test… I mean that is weird. And out of order. not sure why you find that a confusing response. I can’t really be asked to continue this though.
Depends entirely on a load of circumstances we know nothing about. It seems a bit weird to jump on this as automatically "out of order".

In my particular case all through the covid period my lodger was working as a care assistant in a hospital in N London - and used to get tests and PPI sent to his home (ie my house) by courier & had some spares left over.
So the test was one supplied in connection with his work (in 2020-22).
And it was me wot took the test.

But the point is - I was REFUSED a test at my GP surgery nearly 24 hours before (but supplied with a mask).
We love the NHS.

xenon my lodger was a qualified person I thought - having been refused by my own GP surgery. Apart from him I guess I could have gone to the dementia home I sometimes visit in Croydon - if they still do tests that is (they did in March).

Of course you were refused at your GP for a Covid test.

Do you have any idea how much clinical time and resources it would take up doing Covid tests on everyone that called up and wanted one? When you can get them cheap from the chemist and they need no medical skills to be done?

Honestly this stuff pisses me off with people moaning about the NHS, there's a fuck load of misunderstanding about how medicine and the NHS works.

You can buy a test in supermarkets for like two quid a pop and then do it on yourself like a normal person. No need to risk infecting any lodgers.
I'm keeping an eye on him. Seems OK so far - not surprising though considering my test was negative.

Of course you were refused at your GP for a Covid test.

Do you have any idea how much clinical time and resources it would take up doing Covid tests on everyone that called up and wanted one? When you can get them cheap from the chemist and they need no medical skills to be done?

Honestly this stuff pisses me off with people moaning about the NHS, there's a fuck load of misunderstanding about how medicine and the NHS works.
I didn't call up and ask for a test. It was they who called me up and demanded I attend the surgery to measure my blood pressure and ask me questions about eating 5 a day,how much I drink (alcohol wise) and whether I clean my teeth.
How much of their "resource" is employed asking stupid questions over and over again - and refusing a request for medical assistance to boot?
Don't go there.

That's not weird, it's out of order.
It's following guidelines which through this whole thing have officially been in lockstep with whatever the government has said. But you wouldn't do the same with flu would you. My boss has been ace especially with my Covid related fears but that seemed odd. Just have to get on with it now is and possibly has been for ages the overwhelmingly most common view.

It's so great working in medicine; shouted at for being in the pockets of big pharma and just pushing drugs, shouted at for trying to give health advice and keep people off medication unless absolutely needed.

And yeah, we're totally motivated by checklists and ratings, that's definitely why we try and offer lifestyle advice and take care of people's health as holistically as we can.

I wonder why moral is so fucking low in the NHS? :rolleyes:

It's so great working in medicine; shouted at for being in the pockets of big pharma and just pushing drugs, shouted at for trying to give health advice and keep people off medication unless absolutely needed.

And yeah, we're totally motivated by checklists and ratings, that's definitely why we try and offer lifestyle advice and take care of people's health as holistically as we can.

I wonder why moral is so fucking low in the NHS? :rolleyes:
Fortunately my GP herself (should the iron-clad patient repelling booking system yield an appointment) is more resilient than that.
And she knows or lives near Matthew Sweet - so I doubt she is swayed by conspiraloons.
Even so she in not immune to going through 5 a day checklists. Since when has 5 a day been a medical matter?

True but the rate of false negatives is pretty low by the time you have developed symptoms if done right at least.

I mean there has to be some level of balance. If people are saying 'test', but then if you get a negative, 'oh it might be false negative' it all becomes a bit pointless. On top of that hardly anyone is testing really ime, and where I work I'm seeing patients face to face every day with coughs etc. who are all out and about anyway and very, very few people are wearing masks for anything.

I mean there has to be some level of balance. If people are saying 'test', but then if you get a negative, 'oh it might be false negative' it all becomes a bit pointless. On top of that hardly anyone is testing really ime, and where I work I'm seeing patients face to face every day with coughs etc. who are all out and about anyway and very, very few people are wearing masks for anything.
I hardly wear a mask now. I was the only person I knew wearing one for month. I still wear one if a train is crowded or going to a healthcare setting but that is about it.

Edited to add - The train is probably a waste of time no pretence that its for anybody or I'd do it on quieter trains. This shows stupidity as well as selfishness!

Reactions: LDC
So the senior manager for our client tests positive and holds a packed meeting in a non-ventilated room in our offices regardless. Somebody raises the alarm that Covid is likely to be going round the office and the IT team from head office scarper and we try to get the various vulnerable people out of the office. Our manager come out of the meeting ranting and raving that we all just have to live with Covid (at me (as usual)). But then the law is totally on his side. We have no protections against stupid spreader behaviour. 68 year old fella with serious health conditions - he struggles to breath at the best of times - was hanging around in a mask as if that would protect him.

Looks like they are nervous about the new variant

I didnt get the spring vaccine. I qualified for it but because the previous one caused problems with my liver, I was told skip it and cocoon as much as possible

Is the Autumn one a bivalent one again?

Just an anecdote but I was in hospital yesterday having some post COVID lung function tests and the doctor I was with was saying she and another on the ward had just recovered from new COVID strain and it was rougher than previous time. Just an anecdote but it immediately made me wonder if I should try and blag another vaccine shot. Hard to know what to do

I didnt get the spring vaccine. I qualified for it but because the previous one caused problems with my liver, I was told skip it and cocoon as much as possible

Is the Autumn one a bivalent one again?
The picture is complex.

Much of the advice considered ideal is to use a newer monovalent one that targets the XBB strain. But the bivalent ones from the past are still on the scene too, and much of the UK advice places logistical realities and timeliness as the top priority.

And for cases where mRNA vaccines are not considered clinically suitable, Sanofi/GSK AS03-adjuvanted monovalent beta variant (VidPrevtyn Beta) is listed.

For example see this page from July:

The picture is complex.

Much of the advice considered ideal is to use a newer monovalent one that targets the XBB strain. But the bivalent ones from the past are still on the scene too, and much of the UK advice places logistical realities and timeliness as the top priority.

And for cases where mRNA vaccines are not considered clinically suitable, Sanofi/GSK AS03-adjuvanted monovalent beta variant (VidPrevtyn Beta) is listed.

For example see this page from July:

Quick question..before I attempt to read that..is pfizers vaccine monovalent?

Quick question..before I attempt to read that..is pfizers vaccine monovalent?
Cant say from brand alone, since both Moderna and Pfizer do the XBB monovalent and the previous bivalent versions.

And I dont know what the current supply realities are for the UK. And back in July the new monovalent ones had the 'subject to licensure' caveat attached but Im out of date as to whether that license has since been granted.

Cant say from brand alone, since both Moderna and Pfizer do the XBB monovalent and the previous bivalent versions.

And I dont know what the current supply realities are for the UK. And back in July the new monovalent ones had the 'subject to licensure' caveat attached but Im out of date as to whether that license has since been granted.
Ok..thanks very much.

I'm between 2 minds about vaccination..because of the reaction to bivalent moderna last year..and the fact I am mostly cocooning.
I'll check with the consultants and see what they think.

It is possible that their nervousness was enhanced by a care home outbreak of the new variant.

I've just posted about that here: #533 but I will quote a bit that may have especially influenced their decision to move the vaccination programme timing:

At least 29 out of 33 the residents who tested positive had received a dose of COVID-19 vaccination as part of the spring booster campaign around 4 months prior to the outbreak and all 4 of the residents who tested negative had received a spring booster.

Back
Top Bottom