Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Most kids are pretty asymptomatic and only got picked up because they were testing all the time - now they aren't.
I think there is less testing to a degree, but people usually started checking if they heard of cases in the year. But you may be right that people didn't even notice symptoms in kids. I wouldn't have noticed anything when my son had it in January, but tested him as a close friend was positive.

There have been loads of children off with cough, colds and tummy bugs at my daughter's infants school, but no one is testing kids. Lots of parents have been off with covid so children have been off because parents haven't been able to bring them in.

Most kids are pretty asymptomatic and only got picked up because they were testing all the time - now they aren't.

Not so much with this latest version. We had loads of kids off with covid the last two weeks of term, maybe 15-20% of them altogether, and given that tests aren't available any more they're presumably symptomatic. At least half the staff have been off with covid at some point in the last six weeks.

E2a: Last week of term is fun activities/general dossing about week so skiving is unlikely to account for much of that absence.

Last edited:
Bit of proprietary data for you -- the COVID-related claims from a Europe-wide (including UK) life insurer. I have smoothed and removed the scale to slightly anonymise the data but word of warning that it is pretty small scale, so subject to noise.

1658755227424.png

Peak life insurance claims occurred in May 2021, but the whole of H1 2021 was the worst of it. Winter 21-22 definitely saw a mini surge, though.

Feeling a bit annoyed today. Had a work meeting and was informed that "most people manage to work with covid" - erm, I'm "relatively" young and "relatively" healthy, and the recent bout made me sicker than I can remember for years. This myth that it's just like a cold is so out of date and frankly offensive!

Glad in a way that I've just had it and recovered, because there will be a lot of it about over the summer, and we don't get paid when off sick...

Yes, and the peak showed up pretty clearly in hospital data too. And because we cant rely on the standard testing regime for good data any more, and the ONS data is laggy, the peak showed up first in the daily hospital data this time. Well actually it showed up first in ZOE data, but I had to wait for confirmation from other data sources before making too big a deal about that. Plus when peak first showed up in hospital data, I couldnt entirely rule out the possibility that any in hospital testing regime shortages or changes, or changes to admissions policies/flow due to strain on the system, might have impacted on the data, so I needed another source to lend further credibility to the picture shown, which the ONS now has.

Daily hospital admissions/diagnoses in England up to July 26th, from a spreadsheet at Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity :

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 12.46.png

'For' and 'with' number of Covid patients in England in hospital beds up to July 26th, using data from that same NHS page:

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 12.45.png

UK autumn booster rollout to start on 5 September with care home residents (then health and social care staff, everyone aged 50 and over, carers who are over the age of 16, people over 5 whose health puts them at greater risk, including pregnant women and people over 5 who share a house with somebody with a weakened immune system).

Original (WT) formulation vaccines will be available. Bivalent vaccines will be offered subject to supply.

Will it be better to try and receive the bivalent vaccine rather than just another jab of the old one?

You won't be able to try, nor should you. Imagine the mess if X million people tried to get the jab they wanted rather than the offered one.

You won't be able to try, nor should you. Imagine the mess if X million people tried to get the jab they wanted rather than the offered one.
Are you in the UK? In glorious Brexitland we get what we are given, if at all.

Depressing cheapskate government shit. I get to see this article on HSJ because its Covid related so I dont need a paid subscription but did need a free account.

The families of any NHS and social care staff who died from covid in the most recent waves will not be eligible for the covid death assurance scheme launched at the start of the pandemic, it has emerged.

The scheme closed on 31 March, despite pleas from the Royal College of Nursing to keep it open. Since it was set up in April 2020, it has paid out £60,000 lump sums to the estates of 688 workers. A further 42 cases have been declined and 29 applications are still being processed.

The front page of the Telegraph draws on some grubby Sunak interview with the Spectator which indicates that Sunak is still rather proud to point out what an absolute pandemic disgrace he was. I dont like to contemplate how many more deaths there would have been if he had gotten his way, and his pathetic signalling about how we should have listened to scientific advice even less is an especially vulgar piece of revisionist pandemic history. The only good thing about the other, non-Sunak parts of the Johnson regime during the pandemic is how readily they u-turned on various key issues, since even they were not stupid enough to stick rigidly to Sunaks stance in the pre-vaccine era, there came a point in each of the first few waves where they blinked, thank fuck.

Sunak is surely a champion of the very worst establishment instincts and priorities in this country.

This shit also features the bogus claim that we could somehow have avoided causing a NHS backlog if we had avoided lockdowns. Delusional shit, disgusting double-think, nonsense of the worst kind.

Its also a complete lie for him to suggest they didnt acknowledge the trade-offs from the beginning - they actually shouted very loudly about the need for balance and those sorts of trade-offs, they used that sort of logic all the way through their doomed initial attempts to resist lockdowns and school closures till mid March 2020, and then again every subsequent time that they sought to delay the inevitable and ignore the scientific advice for as long as possible. And they got the scientific/medical figureheads like Whitty and Vallance to sing from that same hymn sheet in public during those early days. Whitty in particular was very keen to go on about the need for balance, the downsides of having to take very tough action. Ultimately none of them could make the 'keep things open' numbers add up though, the waves were too big, so in the pre-vaccine era they simply had to buckle, it was just a question of when. And actually, if you want to achieve the best possible balance, acting early is the best approach, so you dont have to do stuff for quite so hard and long as ends up being necessary once you've squandered the opportunity to reduce the levels of transmission well before the levels of infection reached a staggering extent.

To buy into this shitty narrative requires not just a certain set of beliefs, not just a rewriting of history, not just the removal of many inconvenient facts from the picture, but also requires us to forget what the realities were in many other comparable countries during that period. This drivel is the return of British exceptionalism in even more absurd form. If this shit persists then there will come a time when it rubs uneasily against the very different conclusions that the public inquiry should draw, even if that inquiry is watered down and manages to find a few things that dont always neatly fit with my version of basic pandemic reality.

I've not bothered to seek out the full story, this snippet from the front page is more than enough.

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 01.54.20.png

Last edited:
Perhaps in order to appeal to the Telegraph variety of tory party members, he'll soon promise to make sure CMO stands not for chief medical officer, but rather chief murdering officer.

Perhaps in order to appeal to the Telegraph variety of tory party members, he'll soon promise to make sure CMO stands not for chief medical officer, but rather chief murdering officer.
You leave Chris Whitty out of it. I was "under him" for 3 weeks at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases - because my bloody GP receptionist sent me home "You just got 'flu - were are too busy on the run up to Christmas etc etc..."
YES - NHS GP receptionists were dragons who killed even in 1996, when Covid was a twinkle in Jiang Zemin's eye.
Could have been worse - Simon Hughes' brother died of malaria back then, which is why we had free anti-malarials in Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham - until abolished by the Tories.

I'm fairly sure a lot of the stuff he's come out with lately has just been made up on the spot in a desperate attempt to pry some swivel-eyed votes away from Liz Truss. But there's no such excuse available for his shitfuckery during the height of the pandemic.

And here is the BBCs version of it. Its treated as a political story where the analysis is all about the leadership contest rather than any sene of pandemic reality and basic fact. There isnt much of the usual injection any sense of balance beyond template responses from current government spokespeople, except for a couple of short sentences. At least one of those is "A report from MPs last year said the UK should have acted sooner to stop Covid spreading early in the pandemic."

It also includes the following:

In his interview, Mr Sunak also hit out at campaign posters showing Covid patients on ventilators, saying it was "wrong" to "scare people".

I've probably mentioned the phrase mood music hundreds of times in this thread, so I doubt I need to explore that stuff all over again in depth. Getting people to adjust their behaviour was key. But again its complete bollocks to pretend that if the government had stuck with a 'dont use scary messages, dont do very much' plan, that people would magically have carried on with their lives. Plenty of people would have been even more scared by the governments inaction and the terrible death rate. There was no way to keep normal hospital activity, normal economic activity, consumer confidence etc going during those nasty pre-vaccine covid waves, the only choice for government was whether to try to join in with this reality and try to get on board and bring some order to the chaos, or whether to remain dangerously detached from reality, peddling false reassurances that stood no chance of working in the face of the number of hospitalisations and deaths.

Although he is coming out with this shit so overtly now for leadership election reasons, and while he's still in the public eye enough to influence how history will record hm, this crap stance is entirely consistent with what we already knew about his pandemic position. For example its no surprise that he didnt like the messages of fear, because the entire point of his deadly, misguided 'eat out to help out' scheme was to get a big chunk of the public to travel back away from those fears at a stage where the first moment of maximum danger had passed, to restore more economic activity at that point than would otherwise have been the case. Never mind that it helped ensure the second wave got a foothold more quickly, or that his attempts to delay the second lockdown and economic support ultimately made our second wave deadlier and our lockdowns longer than they could have been.

You leave Chris Whitty out of it. I was "under him" for 3 weeks at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases - because my bloody GP receptionist sent me home "You just got 'flu - were are too busy on the run up to Christmas etc etc..."
YES - NHS GP receptionists were dragons who killed even in 1996, when Covid was a twinkle in Jiang Zemin's eye.
Could have been worse - Simon Hughes' brother died of malaria back then, which is why we had free anti-malarials in Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham - until abolished by the Tories.

Sorry to hear that. I dont have a negative opinion of him as a doctor, I dont have any opinion at all about that side of him because I have no experience, but I would guess he is rather competent.

I tried to be mostly fair towards him during the pandemic. I would have been most negative about him during the first wave failings, because his position inevitably left him as one of the public figureheads and justifiers of the original approach. But even then I found many reasons to quote him. And he was one of the 'good guys' when it came to the second wave, eg he and Vallance ended up having to do their own press conference without Johnson etc back when the need for action was obvious in September 2020 but the government and the tory press were desperate to resist for as long as possible at any price.

These days he is almost completely invisible, likely for a number of reasons. The government approach of pretending the pandemic is mostly all over requires us not to hear much at all from people in such positions. And for any such comms efforts that still remain and are occasionally deemed necessary, the UKHSA people are the main channel these days. And he may have been shaken by the excessive attention he received from a range of fuckwits, including those who were prosecuted for manhandling him. Plus SAGE got stood down ages ago, after a long period where their advice was largely being ignored by government. Whether a time will come where we need to hear from him or any successor to him in the CMO role depends on what turns this pandemic or other diseases take in future.

Back
Top Bottom