Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Latest ONS estimates, which as usual reflect the estimated situation 1+ week ago:

In the week ending 29 June, the ONS estimates Covid rates were:
  • One in 25 in England - up from one in 30 the week before
  • One in 20 in Wales - up from one in 30
  • One in 19 in Northern Ireland - up from one in 25
  • One in 17 in Scotland - up from one in 18

There are some signs of the rate of increase slowing in some of those figures, but as usual I'm not keen to make firm peak timing or size predictions.

(Repost from the mutations thread):
The MRC Biostatistics Unit (Cambridge) suggests that, for England, the current wave will peak in the week 17th-23rd July.

National Rt estimated to be 1.26 (ie still growing), though in the NE and London it is now estimated to be <1 (ie declining).
85% of the population are estimated to have been infected at some point and 21% suffered reinfections.

Last edited:
The January and April peaks in numbers of infections are reflected in spikes in deaths. Obviously we have to wait and see what happens with this current peak.

But it's notable that while numbers of infections pre- the January peak & post the April peak were quite similar, the numbers of deaths, measured at the same points in time, dropped considerably.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.37.18.jpgScreenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.37.55.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.38.34.jpg

That Cambridge MRC report seems to come to a different conclusion about the January peak, from what ZOE estimated, by the way.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.45.10.jpg

That Cambridge MRC report seems to come to a different conclusion about the January peak, from what ZOE estimated, by the way.
You arent quite comparing like for like there, since that particular ZOE chart shows estimated number of people with symptoms, rather than new daily infections. And the wider peak in daily new infection estimates would indeed push up the peak in number of people with symptoms.

The January and April peaks in numbers of infections are reflected in spikes in deaths. Obviously we have to wait and see what happens with this current peak.

But it's notable that while numbers of infections pre- the January peak & post the April peak were quite similar, the numbers of deaths, measured at the same points in time, dropped considerably.
When comparing the three omicron peaks and their associated deaths, need to factor in a point I made throughout the pandemic so far:

Availability of testing and attitudes towards the disease have an effect not just on the old 'deaths within 28 days of a positive test' but also death certificate deaths. I wish it were not so, but it is, and at this stage of the pandemic I'd expect to see this show up quite clearly. I'd expect it to have had a little influence on the 2nd peaks figures, and an even bigger influence this time. However it likely wont be possible for me to judge the extent to which this phenomenon causes a very different death peak this time, as opposed to the difference in figures being due to a very real drop in deaths.

It was much easier for me to make this point in relation to the very first pandemic wave, because we knew pretty well where we stood with lack of tests, and there were so many deaths that we could use overall excess deaths from all causes to get a different sort of view of the likely true picture.

And I dont want to make this point in an over the top and unfair way this time. I dont want to downplay any very real drop in the number of covid deaths in the current wave. But I do still want to highlight the fact that availability of test results and establishment attitudes towards the virus have an inevitable effect on what causes end up on some death certificates. Death certificate stuff is far from a precise science, its heavily influenced by how those who are filling in the death certificates think about a disease at that moment.

Having said that, in terms of very real differences in actual numbers of deaths in reality, I would expect the spring booster campaign to have made a real difference, especially given the age group it targeted. And this is another reason I'll have to go easy if attempting to use the current waves death data to make a point about the unreliability of death certificate figures.

I made sure I logged my recent positive test on the NHS website and would encourage others to do so.
I don't really see much point in doing so. So few people are doing this now that any data generated from it is fairly meaningless. Much better to rely on infection surveys based on random sampling of the population now.

By the way when seeking to see this waves trend in deaths, and compare different cources to the death certificate figures, we can resort to an old form of death data that I hadnt really felt the need to look at for a long time, hospital ones.

NHS England hospital death figures are still published. Only once a week since the start of July (Thursdays), but still here:

If people want to use the UK dashboard 28 day test death figures, then there are several things to note. Not only is the dashboard now only updated once a week (Wednesdays), but various nations of the UK completely stopped 28 day test death figures, so you have to drill down to England rather than look at the UK graph, since the UK graph isnt going to update at all these days.

What both of these sources show is that a rise in deaths due to the current wave can be seen, but the figures are so far very low compared to all previous waves, and the rise modest.

Availability of testing and attitudes towards the disease have an effect not just on the old 'deaths within 28 days of a positive test' but also death certificate deaths. I wish it were not so, but it is, and at this stage of the pandemic I'd expect to see this show up quite clearly.

Fair enough. But what's the evidence that this is happening, or how significant an effect it's having?

Fair enough. But what's the evidence that this is happening, or how significant an effect it's having?
I already explained that it will be very hard to determine the extent to which that pehnomenon is distorting the picture. This is one of the reasons that actually having a decent, comprehensive test system is desirable in the first place. If we had a perfect way to work round the limitations of death certificate figures then this issue wouldnt matter so much in the first place.

And so I have no expectation of being able to give peoples a sense of scale of the distortion. But I think its completely fair to still point out that the phenomenon exists. The phenomenon is after all a big reason why even the establishment bothers to track various forms of excess mortality data, in an attempt to get another view of situations which can somewhat bypass these limitations. So I should not have to prove that the phenomenon is well known (though not shouted about) and is already acknowledged implicitly by the establishment via other forms of data they pay attention to. However excess deaths tend only to be able to give a good view when the numbers involved are reasonably large, and when other factors influencing overall death rates can be estimated and factored out.

I'll still try to take a multi-angled view of this wave though. We can use various other forms of data to look for trends in those other forms of data, and raise a red flag if those trends dont show up in the same way in the death certificate death data. We can use all the other forms of death data, as well as other hospital data such as intensive care data, to attempt this. We can also resort to looking out for anecdotes (such as 'my relative died in a covid outbreak but it wasnt even mentioned on the death certificate'), which can offer clues but not good guides as to the true scale of any issues.

In a way I am very pleased that we've reached the stage of the pandemic where it is difficult to unpick all of the factors, where it is not possible to discuss the death certificate limitations to your satisfaction. Because it means there are all sorts of very real factors at play that are affecting the actual number of deaths at the same time, eg vaccines and treatments. And so I am in no way insinuating that a massive amount of death is being swept under the carpet. What I am doing is being clear that this year, due to changes in attitudes and testing, makes it harder to make straightforward comparisons to the data from the current wave compared to previous waves. And that the change has been gradual but is now likely significant, but that there are no perfect ways to adjust the data to allow for for these changes. And that such an evolved picture and attitudes have influence well beyond the obvious stuff that directly involves positive tests, it influences death certificates too.

I already explained that it will be very hard to determine the extent to which that pehnomenon is distorting the picture. This is one of the reasons that actually having a decent, comprehensive test system is desirable in the first place. If we had a perfect way to work round the limitations of death certificate figures then this issue wouldnt matter so much in the first place.

And so I have no expectation of being able to give peoples a sense of scale of the distortion. But I think its completely fair to still point out that the phenomenon exists. The phenomenon is after all a big reason why even the establishment bothers to track various forms of excess mortality data, in an attempt to get another view of situations which can somewhat bypass these limitations. So I should not have to prove that the phenomenon is well known (though not shouted about) and is already acknowledged implicitly by the establishment via other forms of data they pay attention to. However excess deaths tend only to be able to give a good view when the numbers involved are reasonably large, and when other factors influencing overall death rates can be estimated and factored out.

I'll still try to take a multi-angled view of this wave though. We can use various other forms of data to look for trends in those other forms of data, and raise a red flag if those trends dont show up in the same way in the death certificate death data. We can use all the other forms of death data, as well as other hospital data such as intensive care data, to attempt this. We can also resort to looking out for anecdotes (such as 'my relative died in a covid outbreak but it wasnt even mentioned on the death certificate'), which can offer clues but not good guides as to the true scale of any issues.

In a way I am very pleased that we've reached the stage of the pandemic where it is difficult to unpick all of the factors, where it is not possible to discuss the death certificate limitations to your satisfaction. Because it means there are all sorts of very real factors at play that are affecting the actual number of deaths at the same time, eg vaccines and treatments. And so I am in no way insinuating that a massive amount of death is being swept under the carpet. What I am doing is being clear that this year, due to changes in attitudes and testing, makes it harder to make straightforward comparisons to the data from the current wave compared to previous waves. And that the change has been gradual but is now likely significant, but that there are no perfect ways to adjust the data to allow for for these changes. And that such an evolved picture and attitudes have influence well beyond the obvious stuff that directly involves positive tests, it influences death certificates too.
Fair enough, that seems reasonable to me.

Since deaths have come up, I may as well highlight a little bit of all cause death registrations per week ONS data for England & Wales, even though it might have been better to wait until tomorrow when another weeks worth of data will be available.

Since this is death registrations rather than instances, some of the spikes and troughs are caused by registration delays for reasons such as bank holidays. Even so we can see a pattern - this year we were initially doing better than the previous year and the 5 year average, and then by March that was no longer the case, and still isnt the case.

For now I will leave it to someone else to observe any gap between the number of deaths being reported as due to covid, and the extent to which total deaths per week are exceeding the norm. Any formal attempt to use such a gap to determine extent of possible undercounting of covid deaths at the moment will be complicated by factors including the sorry state of the ambulance & hospital service at the moment, and any picture that may exist in regards other diseases.

Data is from Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional - Office for National Statistics

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 14.52.png
Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 14.55.png

Last edited:
Grim situation on the ambulance/hospitals front:

• All ambulance trusts now on highest level of alert due to extreme pressures
  • One leader in the north says situation is “dire for patients and staff”
  • Possibly the “worst ever” night for ambulance handovers at emergency departments
  • Trust says one ambulance delayed for 24 hours outside A&E

One senior leader in the north of the country, who asked not to be named, said the situation was “dire for staff and patients”.

They said that at many hospitals crews are being held outside emergency departments due to overcrowding inside, with patients suffering in extreme heat in the back of the ambulances. The concerns arise because of the heatwave, staff sickness rates from covid, as well as “chronic under resourcing versus demand”.

I dont think you ca read the article without a subscription but here is a link anyway so that my source is clear. I didnt get a chance to look for other media covering this story.

Oh, I thought it was only healthcare workers that could log their results now, so I didn't bother.

Anyone can log their results. If you log a positive test, you'll get a text to tell you've got covid. Then you'll get an email to tell you you've got covid. Then you'll get another email telling you how to log your result on the NHS covid app, so that it can also tell you that you have covid.

I dont think you ca read the article without a subscription but here is a link anyway so that my source is clear. I didnt get a chance to look for other media covering this story.

Our local hospital is on black alert again, which means they're asking any and all staff anywhere to come in for any shift they can possibly do.

This a fortnight before the grockles start to show up in their tens of thousands.

Our local hospital is on black alert again, which means they're asking any and all staff anywhere to come in for any shift they can possibly do.

This a fortnight before the grockles start to show up in their tens of thousands.
Its ok, the Queen gave the NHS the George Cross so everything is great, nothing to see here.

Anyone can log their results. If you log a positive test, you'll get a text to tell you've got covid. Then you'll get an email to tell you you've got covid. Then you'll get another email telling you how to log your result on the NHS covid app, so that it can also tell you that you have covid.
Swerved that particular bollock then!

The Little One has it now. Probably should have tested him before the school musical, but it was only on the way home when he talked about how many of his friends weren't there due to covid that we twigged he'd been coughing a bit. Mercifully not infected either of us, though.

No surprise, yesterday was a total and utter fucking disaster in A&E. We had people there over 24 hours waiting for a ward bed, queues out of the door, people kicking off at us, etc. A huge amount of people in for intentional overdoses for some reason as well.

(Masks re-introduced in our local Hospital too!) :cool:

There's a new and big local outbreak in the Swansea area ..... both my immediate boss and top boss have currently got it and are absent.

From an immature POV, that might sound great ( :D ).

But various things to do with peoples' (everyone's!) leave/CS flexitime/regaining time for Medical/Hospital appointments (very! relevant to my situation right now! :eek:: ), can't be sorted until they're back.

Which will be no earlier than next Monday (18/7), apparantly! :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom