Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

In the South East the daily hospital admissions/diagnoses have clearly exceeded the previous Omicron wave peak for that region in the 65-84 and 85+ age groups.

I have not repeated this exercise for other regions yet. And this graph uses 7 day averages to smooth the lines.

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 11.56.jpg

You'll see those spikes every week now because of the change to not reporting data over weekends, changes which go far beyond any weekend breaks to data there were earlier in the pandemic.

Since changes to testing, rules and attitudes make me less able to compare current case numbers to those seen in the past, I am mostly using hospital data instead. Cannot tell the difference in the daily admissions figures between cases that were hospitalised for covid, people that went into hospital for other reasons but happened to have covid, and people that went in for other reasons but then caught it in hospital. But we can still use the hospital figures to act as a guide as to overall levels of infection in different age groups.

And I am not at all happy about the way hospital admissions in England continued to rise this week.

elbows

The government's attitude has, I think, begun regressing the present situation, firstly, with the lack of public testing - and secondly, with effectively lowering the quality of information available - back down to that which occurred during the initial wave of infections.

I feel that information to allow me to manage the risks of my exposure to potential infection is becoming much less readily available.

elbows

The government's attitude has, I think, begun regressing the present situation, firstly, with the lack of public testing - and secondly, with effectively lowering the quality of information available - back down to that which occurred during the initial wave of infections.

I feel that information to allow me to manage the risks of my exposure to potential infection is becoming much less readily available.

Yes they've tried to go back to the approach that was compatible with default establishment instincts and cold calculations.

However it doesnt look like they got all the way back fast enough to achieve their objectives - the testing regime isnt dead yet and unlike those first few months, there is still testing for hospital patients. So if the resurgence of the virus happens quickly and at huge scale then they arent going to manage to hide it and the political shit will hit the fan.

There is also an additional reason why its so stupid to hide it and suppress information this time - if they are relying on the next booster campaign to keep things within the manageable limits, then in order to achieve high enough uptake the public probably need to be scared by relevant data and mood music in order that they take things seriously enough to bother with the boosters.

Are vaccinations still going to be offered for all 5-11s who want them? As I seem to remember it was announced but then have heard nothing. School sent out some info recently but just for CEV kids.

Are vaccinations still going to be offered for all 5-11s who want them? As I seem to remember it was announced but then have heard nothing. School sent out some info recently but just for CEV kids.

They announced it in a manner that left little doubt that they werent hugely enthusiastic about it and were not going to treat it as a huge priority in terms of timing.

My sister just got an appointment letter for my 10 year-old nephew. That's in Scotland though.

Fucking Wilko and the traditional approach to working when ill:

In Wilko's initial memo to staff, the company, which has 414 stores in the UK, said: "If you test positive for Covid-19 and feel well you can continue to come to work, if you feel too unwell you can follow the absence policy."

Wilko confirmed the memo was sent out and the firm has since made a U-turn.

"When we get something wrong, we hold our hands up, admit it, and work to correct the situation," the firm said.

Bliddy 'ell.

Wilko, you were being top o'the line pratts with that ...

this omicron variant BA.2 seems to be just as transmissible.
I still say that depiffle should not have removed all the social distancing & masking requirements.
guidance only is not enough when there isn't a strong sense of community & "for the common good"

I note that they've had to u-turn because they tried to get back to that destination before testing was removed, creating an unacceptable look. Once they can rely on many more people never having the opportunity to be able to afford to get tested and discover they are positive in the first place, sliding back to the old ways without a backlash seems much more likely.

Anyway my brother, SIL and two daughters all have it now. It’s finally become real to me after two years.
I noticed my 60 yo BIL was online on Facebook this morning alongside my sister ... she says she isn't confined to the shed - but no mention of BIL and nephew being infected ...

My manor is once more a plague pit relative to more suburban areas ... - 0.85% of those tested ...

Glad to see Wilko at least have done a U-turn on that - but they've also shown us clearly what they'll do as soon as mass testing winds down, as Elbows said.

I've seen mention of other chains doing similar to Wilko re coming in to work with covid - Iceland and Asda - only on Twitter - wonder if they'll back down on it as well? (For what that's worth, for the next month or so...)

Feels very weird that covid is suddenly "over" in terms of restrictions and measures but cases are absolutely rampant where I am in the south west, higher than ever I think. My kids' school is closing after school clubs and restricting assemblies again, loads of teachers and children off, my kids have it for the first time, my parents have it for the first time :eek:

Feels very weird that covid is suddenly "over" in terms of restrictions and measures but cases are absolutely rampant where I am in the south west, higher than ever I think. My kids' school is closing after school clubs and restricting assemblies again, loads of teachers and children off, my kids have it for the first time, my parents have it for the first time :eek:
Totally this. Mrs BassJunkie has been off school since last Thursday. She's triple jabbed and a secondary school teacher. My first poker game for 2 years this Saturday has now been cancelled because the host has tested positive. Despite my best efforts (trying to not to treat Mrs BassJunkie like a pariah) I'm still testing negative. But feel like a positive test is imminent.

Although this makes me very grateful for the vaccinations, if this was 2020 it would be a lot more terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom