Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I’m still wearing a mask on public transport, work, smaller enclosed/inside public spaces etc. but I will admit to enjoying a bit of a period where I perceive myself as having some immunity. So for example it was good going to the Royal Festival Hall on Sunday, which was rammed with families, and not feeling on edge and that I had to keep my mask on the entire time (as it’s hard to talk to the kids in noisy places with it on).

If I’m taking it off at all, it is primarily about communicating with children.

Edit: I’ll have to watch for that mindset lasting too long/becoming complacency

Just in case anyone takes this seriously, I've just finished my fifth week off work off work with Covid and (although I'm able to function OK) I'm still not fit enough to go back to work yet.

Even without considering Long Covid (which I'm not qualified to talk about) many many people are finding that getting over Covid takes a lot longer than getting over a cold or even a typical case of flu.

Some people may experience Covid as "a few days of essentially a nasty cold", but many (even those who eventually make a full recovery) do not, and it's a bit silly to assume that this is all it is.
I know and I'm not in any way ignorant of others experiences. But I know loads of people who caught it in the latest wave and have had no problem at all with it. One chap I know is severely immuno-compromised with Rheumatoid Arthritis and he was barely ill at all when he got it recently. He'd done the best part of 2 years in total isolation but is now getting on with life, going out to the pub and is currently skiing in France. If he is prepared to start living his life again, then I definitely can.

Five weeks! wow. Have you got underlying health issues or are you considered vulnerable? Are you bed ridden for all this time?
I don't have underlying health issues and I'm fully vaccinated.

I haven't been bed ridden at all, and I haven't had, eg, problems breathing. Most days since my isolation period is over I'm going for a walk, for example

I don't consider I've been "seriously ill", it's just that it's taking ages to get fully better - I have a few days of feeling more or less OK, and then back to feeling achey and tired.

And from speaking to a doctor and reading stuff online this is not unusual or particularly concerning (although it is becoming a bit frustrating). It's an established medical fact that it can take a long time to fully recover from viral infection.

There's some useful information here for anyone else experiencing similar

Supporting your recovery after COVID-19

I don't want to personalise this, but surely wearing a mask in crowded places isn't completely incompatible with 'living your life'?

i really don't understand why the whole covid thing has got so all or nothing...
This is what I feel. For the vast majority of people surely mask wearing is just a slight inconvenience? And I honestly sometimes forget I’m wearing one of the hospital ones at work.

Of course for some expense is a factor :(

I don't want to personalise this, but surely wearing a mask in crowded places isn't completely incompatible with 'living your life'?

i really don't understand why the whole covid thing has got so all or nothing...
We'll be wearing them for ever based on that. There has to be a point where we stop surely?

We'll be wearing them for ever based on that. There has to be a point where we stop surely?

dunno really - seems to have been a thing in some parts of the world for some time before covid

and maybe there is a time to stop, but when the covid map is still dark purple in large chunks, now doesn't seem to be it.

from where i'm sitting, there's a difference between 'living with covid' and 'pretend covid doesn't exist any more' which the government seems to be pushing...

and maybe there is a time to stop, but when the covid map is still dark purple in large chunks, now doesn't seem to be it.

There is very little dark purple left on the map in England & Wales, just those dirty fuckers in West Sussex. ;)

2h.png

Personally I am still wearing a mask in shops, but if things continue to go well, I'll reconsider come spring.

The thing is, stopping wearing masks won't make it go away. Personally - and your mileage may well vary - I'd rather be wearing masks for a while after the risk is minimal than stop wearing them early, and catch the fucking thing.
This is my plan.
I will re-assess in the spring, if the case rate continues to diminish (& not as an artifice of less testing)
Especially since the gov't "Living with Covid" is prompting a lot of "Ignoring it, hoping it will go away" ...

There are other chunks if you zoom in, just none quite so big

Still very little at borough/district council levels, and it's pointless zooming in further to council ward areas, when the sample numbers are so small, and the very next road to you could be showing totally different numbers.

2h.png

and that of course is with testing numbers being well down because people have swallowed the line that it's all over

Testing levels always drop after each peak, the testing levels are still very high, far higher than most countries, we've carried out much more testing than most European countries, at almost 7 tests per head, compared to 3.7 in France, 3 in Italy, and only 2.7 in Belgium.

I'm planning on keeping mine for now, and also to use it for work in the future, I used to catch at least a couple of respiratory virus in the spring and the autumn every year, the joy of working in small unventilated venues.

When did 45k cases a day and almost 1000 deaths in the last week become ignorable? Guess everyone has their number
How many cases of flu are there a day? Obviously we can't tell as it's not tested for. I'm in no way comparing flu to covid but I do wonder at what number of covid cases a day we are supposed to stop wearing masks.

From my understanding covid is incredibly contagious, it is here to stay, it reinfects repeatedly and mutates quickly. It looks like there will be this level of cases every winter. Does this mean wearing masks everywhere in crowded spaces for as long as covid is circulating? I don't think that's sellable, particularly when the overwhelming majority are fully vaxed, happy to be vaxed further and those that do get it mostly don't suffer too badly and for not much longer than a week or so.

I don't think it's about people having a number I just think it's a combination of fatigue, feeling confident that you won't get too ill if you get it and wearily accepting that it's not going away.

Just in case anyone takes this seriously, I've just finished my fifth week off work off work with Covid and (although I'm able to function OK) I'm still not fit enough to go back to work yet.

Even without considering Long Covid (which I'm not qualified to talk about) many many people are finding that getting over Covid takes a lot longer than getting over a cold or even a typical case of flu.

Some people may experience Covid as "a few days of essentially a nasty cold", but many (even those who eventually make a full recovery) do not, and it's a bit silly to assume that this is all it is.
That’s my experience too, took weeks and weeks to get over, the fatigue and brain fog. I had it in October and still probably not quite right. The gf was worse with it. Neither of us was seriously ill with it, couple of days in bed, lots of aches but not much respiratory stuff. Other people at my work suffered for months. When I had something else a couple of weeks back the post-viral bit felt similar too. It’s not trivial.

Post-pandemic I wouldnt be averse to wearing a mask if it saved lives and made clinically vulnerable people feel slightly less vulnerable and less afraid to go to the shops or use public transport. Same goes for any period where large epidemic waves of covid occurred outside the traditional season.

I dont claim to be in a majority with that view, but I find notions of the 'overwhelming majority' quite underwhelming at moments like this.

I'm not expecting a huge amount of non-pharmaceutical measures to be deployed in a heavy way when covid isnt causing ig problems on the hospitalisation and death front. Pharmaceutical measures are being asked to take the strain instead, I get that. I'd still rather take a slower, precautionary approach that has more concern for the vulnerable in society, but I am aware that although this pandemic has raised awareness of deaths on that front, a sense of fatigue and wanting it to all be over and to forget all about such things may win out in many minds. Its a shame the media etc doesnt really bother with conversations about that though, their framing is usually a long way away from having a sensible conversation about being considerate to others. There are still occasional articles from certain publications that feature the thoughts of people who are still vulnerable, but such angles dont exactly rise to the top of the news agenda or form a large part of the mood music at times like these.

Perceptions of death and risk are complicated and often vague and quite strongly tied to overall mood music. Very seldom will anyone come out with an 'acceptable number', that sort of discussion goes nowhere or just to vague comparisons with flu death numbers. People certainly knew an unacceptably high and scary number of deaths per day when they saw them in the first few waves, especially when the number was increasing every day, before a peak was reached. The height those figures reached in this country in those first two waves has consequences for perceptions now, with figures that seem small compared to those ugly heights. And people like me who looked at overall deaths could comment in the first wave that at the peak twice as many people were dying as normal, and there are no such claims to be made in the recent waves.

But there are other ways that death risks thoughts form. Such as someone you know dying of covid. And the media putting names and faces to a small fraction of the deceased. There isnt much of that from the media this time, the deaths this winter have largely been faceless as far as I can tell.

I could take for example the following article. I have no objection at all to articles like this one pointing out the pharmaceutical tools that are now available to fight this virus. And unlike the sort of shit that Nick Triggle comes out with, the tone isnt terrible, certain things are acknowledged properly, eg:

There are still more than 12,000 Covid patients in hospitals across the UK. And there could still be new and concerning variants which cause further waves of infection. If this pandemic has taught us one thing it is to avoid making rash predictions. Coronavirus will flare up again and continue to pose a threat, especially to the unvaccinated and those who have serious underlying health conditions.

Even though the Covid hospital admissions have fallen sharply, there is the growing problem of long Covid. Last month a record 1 in 50 people in the UK said they were living with lingering symptoms of Covid.

However even in an article like that one, those who have not and will not been saved by the available pharmaceuticals are not really brought into sharp focus. They are implied to exist, but the emphasis is on those who will be saved and on society not having to put much other effort in any more.

I've never heard anyone in the NHS asking for people to wear a mask and get vaccinated to protect them. I hear a lot of stuff about better pay and investment though. Just a thought.

I've never heard anyone in the NHS asking for people to wear a mask and get vaccinated to protect them. I hear a lot of stuff about better pay and investment though. Just a thought.

Some would like all of those things, and for people to wear a mask and get vaccinated to help protect other vulnerable people and patients, to reduce the burden on NHS services etc if not themselves. And its not an either/or issue, just because you jumped the shark over vaccines quite a long time ago doesnt make your excessive polarisation of these issues valid. Funding matters, pay matters, health matters.

And NHS workers are not a blob with shared opinions on everything. There is a wide array of thoughts, and plenty of divergence of opinion about the current situation and what it is still reasonable to ask people to do now. I know NHS workers who find the sort of thing you come out with about vaccines to be abhorrent or at least unwise and ignorant, but I also know at least one NHS worker who thinks my pandemic posts on this forum are a disgrace.

Nobody in the NHS has ever asked me to wear a mask or get vaccinated to protect them because .... errrrm ... I wear a mask when I should and have been vaccinated. And yes they should get better pay and there should be more investment in the NHS.

What's your point with this?

Last edited:
And it was only a few days ago I saw this in my local paper:

Nuneaton's hospital has issued a mask plea as staff are repeatedly facing backlash from rule-breaking patients.

While mandatory mask-wearing is no longer in force, the George Eliot Hospital continues to ask people to wear face coverings when on site.

But there are numbers who aren't and it has prompted the 'Eliot's chief Nurse, Daljit Athwal to issue an urgent appeal to the community.

In it she explains that staff are facing 'difficult conversations and challenges' when being forced to ask people to wear a mask.

This is a situation, she says, they should not be put in as the hospital is simply trying to keep people safe.

“People infected with COVID-19 can have very mild or no respiratory symptoms and can potentially transmit Coronavirus to others without knowing," the chief nurse said.

"That’s why we are continuing to require our staff, visitors and patients to wear masks when they are on the hospital site.

"Our staff are dedicated to keeping our patients and colleagues safe and often face difficult conversations and challenges while putting our rules into practice.

"We care for some of the most vulnerable people in our community and I ask that local people support us as we try to offer the best care we can to them."

She concluded: "Rules on face coverings may have been relaxed in wider society, but for the moment our message is ‘Inside the hospital there is no change – please wear a mask."

People not wanting to wear a mask in a hospital? :rolleyes: ffs

A tragic and inevitable consequence of those who have always been fuckwits about masks combining with the 'its all over' mood music and mask rule removal in wider society. Something as straightforward as masks brings out the worst and best in people, and is mostly a manifestation of damaged attitudes from long before the pandemic. Attitudes towards being asked to follow rules are a bit messy, sometimes because people have been damaged by arbitrary rules and authorities and people with power over them earlier earlier in life. This is just one of the factors that likely contributes to what we have seen with deprivation and risk of death from this virus. An unpleasant cycle of those who have been fucked over and damaged going on to further damage and disadvantage themselves and others. The privileged have their own version of this too, but the consequences for themselves and their communities are often rather cushioned by numerous advantages, rigged games and reduced stakes.

People not wanting to wear a mask in a hospital? :rolleyes: ffs

618964272600003c0a3cdc47.jpeg

When people talk about how we didn’t wear masks for flu as a justification for dropping them for covid. Does it cross your mind that maybe we should wear masks to prevent the spread of flu?

Some people like to compare the death figures for covid to previous years’ death figures for flu as some kind of gotcha because people have taken notice of covid and apparently didn’t care about flu deaths. Non pharmaceutical measures for covid have wiped out some strains of flu altogether, these measures have worked on flu as well.

Why is wearing a mask in an enclosed or crowded public space such a difficult thing to accept? Harder to accept than 1000 preventable deaths a week, two years in?

Back
Top Bottom