Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I know what to say - they were never intending to prevent all preventable illness and death. I give a shit about it but I know what attitudes towards such deaths were like before this virus and had no expectation of a sea change in that regard as a result of this pandemic.

And so long as results from widescale public drug trials show some benefit, they better not remove the ability of vulnerable people to get a test and its results quickly and then get access to the drugs at the appropriate moment. Not that the system has so far been perfect in terms of timing, it needs to get better not worse.

I also saw the other day that an investigation has been launched into bias in diagnostics equipment that may have been tuned to only work appropriately for some ethnicities, failing others in a bad way. eg the disgraceful situation with pulse oximeters, a subject that I do not remember gaining traction here when it first came out.

Apparently Farage has been banging on about the 17k figure during his GB News shows, but I think we can all agree he's a hopelessly clueless gimp.
I removed a shitty lamppost sticker on my way home last night that was using the ONS logo and making claims of much lower deaths (I think they got it down to 6,000 something). This stuff is just passed around and misprepresented eagerly by loons.

Has there been any research into whether people who have recently had Covid - Omicron - can still be carriers and pass it on to others despite having little chance of getting it again themselves?

If some kind of deadly mutation arose, then restrictions could and would be brought back in.
That's what I don't get with the removal of all the restrictions. We seem to be acting as if just because Omicron was far milder than the original strains, therefore we don't need to worry about Covid any more. But we KNOW that variants will keep appearing, and they won't always have the same characteristics as Omicron. Seems rather pre-emptive to declare it's all over already.

Has there been any research into whether people who have recently had Covid - Omicron - can still be carriers and pass it on to others despite having little chance of getting it again themselves?
I am presuming not. In my corona pas it says i have immunity until july the 5th having cuaght it in beginning of january So that is magic. Or something. I haven't looked into the science behind it, but the government say it and I trust them implicitly.

That's what I don't get with the removal of all the restrictions. We seem to be acting as if just because Omicron was far milder than the original strains, therefore we don't need to worry about Covid any more. But we KNOW that variants will keep appearing, and they won't always have the same characteristics as Omicron. Seems rather pre-emptive to declare it's all over already.

Just because this piece of misinformation seems to be gaining traction: omicron is not intrinsically milder than the ‘original’ strains - it is milder than delta, but is more virulent than the original Wuhan strain of lockdown 1. The reason we are seeing such apparent mildness in effect is because of the vaccinations. Without them we would be in a world of pain.

Imagine if they’d taken 5 years to develop as was being suggested as a plausible timeline back at the beginning…

Imagine if they’d taken 5 years to develop as was being suggested as a plausible timeline back at the beginning…
Wouldn't have been a problem, we'd all have caught it and built up natural immunity like Johnson wanted right at the start :thumbs:

Those of us who hadn't died, that is.

I suppose the question as far as that goes is whether restrictions now have any real impact on what would happen in that situation? A higher rate of infection now might actually improve outcomes. You could argue that reintroducing restrictions wouldn't be accepted but I think people in general have demonstrated they're more than capable of dealing with it (despite the endless 'everyone is shit' whining.)

I know Johnson would love to declare victory and that doing so would be ridiculous but I don't think that in itself means restrictions should be retained right now does it?

Just because this piece of misinformation seems to be gaining traction: omicron is not intrinsically milder than the ‘original’ strains - it is milder than delta, but is more virulent than the original Wuhan strain of lockdown 1. The reason we are seeing such apparent mildness in effect is because of the vaccinations. Without them we would be in a world of pain.
Yep - that’s why roughly 3000 people a day are dying in the US, because of a high level of vaccine/mask avoidance meaning there are big chunks of the population that are basically facing the same threat as early 2020.

Sadly no surprise to hear about the push to end mass testing sooner rather than later, but oh look they may have even explored the possibility of pushing even harder and deadlier:

One source said the Treasury had even questioned at one point whether PCR testing was still necessary for the immunosuppressed, who are eligible for antivirals if they test positive, although this was denied by the government.

British health officials are investigating a new coronavirus variant which combines features from the highly-contagious Omicron strain with the more dangerous Delta variant, according to an initial report.

An update from the UK Health Security Agency included “Delta x Omicron Recombinant” as a signal that’s currently being monitored and investigated. The variant has been detected in the UK, it said.

Specific details about the variant have not yet been released and it’s unclear how many cases have been detected so far. The recombinant, which is also known as Deltacron, has so far not been designated as a variant of concern.

Ohhh goodie with the restrictions ending. Says not a variant of concern yet.

I think they're trying to avoid being blamed for causing panic - AIR, the new variants that have turned out to be nasty were initially announced with similar mood music accompanying. It's one to watch...and in some ways would be the perfect storm: a "not too worrying" omicron strain that gets everybody nice and complacent, then WHAM, the worst of omicron and the worst of delta together. It could be messy.

Oh, that's a * great prospect [ * sarcasm] , just what we need.

Small clusters at the moment. Appears to be BA.1 with ORF1ab substituted from delta, a mutation in which is part of what perhaps gave BA.1 something of an advantage in the first place (and even then BA.2 has been eating into that dominance, though intrinsically only has a marginal advantage, if at all).

Crikey, you really can see how easily this feeds into loon circles.

'Oh really? Another variant? Deltacron? How fucking convenient' :rolleyes:

All easily dealt with of course by giving proper clear, concise messaging and stop treating us like children with 'freedom day' and other such bollocks.

Who could have predicted that though? Delta and Omicron variants coexisting and .... combining?
Recombination of RNA viruses is a well known phenomenon.

However in the past during this pandemic, when 'evidence of recombination' has been suggested, some experts have been skeptical as to whether the evidence really proves that. Presumably this is down to some combination of the person in questions existing preferences and biases combined with complications in proving that the mutation was actually a result of recombination as opposed to one of the other mechanisms for genetic change.

Just one example of something I could quote from the internet:

The high mutation rate of RNA viruses makes it problematic to understand and resolve the role of recombination in generating genomic variation. Frequent mutations will (1) increase the likelihood of convergent mutations, particularly in regions subject to strong positive selection, causing sequence similarities that can be mistaken for recombination events, and (2) introduce new changes that accumulate and obscure recognition of past recombination events. We analyzed the patterns of recombination across Betacoronaviruses using a dedicated approach to distinguish true recombination from convergent mutations. The Betacoronaviruses comprise several populations that could be considered distinct biological species in that they do not engage in gene flow with one another. Moreover, recombination events within the Sarbecovirussubgenus, which includes SARS-CoV-2, are highly biased and predominate in the spike protein region, implicating recombination as having a substantial role in host tropism and viral ecology

A handy overview of recombination in RNA viruses and the role it quite likely has been playing (to some greater or lesser degree) in the production of VOCs. Also, how it might potentially be leveraged to ultimately undermine the virus.

This weeks ONS death certificate deaths:

• Of the 1,242 deaths involving COVID-19, 65.8% (817 deaths) had this recorded as the underlying cause of death in Week 5 compared with 71.2% in Week 4.

Last Thursdays 'for' & 'with' data for patients positive with Covid in English hospital beds (data actually goes up to 8th Feb):

Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 18.55.jpg
Made using data from the 'Primary Diagnoses supplement spreadsheet from Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

This is what hospital admissions/diagnoses for England by age group look like, data goes up to February 12th and is taken from the downloads section of the UK dashboard.

I'm not posting regional versions of these graphs, but there are some differences by region. For example in the South East and South West regions, there hasnt really been a fall in admissions in the older age groups. But those regions also saw less of a rise in this wave in the first place.

I probably wont post these sorts of graphs much in future, unless there are new stories to tell with them.

Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 14.07.jpg

edit - Given the regional variation I mentioned I suppose I should post one as an example, but I'm afraid its a bit messy since I'm not smoothing out the data in these graphs.

South East region:

Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 14.18.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom