Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Sure but after 200 negative results, how many people are realistically still reporting them, esp. With recent changes in mood music about how severe omicron is, no longer needing a PCR etc etc?

I reported my first two or three negative LFTs then gave up. I can't imagine the information is useful to anyone. I would report a positive test.

I'm pretty sure the vast amount of people don't report negative laterflows - particularly when you end up having to do them nearly daily. I used to report my daughters results to her school, but don't now. I did report her positive results to the school and NHS though. We are also both part of the ONS's testing & bloods which I think helps give a clearer picture.

I have a question about the testing kits - what's the difference between the nasal & throat compared to just the throat (as in the tests, not how they work). Can you use the same solution with both tests? I seem to have some spare testers from one sort and liquids from the other.

I have a question about the testing kits - what's the difference between the nasal & throat compared to just the throat (as in the tests, not how they work). Can you use the same solution with both tests? I seem to have some spare testers from one sort and liquids from the other.

I’ve wondered about this too, but haven’t been able to find any definitive answer. From what I know about the technology I would guess they are almost certainly cross-usable - it’s probably a mixture of water, SDS (to break down virus membranes), EDTA (to stabilise the resultant solution) and a pH buffer probably using sodium and/or potassium salts. I think all the active components are in the test strip itself.

Incidentally if you have a look at the ingredients of your shampoo you’ll probably find several of the same ingredients :-D. Though I don’t advise using shampoo instead of the provided liquid.

I reported my first two or three negative LFTs then gave up. I can't imagine the information is useful to anyone. I would report a positive test.
Same. Although I belive the information is probably useful for working out overall stats so probably should really.

My entirely speculative guess would be that they're basically the same but they decided the throat bit didn't add value given a) it might put people off doing them and b) it's incredibly hard not to touch your tongue with the swab. Pretty sure I never managed it.

I'm pretty sure that the current situation is that if you test positive with an LFT and then develop symptoms, you don't need to take a PCR to confirm.

I only know this because this is what happened to me a few weeks ago and I had to read up on what the rules were in my particular circumstances.
So many people at my college are under the assumption that if you're negative with an LFT you don't have to have a PCR. Several staff and students I know have come into work with Covid symptoms for a day or two before testing positive THEN getting a PCR. This is Googleable in literally 30 seconds.

Some studies suggest that the virus shows up at detectable levels with slightly different timing in the throat compared to the nose. eg you might be able to get a positive LFT result a day earlier if you do a throat swab.

When authorities decided whether to change the instructions to exclude throat swabs, they would be weighing up factors such as the benefits of swabbing the throat against the downsides of people being put off bothering to routinely test at all because they found throat swabbing difficult or distressing.

At work, I make sure that I get LFT tested every Thursday morning, as emphatically/regularly offered, and hugely encouraged :oldthumbsup:

I've been consistently tested negative since this started in late October (?) :)

The way our testing system works in the CS, removes any worry about having to report results.

If I ever do get to test positive, I've heard that they immediately tell you to go and get PCR tested ASAP.

It's a real shame that this system doesn't apply for everyone in all forms of employment ..... :( :hmm:

So many people at my college are under the assumption that if you're negative with an LFT you don't have to have a PCR. Several staff and students I know have come into work with Covid symptoms for a day or two before testing positive THEN getting a PCR. This is Googleable in literally 30 seconds.
Yeah but it’s got trickier since COVID essentially got snotty and started presenting like a cold. My youngest and I have gone through the PCR rigmarole multiple times between us - sometimes probably triggered just by allergies for me. And I’m not regretting being cautious each of those times, but the process of thinking “this is it” and self isolating until you’ve got that negative PCR result isn’t so much of an issue if it’s happening every 3 months or less. It’s more of an issue if, between you, it’s happening every two weeks.

Basically, now “symptoms” are much more likely to be caused by other viruses and it isn’t always feasible to self isolate for every first warning sign that your nose is about to start running.

There is a section of the official dashboard that shows number of lateral flow tests conducted per day, for England at least.

eg for 3rd February 846,059 lateral flow tests were recorded. So I would think that plenty of people are reporting their negative results.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing?areaType=nation&areaName=England and scroll down a bit.

So many people work for NHS, in care settings, in shops, in education settings, prisons, then all those pupils and students and all the people testing the whole family daily while they have covid.

I haven't taken many tests and only found out recently we are meant to report LFT results. I suspect the website would collapse if everyone reported their LFTs.

Nothing on either of the boxes here say to report.

How do the test report numbers compare to number of tests sent out?

Nadine Dorries was going to donate her covid antibodies to save Boris Johnson.

"he was getting no better, he was getting no worse"

A Covid anti bodies transplant.
The interview with the prime ministers sister.
A Covid anti bodies transplant.

You can donate blood plasma.
I don’t think (nor does google) that transplanting Covid anti bodies is a thing.
“Yeah well it’s so new, even googles not heard of it”

So many people work for NHS, in care settings, in shops, in education settings, prisons, then all those pupils and students and all the people testing the whole family daily while they have covid.

I haven't taken many tests and only found out recently we are meant to report LFT results. I suspect the website would collapse if everyone reported their LFTs.

Nothing on either of the boxes here say to report.

How do the test report numbers compare to number of tests sent out?
June last year

COVID-19: Around 600 million lateral flow tests may have gone unused, says watchdog​

Only 96 million of 691 million quick-result tests have been registered since mass testing was rolled out, a report finds.​

Sky article. Too stoned to find another.

June last year

Sky article. Too stoned to find another.

More likely the tests were used, the result was negative - or voided and had to be done again - and not reported.

Also, more recently, a few people will have "been prepared" & stored a couple of boxes in case there's a shortage when they actually need them. If you recall the chaos & shortages at the end of December ... but even that doesn't explain the gap in the sent out & results reported figures ...

More likely the tests were used, the result was negative - or voided and had to be done again - and not reported.

Also, more recently, a few people will have "been prepared" & stored a couple of boxes in case there's a shortage when they actually need them. If you recall the chaos & shortages at the end of December ... but even that doesn't explain the gap in the sent out & results reported figures ...
Before I wasn’t recording my negatives with the government due to recording with work, and sometimes even failing to do that. But honestly, given how pointless the T&T seems to be, I wouldn’t report them from now because what on Earth does it achieve? It didn’t have to be this way, but a lot of this feels like a pointless admin exercise now.

In this case the BBC is wrong and Campbell is correct Campbell put the correct caveats in the presentation of the figures.
I dont know what you are playing at by taking his word for it via that pathetic wriggling response video.

I watched the original video in question, not the shitty one you posted where he was on the defensive (although Ive watched a fair chunk of that one in the past too), and indeed have just forced myself to watch the original one again before replying to you. It is a terrible disgrace and he did not put the correct caveats in the video in question at the stage of the video where it mattered. His agenda was on pretty naked display and he utterly misrepresented the data in question. In the last few minutes of the video he did take a more reasonable tone with somewhat better framing than some of his earlier shit, but as already pointed out in a debunking video that someone else already posted on this thread, he had also made some errors in regards life expectancy which still left his choice of angles near the end of the video wide open to fair criticism. Even when talking about quality of life years lost, he tried to downplay how large that loss probably was. Pathetic, disgusting shit of the most dangerous kind. Its not enough for him to stick some caveats at the end, he hugely inflated the significance of the data he presented, and distorted reality to an extent that leaves everything else he will ever say open to suspicion.

And that criticism did not just come from the BBC, the ONS themselves wrote a blog post about it. To say only 17,000 people have died from COVID-19 is highly misleading | National Statistical

I think he knows exactly what he is playing at. His exact motivations are unclear, but a simple explanation is that he has learnt what sort of audience he has ended up attracting on youtube, and had tuned much of his content to tell that audience what they want to hear.

Last edited:
And the bottom line is that the stuff he said in the main section of the video was sufficiently misleading and distorted that the likes of David Davis soiled himself by parroting it. Mission accomplished on the crap propaganda front, regardless of whether he left just enough wiggle room to issue vaguely plausible denials later. Even the criticism he got from media articles was music to his ears in terms of then being able to use it for another agenda he has adopted, which is to make stupid noises about mainstream media agendas during the pandemic. Again, I doubt this is an accident, it plays to the audience and indeed the sort of crap we heard from the likes of Trump.

Also when studying youtube propaganda, we should consider the fact that youtubers get data on things like what length of time subscribers and non-subscribers to their channel actually watch their videos for. Therefore particular attention should be paid to videos that take a particular tone and make particular claims in the earlier parts of the video, and only put caveats in towards the end. The content creators know what proportion of their audience are likely to even see the latter part. And in this case the video in question raises a massive red flag on that front, theres nothing subtle about it.

Back
Top Bottom