Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

who are all these people still working from home? Isn't it just middle-class Londoners who are doing this. It's quite alienating reading all these lifestyle articles about working from home
Mr Thora is still partially working from home and several friends/friend's partners who work for the council, NHS or local housing association are still working from home. Anyone mainly office based can surely still do so.

And several companies and organisations customer service people I've had to speak to recently are still home based.

You can't possibly have enough information to know that. So you can only have got your 'information' from tabloids and right talk shows, whose business model literally relies on them stirring up indignation about things that they've invented. Now they can't blame EU migrants for stealing jobs and healthcare, or Eurocrats for making your vacuum cleaner too weak, they're just reaching for new targets for you to get annoyed about, because annoyance drives consumption of their 'news' products, while helping the bosses target people for political gain. Some people are easily manipulated. Try not to be one of them.
it's clearly bullshit as well, as GPs and their staff are working harder than ever, just like other NHS workers

GP issues are on both the supply and demand side of things.

And there are multiple reasons why there are not enough of them, very much including the number that have retired, gone part time, or transferred to a different role within the health service. Not a new problem, its been brewing for ages as best I can tell, but its come to a head in pandemic times.

who are all these people still working from home? Isn't it just middle-class Londoners who are doing this. It's quite alienating reading all these lifestyle articles about working from home
I'm in SW Northumberland.
Still WFH, although I'm visiting the workshop at intervals to check what my team are doing.

It is more effective for me to WFH as I get fewer interruptions and less noise to distract me.
[ever tried writing a tender document next to a wood working machine shop ?]

I'm thinking it's office workers who can work remotely and whose employer will let them.

Nothing to do with geography and not always middle class people. E.g. a low paid administrative worker could work from home, an NHS consultant could not.

but surely the majority of jobs are not office based - retail, hospitality, manufacturing, health and social care etc?

Taken from reddit:

Academic research: share your views about COVID-19 to improve the UK public health​

Hi, I hope this is fine to post this invitation here. We deeply wish to hear people from every parts of the UK and from different backgrounds to share their views so we can develop new support aids for different groups in the UK.
We are a research team based at UCL and would like to invite you to take part in our research on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on health care and quality of life for different groups all over the UK.
We'd like to hear your views about the pandemic experiences of everyone to help us and policymakers to improve public health.
Please click link to find the surveys: Get Involved It will take around 20 mins.
You will receive a £2 voucher in 2 weeks after you complete the survey*.* And please feel free to share the link
You can reach us at ioe.cicada.study@ucl.ac.uk or check our website: Home for more information.

WFH has been really difficult and stressful for everyone I know - no spare room, no desk space, children at home that you have to keep quiet, partners running home based businesses like beauty or childminding.
i had to do it for just one month and i hated it.

but surely the majority of jobs are not office based - retail, hospitality, manufacturing, health and social care etc?
A lot of those people will have been furloughed but are no longer (not NHS and care staff obviously).

Those tabloid headlines and Johnson himself are all about dividing and ruling. Appeal to red wall voters by making them think that the lazy office workers in London are loafing about while making a mint. As the post from Thora I've just seen suggests WFH is not all about that.

ETA - and many, many people will still feel that WFH is safer, and it is, as COVID hasn't gone away although Johnson and co like to think it has.

Good to see the daily reported new cases dropping again, I suppose we can only hope that trend continues.

magneze Because I am more productive working from home and require zero face to face contact with people I work with or provide support to, and yet my employer insists that I get on the London public transport network because the government says it's safe and is good for economy or something.

magneze Because I am more productive working from home and require zero face to face contact with people I work with or provide support to, and yet my employer insists that I get on the London public transport network because the government says it's safe and is good for economy or something.
No. I mean, why do pensioners care that people commute?

Dunno about that. Seems more like they're pandering to business, as per usual. 🤷‍♂️
I take your point, but I can't completely agree with it. I mean look, a tonne of businesses across the UK had already let millions of people to work from home before the pandemic happened because it's cheaper and easier. The pandemic just pushed a whole lot of other companies and organisations over their dinosaur thinking to accept that the Mon-Fri 9-5 slog is an antiquated relic. So from where I am sitting, the government's target audience is the tory pensioners whose thinking is well, I did it, now you, lazy so and so's, have to do it too.

Hopefully, more than a few companies will continue to have WFM as an option, even if within a hybrid model, for a majority of their staff. Especially, given that the pandemic has proved the viability / cost effectiveness of that model and a number have already said that they want their workers to stay WFH if that works for them.

Back
Top Bottom