Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

My great-nieces are still being home-schooled, the elder is probably "on the spectrum" [the diagnosis process is underway] and the younger is allergic to "almost everything".
Coupled with that, the two generations of adults in the household are all classed as medically very vulnerable. The eldest, my SiL, had her jabs the second day that they were being administered [she had had a stroke about nine months before].

I am so glad OH is retired from teaching, in all it's forms [was doing some EOTAS and supply until the gall-bladder episodes & hip replacement operation]. I dreaded the start of the autumn term, as something nasty in the cold/flu/digestive upset line almost always came back home in the first few weeks, and I usually went down with it.
Someone referred to schools as plague pits or germ warfare factories and personally speaking, I agree.

Ive mostly avoided young parents for years anyway, do my fucking head in they do, they perceive the world as only existing to facilitate their needs, it’s completely natural of course but I reserve the right to show that demographic as little concern as they do everyone else

Like everyone else, parents range from lovely to unspeakably awful. And like with everyone else, the awful ones are the ones you're more likely to notice. You don't notice quiet, well-behaved kids on a train; or a car that's not parked on the yellow zig zags; or a woman who accepts the news that the ice cream van has run out calippos with quiet composure instead of an acid-spitting rage tantrum.

As my work involves dealing with parents I have to be very careful about generalising based on one particularly unpleasant encounter. With new parents you also have to ask yourself how reasonable you'd be after six months without any proper sleep.

I go on about Nick Triggle in this thread a lot during the pandemic not just because he has a knack for writing the occasional sentence that winds me up, but also because I use him as a bit of a barometer of establishment thinking and propaganda.

So I am inclined to read something into the content and timing of the following story. Its setting the scene, bringing together some of the reasons why the NHS is under such pressure with concerns about how it can cope. More attention could have been drawn to these things for several months already, but I'm not surprised that early September is when the need has been felt to present this picture on the BBC.

Sometimes it feels like we are on a seasonal merry-go-round with heavy soundproofing and thoughtproofing between the seasons. Playing a tune in summer with deliberately zero regard for whether the story being told is sustainable past that season, and a fairly crude switchover to a different story with different mood and expectations whenever a new seasonal reality dawns.

Last edited:
The extent of influenza this winter is one of the giant unknowns for me, up there with what happens to the covid rates. There are some very good reasons why they fear the potential exists for a bad flu season to occur. I share those concerns, but I suppose I do not exclude the possibility that we might get away without such a clusterfuck.

The extent of influenza this winter is one of the giant unknowns for me, up there with what happens to the covid rates. There are some very good reasons why they fear the potential exists for a bad flu season to occur. I share those concerns, but I suppose I do not exclude the possibility that we might get away without such a clusterfuck.

Although our local GP (& others) have been promoting flu jabs for some months already ... there has been some noise about the lack of lorry drivers having the potential to disrupt supplies.

Which reminds me, I must get mine booked ... I'ld like to have that done & dusted before the potential covid boosters.

I'm mildly concerned as to whether "they" get the virus mix right this year.
I had a jab last year, but was voluntarily sequestered / locked down over the period I would have expected to be at risk. So no idea how good or not last year's jab mix was in actual practice.

Although our local GP (& others) have been promoting flu jabs for some months already ... there has been some noise about the lack of lorry drivers having the potential to disrupt supplies.

It's been in the news, and just a few minutes ago, I got a text from my GP saying supplies are delayed for 1 to 2 weeks, and don't contact them, they'll contact patients when they can book them.

Met two of my mates today who have been pissing me of since the beginning when they were sharing photos of them obviously out with mates during the first lockdown. General attitude of "does anyone actually know anyone with this?" You know, when the rest of us were drowning in stretched services and also isolating to protect others?

No flat out covid denial but that real undertone of "it's not been that bad, I am alright jack" attitude which I had a few bites back at as I just am not in the mood. I'm not being overly cautious now though still masking up etc, but why is it so easy for them to dismiss so many deaths due to the inconvenience it caused to their steady and safe lives? Hard with relationships like that as my energy to maintain is not there.

Sorry bit of a rant there - and I did put them straight anyway but geeze it's hard not to anyalise their whole character based on this.

There are of course many other less visible reasons for missing sleep sometimes lasting years, but I'll desist wandering from the subject now

Wales in the shit btw,
I waited 12 hours in A&E in a waiting room recently with at peak just 8 other people in a large new built Hospital (I don't know wtf was happening to any newly arrived cases after that they must have just sent them back home or left them in an ambulance), great new facility-no fucking Doctors, all through the night they just repeated the cycle of calling you in to a room taking your Vitals and pushing you back out to the waiting room

Latest situation:

If we were in the pre-vaccine pandemic era then I doubt I would hesitate to predict severe house of commons outbreak(s) with consequences for MPs health. Even in the vacine era that might still turn out to be the case, its just I cant be quite so confident about that outcome.

Anyway here is a Guardian live feed post about that, with lots of health professionals condemning the decision to go back to normal in that setting:

1h ago 12:24

Last edited:
If we were in the pre-vaccine pandemic era then I doubt I would hesitate to predict severe house og commons outbreak(s) with consequences for MPs health. Even in the vacine era that might still turn out to be the case, its just I cant be quite so confident about that outcome.

Anyway here is a Guardian live feed post about that, with lots of health professionals condemning the decision to go back to normal in that setting:

1h ago 12:24

It's bonkers.

Still, if a few more of them end-up in hospital, maybe a few of the loony ones will change their attitude to it.

Pal of my dad's (early 70s, double vaxxed) has been in bed with fluey symptoms for five days. Did three lateral flow tests at various points, all negative. He's just got his PCR test result back: positive. Bit concerning that even with two jags he's still feeling so unwell with it and that the lateral flow tests don't appear to have picked it up.

Pal of my dad's (early 70s, double vaxxed) has been in bed with fluey symptoms for five days. Did three lateral flow tests at various points, all negative. He's just got his PCR test result back: positive. Bit concerning that even with two jags he's still feeling so unwell with it and that the lateral flow tests don't appear to have picked it up.
For older people the risks from covid are so high that even in vaccinated older people the risk of serious illness is still significant. That's another thing that hasn't been communicated enough. But also it's a reminder that without the vaccine he would be worse, possibly fatally so.

Interesting lockdown speculation

Plausible and consistent with stuff in SAGE documents I fished out a while back. ie stuff they were on about in July in regards how it would be a good idea to work out what level of hospitalisations cause too much pressure on the NHS, and how some sort of trigger levels should be determined. Unfortunately since last time I checked there werent any published SAGE documents from August, I dont currently know what happened next in that exercise to determine a trigger point. Probably something compatible with that article I would guess.

Hardly anyone wearing masks in Lidl earlier, customers or staff. Kind of felt like a culture shock having been in Portugal until just over a week ago, where most are wearing them outside and everyone is inside. Have people given up trying?

Hardly anyone wearing masks in Lidl earlier, customers or staff. Kind of felt like a culture shock having been in Portugal until just over a week ago, where most are wearing them outside and everyone is inside. Have people given up trying?
Pretty much. It can be quite difficult to not give in to it. Like sitting outside a pub and putting a mask on to go in to a toilet. But everyone in the pub is not wearing them, including those walking around, so you feel like a numpty and also feel like what's the point.

I think it's one of the reasons transmission rates have crept up - behaviour has gradually changed over the course of the summer.

Some never wanted to bother in the first place, some take their cues from others and so it was a very slippery slope once less people bothered, some stopped because they took their cues from shit government advice/the letter of the regulations.

I can understand why staff often resembled the first to abandon such things, but I found this especially unfortunate given the way people take their cues from others and the ways a sense of defeatism and fatalism can so easily set in.

Unless there are incredible successes in the coming weeks, I expect the government to feel the need to start singing a different song about masks again, ie they will start encouraging their use in various settings again.

Back
Top Bottom