Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Blimey, new deaths reported today are 'just' 17. :thumbs:

I know Monday's figures are always low, as they are reporting on Sunday & subject to the weekend lag, but that's still down by 47 compared to last Monday's 64, bringing the 7-day average down to 84.

New cases 5,342, down 4.7% in the last week, despite a record breaking 1,893,830 tests being reported.

Amazing news.

It is 'incoming'.

We are going to 'import it'.

It will 'wash up on our shores'. Like the fucking Normans.

Can you see a pattern here in the language? Nothing to do with us. Bloody Johnny Foreigner.

And yet ironically they will categorically refuse to shut the borders temporarily, because for all the nativist rhetoric they like employing in order to keep the votes of the gullible, they are transnational capitalists at heart who value the profits of the transportation industry over human lives.

My youngest son had his second lockdown birthday yesterday. I'm counting it because schools were already closed here and we were already wearing face masks at work and not letting customers in the shop etc.

My youngest son had his second lockdown birthday yesterday. I'm counting it because schools were already closed here and we were already wearing face masks at work and not letting customers in the shop etc.
My daughter cornered me the other day to point out she'll have missed two birthday parties because of coronavirus and to let me know she's expecting a proper party for her seventh. I now feel guilty that a year ago 'not having to do a party for twenty five-year-olds' was pretty high on our 'lockdown pros' list.

Last edited:
And here we are, still in lock down, & rumblings of a third wave! Fuck sake.
I must be missing something with all this talk of a third wave. Surely there is only a risk of that if we ease up on the current restrictions? So just keep them in place?

I must be missing something with all this talk of a third wave. Surely there is only a risk of that if we ease up on the current restrictions? So just keep them in place?

I'll be surprised if they hold up easing current restrictions, based on the current figures and the way things are going ATM, of course, that could still go tits up.

The one exception looks to be in regards to international travel, with talk of the current ban on overseas holidays being extended from 17th May to at least the end of June, with new £5,000 fines introduced for any chancers. It looks possible much of Europe, maybe all, could end-up on the 'red list' meaning any UK residents returning having to go into hotel quarantine .

A £5,000 fine for anyone in England trying to travel abroad without good reason is due to come into force next week as part of new coronavirus laws.

The penalty is included in legislation that will be voted on by MPs on Thursday.

Foreign holidays are currently not allowed under the "stay at home" rule which ends on Monday.

But then the ban on leaving the UK at this time will become a specific law backed up by the threat of the fine.

My daughter cornered me the other day to point out she'll have missed two birthday parties because of coronavirus and to let me know she's expecting a proper party for her seventh. I now feel guilty that a year ago 'not having to do a party for twenty five-year-olds' was pretty high on our 'lockdown pros' list.
You couldn't have known what the context would be a year on! Never judge yourself with the benefit of hindsight...and next time you're confronted with the prospect of a birthday party for 20 kids, I suspect you will do it with some measure of joy and gratitude. Be kind to yourself.

Looks like we are heading towards compulsory vaccination for care workers.

Care home workers could be legally required to have coronavirus vaccines under proposals being looked at by the Government.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock confirmed that the idea was being looked at but stressed that no final decisions have been made.

A leaked paper submitted to the “Covid O” sub-committee of Cabinet suggested Mr Johnson and Mr Hancock had agreed to the proposal.

Same for me, I'll be having my 2nd lockdown b/day this weekend. I've said it before but last year was my 50th and the only positive was I saved an absolute fortune by not being able to have it.

Last edited:
It doesn't actually say that you can go on holiday to a 2nd home.
I don't see that it's really any more of a loophole than the general allowance for travelling for work purposes.

Back
Top Bottom