Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chancellor's statement live

I heard that when shipping containers travel from Europe to China they are full of chicken feet.

It is a recent scam, as far as I can see. Somehow convincing people to eat the inedible bits of a chicken gristle...while, at the same time, removing the actually useful parts of a chook...at least if you are a gravy lover or stock maker. It boils my piss that the neck, gizzards, liver are routinely removed...while the wings (fit only for catfood) are touted as some sort of delicacy.
Disagree with you about wings, agree with you about the other parts... but it's all cool. (as platinumsage says though it is not a recent thing, it is a geographical thing)

Aren't gizzards just livers? I tried to cook "gizzard and dodo" recently so (briefly) researched and thought they were the same thing.

It is a recent scam, as far as I can see. Somehow convincing people to eat the inedible bits of a chicken gristle...while, at the same time, removing the actually useful parts of a chook...at least if you are a gravy lover or stock maker. It boils my piss that the neck, gizzards, liver are routinely removed...while the wings (fit only for catfood) are touted as some sort of delicacy.
Meat close to bones is tender and darker than bland, dry chicken breast. The skin to meat ratio is also much higher than any other part of the bird. And having to put some effort into getting the meat off the bone makes them a snack to be savoured rather than bland protein to be hoovered down.

Aren't gizzards just livers?
No, the gizzard is the the bottom of the neck and start of the stomach, I think...but I am a bit shaky on chook anatomy. Very popular in my local African shop (along with various other unrecognisable cuts of meat with odd names and glorious colour pics (which delight my grand-daughter) Rood (or reed) and something not unlike pomo.
In fairness, rutabowa, I have never actually eaten a chicken wing from a restaurant or takeaway...I am basing my experience on roasting a chicken...and whipping off the grizzly wings as being just too chewy and inedible and chucking them into a stockpot (course, I do have some dental issues). I guess it depends on exactly where the wings end and the body begins (you know, like when you buy a chicken leg as a butcher's joint, you don't just get the lower drumstick).

Last edited:
I thought the gizzard was the bit of the stomach where some animals keep stones for grinding up their food before letting the digestive juices loose on it. I think you're thinking of wattles.
Yep, you are right. Have never had a wattle included in with the innards though. All-in-all, I miss making decent gravy with these innards and entrails (including the feet).

Whatever, I can't see anyone in my household benefiting much from Sunak's (ahem) stimulus package.

wings and legs are prized over the bland breast meat
Ah, would agree that leg meat is far superior to breast...and am going to claim ignorance of what, exactly, is meant by wings (I assumed that bony bit of 'elbow' was the actual wing...which consists of sinew and cartiledge with no actual muscle (meat). Selling wings on their own, as an actual cut, just did not happen before buying breast fillets became a thing. Back when I literally could not afford a chicken, you could buy a quarter of one...which could include the leg or wing section), which also included a portion of breast.

No, the gizzard is the the bottom of the neck and start of the stomach, I think...but I am a bit shaky on chook anatomy. Very popular in my local African shop (along with various other unrecognisable cuts of meat with odd names and glorious colour pics (which delight my grand-daughter) Rood (or reed) and something not unlike pomo.
In fairness, rutabowa, I have never actually eaten a chicken wing from a restaurant or takeaway...I am basing my experience on roasting a chicken...and whipping off the grizzly wings as being just too chewy and inedible and chucking them into a stockpot (course, I do have some dental issues). I guess it depends on exactly where the wings end and the body begins (you know, like when you buy a chicken leg as a butcher's joint, you don't just get the lower drumstick).
ahh i see... yeh the wings when you roast a chicken aren't very nice. Hot wings from a decent chicken shop aren't chewy at all, they have loads of meat (weirdly) and melt in the mouth, and then the hot salty coating. And barbecued straight from a butchers. They do leave a load of the meat on though so it is almost more like a drumstick.

I give the dog and cats a raw wing every couple of days, usually from the supermarket, they also sell chicken livers. The farm shop has branded frozen pet meats including poultry hearts, necks, wings and chicken feet. I don’t remember when whole chickens no longer had the giblets in a little bag in the cavity - they made the best gravy and the dogs of the time used to get the necks even then.

But we digress from the Budget...

I give the dog and cats a raw wing every couple of days, usually from the supermarket, they also sell chicken livers. The farm shop has branded frozen pet meats including poultry hearts, necks, wings and chicken feet. I don’t remember when whole chickens no longer had the giblets in a little bag in the cavity - they made the best gravy and the dogs of the time used to get the necks even then.

But we digress from the Budget...
Sorry for the clumsy double negative. I remember when whole chickens had the giblets...

Where is my £500 please
Exactly; even if you thought so little of your health that you maxed out on Sunak's deal, you'd only 'save' £130, (there being 13 M/T/Ws in August with max £10 discount per head).

But hold on...no...it's better than that, isn't it?
If you went for the full-on my 600lb hell and went for 3 meals out on each of those days that's £390 'savings'.

chicken feet GRRRROSS

I used to buy Biltong from an African butcher’s shop in Leeds market and expats would be queueing up to buy big bags of chicken feet. Not my idea of dinner tbf but some people must love them (they were one of his biggest sellers) 🙂

Back
Top Bottom