Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chancellor's statement live

I'm a zero earner at the moment and I have windows that I literally can't open because they'll fall off the house if I do (well, only one like that but a few broken seals and siezed locks). What's not clear is whether I can get new double glazing, my rubbish windows are already double glazed.

Well your windows sound very old, newer double glazing would be a lot more energy efficient, so I am sure you will find a supplier happy to replace them, & take the government's money.

I remain baffled by the whole chicken wings thing. These are the bits of a chicken I give to the cat. Unless there is some new revolutionary way of cooking these horrid bits of gristle and sinew, I just can't see why anyone would voluntarily buy a chicken wing.
Not for one second, did I imagine £500 was going to land in my account...but my garden budget saving (£2 coins in a teapot) should still be enough to fund (most of) my new fruit trees and bushes.

My house doesn’t have cavity walls, it has four inches of loft insulation, and 1980s aluminium double glazing. All the window seals have failed so the windows are opaque to varying degrees. The outward-hinged patio door frame is coming away from the wall from the wind slamming it open when it had been left ajar. I suspect that already having double glazing, albeit way past it’s usefulness, will preclude eligibility for this. Watching with interest! Never eat out but about twice a year, if I have a Friday evening off work, I get fish and chips from the van that comes to the village. Lovely young couple and I’d like to support them more.

Some 12 years ago I qualified for a grant towards additional loft insulation, being single, on low income and getting Child Tax Credits. When the contractors arrived they refused to go into the loft as the ceilings are asbestos sheets. I was part way through cancer treatment and too distressed and exhausted to follow it up. I assume they returned it and processed a formal cancellation - I never heard any more. The existing insulation will have to do for as long as I’m here.

Restaurants would be mad not register for scheme, unless with Tastecard where they have to swallow the discount, here they just claim 'free' money from the government, this could be a real bonus to independent restaurants & pubs.
Yeah but saving a tenner to do something I wouldn't typically do (going to a restaurant on a Mon-Wed) isn't going to make me start doing it tbh.

I remain baffled by the whole chicken wings thing. These are the bits of a chicken I give to the cat. Unless there is some new revolutionary way of cooking these horrid bits of gristle and sinew, I just can't see why anyone would voluntarily buy a chicken wing.
It's not a "thing", it's just a pretty cheap food lots of people enjoy... I would never force them on anyone.

Why the hell would they have talked to journalists about the £500 voucher idea before announcing this crap?

If you mean 'they' as in the government, 'they' didn't, that was just a proposal from an independent think-tank, not a government proposal or policy.

It's not a "thing", it's just a pretty cheap food lots of people enjoy..
It is a recent scam, as far as I can see. Somehow convincing people to eat the inedible bits of a chicken gristle...while, at the same time, removing the actually useful parts of a chook...at least if you are a gravy lover or stock maker. It boils my piss that the neck, gizzards, liver are routinely removed...while the wings (fit only for catfood) are touted as some sort of delicacy.

It is a recent scam, as far as I can see. Somehow convincing people to eat the inedible bits of a chicken gristle...while, at the same time, removing the actually useful parts of a chook...at least if you are a gravy lover or stock maker. It boils my piss that the neck, gizzards, liver are routinely removed...while the wings (fit only for catfood) are touted as some sort of delicacy.

In many countries the wings and legs are prized over the bland breast meat and attract a price premium. They certainly are not "fit only for catfood" in the eyes of most people in the world.

Back
Top Bottom