Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Cake

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • What kind of sicko doesn't eat all cake

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
My mother and grandfather were both trained patissiers, although grandad went on to be a baker, and mother a cook. They baked for the Duke of Edinburgh, so were pretty good. We had some amazing cakes and food growing up.

I love marzipan, royal icing, drizzle, butter cream, fondant etc. Sometimes more than the cake. You should have tasted mother's icing made from scratch. So very good. She stopped making her own because the shop bought stuff was so much more convenient.

I am not "getting in a massive state"! I am just bewildered why you don't seem to accept my simple statement that I can't eat cheese. You seem to be obsessing about it, not me.

Let's move on now, particularly since you have decided to start trying to patronise me.

I am not obsessing about anything, the idea that I even give a shit about what you can and can't eat is quite frankly ludicrous.

🤷‍♀️

My mother and grandfather were both trained patissiers, although grandad went on to be a baker, and mother a cook. They baked for the Duke of Edinburgh, so were pretty good. We had some amazing cakes and food growing up.

I love marzipan, royal icing, drizzle, butter cream, fondant etc. Sometimes more than the cake. You should have tasted mother's icing made from scratch. So very good. She stopped making her own because the shop bought stuff was so much more convenient.
I bet fondant icing made from scratch is completely different from the stuff you buy in supermarkets. I am not sure I have ever had it.

I wonder if most of the cakes in the poll will eventually go out of fashion to be replaced by new cakes

My grandma invariably used to serve only these three cakes: lardy cake, battenberg and ginger, which aren't exactly popular nowadays:

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGImage23.jpg

You're welcome round mine for tea and cake any time btw, that is the point at which I care what you can eat - no cheese, let me know about anything else (I am deathly allergic to peanuts myself), I'm sure if we got together we'd have a nice slice of cake and a cuppa and a good old natter and we'd probably get on well and have a nice afternoon :)

I would actively swerve Battenberg, Seed cake, everything with royal icing and marzipan, Black forest gateau, jam doughnuts and fruit cake in any form.

They just take up room on the shelves, where there could be more chocolate everything.

Lardy cake isn’t really cake though is it. It’s a dough base rather than sponge.
We had a bakers at the bottom of my grandparents road that did amazing lardy cake and there was almost always some in the house.
Yet another reason why I’m fat. 😄

On their own, yes. In any other almond-flavoured format, no.

I'm the same. I like almonds, often us almond flour in things, but marzipan (and also almond essense) is a step too far. I can tolerate marzipan on a fruit cake, but that's cos there's the rich fruit cake to balance it - with battenburg you've just got some third rate sponge with not enough jam. I'd say it's style over substance, but only if you think 'style' is something that wouldn't be out of place at a kids party in the 1970s

Lardy cake isn’t really cake though is it. It’s a dough base rather than sponge.
We had a bakers at the bottom of my grandparents road that did amazing lardy cake and there was almost always some in the house.
Yet another reason why I’m fat. 😄
What is lardy cake? I need to know so I can potentially add it to my reasons ✌️

Battenberg, anything with marzipan really.

Not a fan of Christmas/fruit cake either.

Don't eat much cake at all. The odd Jamaican Ginger cake, a Lemon Drizzle, maybe a sponge cake/banana loaf style thing occasionally.

Phwoar. Looks a bit like a cinnamon roll so maybe some wet icing swirled on top would be nice ☺️

It’s better than a cinnamon roll because it’s huge and has lots of lard.

Basically you roll out bread dough then smother it in lard and sugar and raisins, then fold it up and smother it again etc etc. When cooked it goes all gooey. I think field labourers used to have it as an afternoon snack to keep them going until tea.

Back
Top Bottom