Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Cake

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • What kind of sicko doesn't eat all cake

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
No way - a decent baked German style kasekuchen is a thing of beauty and a culinary delight 😋

I’ve noticed that what I’ve described is apparently a “thing” among hipsters except it’s now called “Basque Burnt Cheesecake”. Bollocks to that, it’s German and they can all sod off 🙂

I’ve noticed that what I’ve described is apparently a “thing” among hipsters except it’s now called “Basque Burnt Cheesecake”. Bollocks to that, it’s German and they can all sod off 🙂
The Basque one is much darker than a classic central European cheesecake - it's genuinely a bit burnt. I tried it the other day and it was delicious - another level up.

I don't think I ever ETA Käsekuche, either German or Basque

The Basque one is much darker than a classic central European cheesecake - it's genuinely a bit burnt. I tried it the other day and it was delicious - another level up.

I bought one and it was a pale imitation of what my gran used to cook - and indeed what I still cook.

Recipe please

This is the basic recipe but you can add your own tweaks e.g. use ginger nuts instead of digestives, substitute two tbsp of jam for the sugar and lemon, etc

Ingredients

500g full fat cream cheese (Ideally Quark but any cream cheese will do)
100g sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon (you can use any fruit)
3 eggs (separated)
6-8 digestive biscuits (crushed)
80g butter

Method

1) Grease a springform cake tin and line with baking paper
2) Place crumbs and butter in a pan and heat through until the melted butter has combined with the biscuit.
3) Using the back of a spoon, press the butter/biscuit mix evenly into the base of the cake tin.
4) In a bowl, place the cream cheese, egg yolks, lemon and sugar and mix together.
5) Beat the egg whites until they reach a soft peak consistency.
6) Fold egg whites into the rest of the mixture
7) Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
8) Bake at 120 C (fan oven) for about an hour (do not open the oven until then as it may sink)
9) Check the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer and see if it comes out clean
10) Raise the temperature to about 160 C and check after 10 mins to see if the top of the cake has browned. Repeat until the desired finish has been achieved

Remove from oven, allow to cool, then eat! 😋

Back
Top Bottom