Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bra thread

<snip> I haven't a clue what proper size I am but I'm not big. I have Bs and Cs, some of which kind of fit, but not really.

I'll have to get some sort of bra Thora! Even my doctor told me off for not having a maternity bra yesterday (although she did compliment the colour).
In that case, maybe Debenhams like you said, or John Lewis. IIRC M and S can be a bit random about measuring, as well as the sizes of the bras they sell.

If your budget was no problem, and you'd be likely to stay the same size for some time, Rigby and Peller. Not just for their staff's general attitude and service, but because they carry a wide range of the higher quality brands, even in non-average sizes.

The first thing to do is measure your underbust. If that number (inches) is smaller than the number on the bras you usually buy, you're almost certainly a D cup or higher, if your current bras are Bs and Cs.

Marks and Sparks is completely notorious for poor fitting advice. John Lewis would be my advice, of the department stores.

In that case, maybe Debenhams like you said, or John Lewis. IIRC M and S can be a bit random about measuring, as well as the sizes of the bras they sell.

If your budget was no problem, and you'd be likely to stay the same size for some time, Rigby and Peller. Not just for their staff's general attitude and service, but because they carry a wide range of the higher quality brands, even in non-average sizes.
They don't stock anything much beyond an H. I was v disappointed. The fitter suggested I try a 38 H - I'm a 34jj normally. The support would've been appalling!

I mostly lived in "comfort" bras when pregnant. <snip>
Plenty of comfort bras are sold on line, sometimes strong enough colours to use as outerwear if you feel brave enough, although they're not very supportive.

The first thing to do is measure your underbust. If that number (inches) is smaller than the number on the bras you usually buy, you're almost certainly a D cup or higher, if your current bras are Bs and Cs.

Marks and Sparks is completely notorious for poor fitting advice. John Lewis would be my advice, of the department stores.
Hmm. It says 35 inches (over a tshirt) and I normally pre-pregoness bought 36Bs.

I only get measured as things change so much. I have very small boobs but actually wear a D cup now. John Lewis were great for my last feeding bras. Don't touch M&S, debenhams was crap too tbh. Bravissimo was fab.

You can wear wired bras when pregnant, as long as they are fitted properly and the wires don't touch breast tissue :)

Sadly you almost are certainly wearing the wrong size and it's not uncommon to be that far out either

Get measured somewhere good, if you think you're that size I really would suggest bravissimo. They have been the best fitters I've ever used (e2a on spanglechicks recommendation, I have a very big back and very wide shoulders and they were great. Unfortunately I didn't find anything I could get on with but tbh I think that was hormones and just being in a massive downer about myself at the time)

Last edited:
You can get soft comfort type breastfeeding bras too for the first couple of weeks before you get proper nursing bras.

which are also bloody useful to keep wearing later to sleep in. cause you don't wake up to find they have tried to eat a slice of your armpit and don't wake up with mahoosively sore boobs cause you haven't worn anyhting.

tbh, if you've got large boobs, then wearing them at night, even while not preggers can be a good call. i don't need one all the time, but if i've got any slight tough of period sore boobs, then wearing something at night is non optional

By that method I'm 34F! It that's anywhere near right, I've been wearing the very wrong size forever (they are only a small bit bigger than usual at the moment). That can't be right. I'll have to get a professional to do it tomorrow.

Interesting....I just used that method and my measurements are 35/42 which makes me a 34F, which is also reassuring because that is the size i have recently started buying.

It does say...'Now, if you have always been fitted the “old way” you will probably be in shock right now, as you’ve probably gone down 2-3 back sizes, and up several cup sizes'

Which you have. :)

Interesting....I just used that method and my measurements are 35/42 which makes me a 34F, which is also reassuring because that is the size i have recently started buying.

It does say...'Now, if you have always been fitted the “old way” you will probably be in shock right now, as you’ve probably gone down 2-3 back sizes, and up several cup sizes'

Which you have. :)
I didn't really know there was an "old way" though, I used to buy them by eye. Then I bought some Cs because I knew I was a little bit bigger, and there was still erm, overspill. But there's no accounting for Primark sizing. It's all crazy. I said years ago I was going to stop buying stuff in there, but I'm such a cheapskate.

I didn't really know there was an "old way" though, I used to buy them by eye. Then I bought some Cs because I knew I was a little bit bigger, and there was still erm, overspill. But there's no accounting for Primark sizing. It's all crazy. I said years ago I was going to stop buying stuff in there, but I'm such a cheapskate.
The old way was to add 4 or 5 inches to the band size - so for your measurements your bra size would have been 38C or something.

I went to Bravissimo. They were very good so thanks for the recommendation, Urbs! I have now come away with a 34FF:eek: bra. I feel like I've gotten a boob job.

ETA: They were also not pushy about getting me to buy things at all.

The only problem is looking around the shop it was very obvious that different companies and even styles of bra vary a lot within one size. I'm not going to be able to go away and think 34FF hurray, and buy loads of bras online, because some of the ones in that size in the shop were definitely too big for me. However, the one I got is the best fitting bra I've ever worn and I'm delighted with it!

Last edited:
I went to Bravissimo. They were very good so thanks for the recommendation, Urbs! I have now come away with a 34FF:eek: bra. I feel like I've gotten a boob job.

The only problem is looking around the shop it was very obvious that different companies and even styles of bra vary a lot within one size. I'm not going to be able to go away and think 34FF hurray, and buy loads of bras online, because some of the ones in that size in the shop were definitely too big for me. However, the one I got is the best fitting bra I've ever worn and I'm delighted with it!
if you have a bra in mind, check bravissimo's user reviews (if they have that bra) or otherwise bratabase. i often buy from ebay now, but i check bratabase/bravissimo for guidance on how it comes up.

34FF :D It's amazing, isn't it?

ETA: They were also not pushy about getting me to buy things at all.

Heehhe! Liberated and supported! Hurray! :D

John lewis Oxford Street had a lot of bras for under a tenner today. In a range of sizes. I got a 34f just for the record

:hmm: Now...this may be a pointless comment but WTF? Given that I have met you and in my head we are no where near the same body shape or weight, obviously...I am confused that we fit the same bra size :D Just goes to show!

Rigby and peller are on secret sales today, £26 quid bras, which is a spectacular saving for them.

Sadly I am buying no more till my weight stabilises :(

Personally I have found MnS bras (over all) to be the most comfortable, supportive and giving a good shape for me.
The ones I have got from Bravissimo, although looking pretty, have rarely been that comfortable or given me the shape I want.
There have been exceptions to both though.

Back
Top Bottom