Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A perfume indulgence thread

Oh very much, smell is a very important sense I think ..

freshly cut grass
castrol R oil
perfumes
food and drink
after the rain
wet dog
sea breeze
freeze dried coffee
and there are all those bodily smells / fragrances
the list could go on .. :)

There are bad smells also :(

castrol oil!
Have you smelt Dior’s Fahrenheit? It’s meant to smell of industrial oil but I can’t seem to pick it up (and I been wearing this since the 1989/1990 ). I seem to get the nutmeg, flower notes that settles with old leather but where the hell is the oil?

Oh I don't doubt that at all. 🙂

I don't have bad memories of No5.... My mum used wear it and I love my mum but I really cant stand No5. It's all on me...

It's lovely that scent can being back good memories. Isn't it?

me mum use to wear no5 and Poison.
Not a big fan but appreciate that it’s for a lady from a certain generation...it’s old school ennit.
Think it’s a bit too much now. I consider them quite loud smells, very powdery and intoxicating at times.

castrol oil!
Mixed into the fuel of a particular age of motorcycle and produces a very heady smell when burnt :)
Have you smelt Dior’s Fahrenheit? It’s meant to smell of industrial oil but I can’t seem to pick it up (and I been wearing this since the 1989/1990 ). I seem to get the nutmeg, flower notes that settles with old leather but where the hell is the oil?
Not very experienced with different perfumes I am afraid. Just an interloper on the thread really :)

Mixed into the fuel of a particular age of motorcycle and produces a very heady smell when burnt :)

Not very experienced with different perfumes I am afraid. Just an interloper on the thread really :)

same, I am no expert - just enjoy nice smells but am realising that the more interesting scents require deep pockets.
though I wear scents, I wear it discreetly and only share it with those I am close to.

that burnt oil smell of castrol in vintage bikes - I get that. It’s hard to describe smells but yes, I get what you mean!

coal tar soap from the 80s, fresh dyed leather, with a faint scent of diluted hippie juice, the kiss and sweat from the woman I love - now that’s a smell I wish I could buy in a bottle :)

A perfume is like the final touch in completing something.
A bit like setting the star on the Xmas tree or lining up the hanky in the front pocket of a smart suit.
Using mouthwash after brushing teeth.

There's something scuzzy when a dirty looking, disheveled person puts on expensive perfume.
Its like they're hiding something. Using it as a mask.
That's me then 😛😊

A perfume is like the final touch in completing something.
A bit like setting the star on the Xmas tree or lining up the hanky in the front pocket of a smart suit.
Using mouthwash after brushing teeth.

There's something scuzzy when a dirty looking, disheveled person puts on expensive perfume.
Its like they're hiding something. Using it as a mask.
I couldn’t disagree more.

I like to wear perfume if I’m slobbing around at home, or as a quick mood enhancer after a long day at work. I do also put it on as part of my grooming routine, but it’s too important to be reserved for that.
And some of the best perfumes have scuzzy notes anyway.

1ml for Amouage Reflections - jesus christ!! I am blown away. How is this even possible? I usually dislike flowery/ powdery scents but this is one is perfect! Then there's the cost. I now know I shouldn't had bought the Creed - there's much more interesting stuff out there.

I am still very tempted with that retro-patchouli one - Diptyque Tempo.

I've been revisiting the cheaper perfumes of my youth during lockdown - as no one else is going to be smelling me :D My extravagant Serge Lutens and Frederick Malles are consigned to the back of the shelf and I'm experimenting with Fragonard, Monotheme and Roger & Gallet. I smell like a French Pharmacie. Particularly enjoying Monotheme White Gardenia and Fragonard Daïma.

I now have a 12 bottles of fragrances (and about 6 more samples to go through) and thinking is this too much?

I bought my first bottle of Creed Aventus and though its very nice, it is unfortunately - a scent I smell regularly, particularly in the office or on the way to the office.

My favourite buy is Amouage's Reflections Man - I never expected to enjoy such an opulent and dense scent that surrounds itself with linen suits and flowers.

Diptyque tempo is great, bought this one off Ebay for a good price. Its a feminine, green, earthy - and the dry down is from a another time and world.

I have a couple more incoming - Fahrenheit (Parfum version - its meant to be softer than the original) and Versace Pour Homme - a cheapie fragrance for working out in the gym/ dojo.

Oh, I have a sample of this

375x500.64805.jpg

This is one is so fucking beautiful - not at all masculine (its unisex), the sweetness is just right and there's a bitterness in there, in the depth. This one brings back so many memories....all Asian of course :)

MaisonFrancisKurkdjianOudSatinMoodEauDeParfum_720x.jpg

Bought this for Mrs VB.
It goes well with her collection.
I don't smell no Oud but it goes all Amouage with that middle eastern theme - its very sweet but the rose and the smoke puts a stopper on it becoming over sickening. Its real nice and pretty sexy. Sophisticated. Serious with big smiles on the inside.

Came across an excellent indie perfume company based in Glasgow - Pocket Scents. They do 'inspired' fragrances but their own stuff is out of this world. Sampled their Afghan Aquilaria, Purple Gourmand, Cherry Tobacco and Oud Opulenza. Pleasantly surprised on how good their own creations were and ordered full bottles of the latter two.

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather is not a masculine scent. I don't know why youtube people and reviewers refer to this as 'ultra' masculine. Been wearing this the last two days (in my leathers) and I feel that after the initial hit, it's something my wife would wear. Strange.

IMG-2257.jpg

This one is comforting and emotional that it made me think of people from my childhood...people that have been long expired.
Its symbolic as it ends in dry ash. The scent is Chinese from a certain time that only exists in memory ( I am not sure what Westerners may think of this).

I have no idea why anyone would wear such a scent but I think I will stop.
Its ended my perfume collection at 24 bottles.

Over the past ten years or so, I’ve been very much into grassy/citrussy scents, often from Monotheme and Fragonard (another vote here for the excellent M&S perfume counter!).

I also really, really love vetiver. I did like Jo Malone for a while but they have no staying power on the skin: just very expensive eau de toilette. At one point, I was wearing a ‘men’s’ scent (hate how scents are gendered), in the form of Guerlain’s Vetiver, which was utterly gorgeous.

Currently down to the last few squirts of my second bottle of Miller Harris Lumière Dorée. I want a third bottle: it’s perfect.

There’s a fun perfume shop in Brighton called Eden, where you can tell them what your favourite perfume is and they’ll point you in the direction of something similar from the house perfumes on the walls, which are lined up in bottles with optics.

Love Guerlain Vetiver. I've never thought of it as a man's scent. I know it's marketed that way but I think it works equally well for men and women. Also Habit Rouge - another "man's" scent which I really like.

Haven't ventured into other vetiver scents, I feel like I hit the vein with Guerlain so I'd rather spend money on perfume that satisfies some other need rather than collecting a genre of similar ones. I read the Tom Ford one is good though.

Love Guerlain Vetiver. I've never thought of it as a man's scent. I know it's marketed that way but I think it works equally well for men and women. Also Habit Rouge - another "man's" scent which I really like.

Haven't ventured into other vetiver scents, I feel like I hit the vein with Guerlain so I'd rather spend money on perfume that satisfies some other need rather than collecting a genre of similar ones. I read the Tom Ford one is good though.
I have bought a sample of this (Guerlain Vetiver) as I am intrigued.

please report on the first Guerlain, been seeking a patchouli based sense for a while now...
OOPS. Guess I didn't report back on this one - it opens very Patchouli, but quite 'light' rather than the heavy patchouli oil of yore, then warms up into something a bit more sandalwood-y and then jasmine-y, which is as good a report as you're going to get as I totally lack the vocabulary to describe it :D I was hoping for something more traditionally patchouli-like so probably won't be buying a big bottle. Also - this review is nothing like those on Basenotes etc. which shows what an amateur I am :D

Can all you fragrance lovers tell me how you wear perfume? Daily? One for day, one for night? How many squirts and where?

Whats-App-Image-2021-12-08-at-16-31-27.jpg

Okay I said no more but this Amouage changed everything.
Soapy incence, oud - its spicy but incredibly clean. Not sure how but it fucks up me senses.
My wife doesn't think its sexy and my work colleagues look at me oddly.
I very much like it!!

Back
Top Bottom