Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Marley: One Love 2024

I read a good article about it - will find it again and link.

What I like is it’s set over a 2 year period of his life, around the attempted assassin and his exodus, so not the whole life story.

When we went to the One Love stage show when it was on in London we had trepidation but loved it, so definitely going to give this a chance.

Ouch.

A great story yet to be told then.

A great story yet to be told then.

I've come to realise that artist biopics can't really win. Especially when the makers are protecting a reputation or ensuring the film does nothing to negatively impact the family estate. Given the family have producer credits, i doubt anything that might upset them is going to be part of the story, so any portrayal is already compromised. Biopics can end up being little more than West End Stage shows with a more expensive cast.

I've come to realise that artist biopics can't really win. Especially when the makers are protecting a reputation or ensuring the film does nothing to negatively impact the family estate. Given the family have producer credits, i doubt anything that might upset them is going to be part of the story, so any portrayal is already compromised. Biopics can end up being little more than West End Stage shows with a more expensive cast.
The family being involved is never going to work tbh.

Any decent biopics? Raging Bull definitely but apart from that?

The family being involved is never going to work tbh.

Any decent biopics? Raging Bull definitely but apart from that?

Sports biopics tend to be a bit more warts 'n' all. Music biopics always try to cover up or reduce the impacts of some bad behaviours. They don't want to mess up any royalties. Sports folk who have had their day ain't earners for anyone anymore are they? They can just tell it.

I loved The Birth of the Beatles.

I read a review which listed the (imho significant) historical inaccuracies in it, which just made me think of the horrible Queen / Freddie Mercury movie which I had to turn off halfway as it was just too wrong. Such a shame. A truly historically accurate film of Bob Marley would be fascinating.

Whilst I will watch pretty much any music documentary/biopic there is literally not a single person connected to reggae who I wouldn't much rather watch a film about than Bob Marley.

"Strongback", who lifted speaker boxes for Iration Steppas? Count me in.

Limonious, who did rude artwork for dancehall album covers? Get the popcorn.

All the one hit wonder singers, who got ripped off and then went back to being fishermen? Yes please.

Bob? Not so much.

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it. Probably won't bother again because it just isn't my sort of film especially. Mrs D enjoyed it though.

I read a review which listed the (imho significant) historical inaccuracies in it, which just made me think of the horrible Queen / Freddie Mercury movie which I had to turn off halfway as it was just too wrong. Such a shame. A truly historically accurate film of Bob Marley would be fascinating.
same. reviews put me off and i too have disturbing memories about that queen film too.

i’m not fan of Queen but had a couple of fully grown men were crying in the audience half way though. it was a terrible film too. i see why mass shootings happen often in US cinemas now. good job we can’t get guns easily otherwise i’d be incarcerated and wanting to break free,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom