Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bloody Sunday inquiry - coming soon

Although if some of the stuff that was considered normal behaviour in NI had even been attempted on the mainland all hell would have broken out
(

'normal' like shooting dead the unarmed citizenry? yes that would certainly have caused a stir, wouldn't it?

Still it was only a few more dead Paddies so what's all the fuss about, eh?

Best not to get too excited unless of course the damned awkward Colonials respond by killing a few British people...

I never realised that the legal definition of sniping was "a bit of argy bargy".

Well, you live and learn.

The sniping claim was never proven, and even those who claimed to have heard shots from the city walls mostly claimed to have heard burst fire, something no rifle suitable for sniping is capable of.

even if, and it is one hell of an 'if' (more wishful thinking really), there was 'sniping'... is it not incumbent on the forces of the State to try and engage with the Sniper... rather than shoot dead 14 unarmed civilians?
Of course, but as the "evidence" for sniping was at best dubious, at worst completely fabricated, it'd be hard to engage with a fictitious character, whereas the protesters, who would themselves have been under threat from any sniping, were conveniently nearby, and most of them were, of course, guilty of the crime of being perceived as troublemakers, if not full-blooded Irish nationalist hoolies.
why do ypou never answer the most salient point? Sorry, in future I will make them one at a time
Cobbles, in keeping with his name, talks quite a lot of cobblers, and not very much sense.

At Broadwater Farm, for example, shots were (according to Police) fired, petrol bombs thrown and a PC hacked to death by a machete. And the British State shot how many civilians in response?

None, but then there was a possibility that the denizens of Broadwater Farm might have fought back, whereas a march comprised of peaceniks, religious types and concerned locals were perfect passive targets.

:(no I'm talking about the 50 years of neglect that led up to having to put troops on the streets
Neglect by the British state through their political tools (and I use the word advisedly) at Stormont. The British state allowed the continuing repression of the Catholics by the Protestant majority, with a nod and a wink. The British army reaped what the British state sowed.

19 Apr 2010

"tragic .... mistakes made ... lessons learnt .... time to move on"

Followed by lots of puff in the r/wing press about those poor soldiers having to make split second decisions whilst under pressure putting down upitty paddies.

Someone read the same script :mad:

Telegraph, 12 Jun 2010

David Cameron urged to tell public not to judge Army over Bloody Sunday killings

One senior official said: "The Army is in a lose-lose situation. All we can hope is that the events of Bloody Sunday are seen in the context of the times and not through 21st century eyes.

"It was a bad time in a bad place and it would not happen on British soil today. Today members of the same regiment are fighting for their country in Afghanistan and we need to remember that too."

It was a bad time in a bad place and it would not happen on British soil today. Today members of the same regiment are shooting the natives in Afghanistan and we need to remember that too.

quote corrected.

This was an act carried out in the name of the British State, on streets claimed by Britain, on people who the British state claims as their own citizens. If Norn Iron was (as Maggie Thatcher claimed) as 'British as Finchley' perhaps you can remind me of the last time British soldiers opened up on protestors on Finchley High Road. Or when they sent the Paras in to 'police' football matches.
Well said

Actually troops have ben used in the British mainland many many times including Liverpool during the police strike in 1911 and on occassions soldiers have opened fire, eg featherstone riots

'It was a bad time in a bad place and it would not happen on British soil today. Today members of the same regiment are shooting the natives in Afghanistan and we need to remember that too.'

yes, and the Taliban are killing british soldiers, your point?

'It was a bad time in a bad place and it would not happen on British soil today. Today members of the same regiment are shooting the natives in Afghanistan and we need to remember that too.'

yes, and the Taliban are killing british soldiers, your point?

My point is that the british army is still shooting uppity natives today and thats no different to what they did in Ireland in the 1970s (and too many places to mention throughout the world over the last 400 years) .

And exactly the same language was used then to justify it - "we are fighting a bunch of evil fanatics in order to protect the people".

well, the taliban have just hung a nine year old boy for spying, that is evil in my eyes, but that aside we shouldn't be there

well, the taliban have just hung a nine year old boy for spying, that is evil in my eyes, but that aside we shouldn't be there

Yes and the only people the british troops are killing in Afghanistan are card carrying taliban islamic nutjobs (those evil fanatics again) i suppose?

Blimey, watching it on tv now, killings 'were both unjustified and unjustifiable', but there is no evidence that events were premeditated and there was no cover up. And soldiers were lying all over the shop. Martin McGuinness was there was a sub-machine gun, but did not influence events.

Cameron does do a good apology, albeit it has become slightly more weaselly towards the end.

Did you actually read what happened? I suggest you do before repeating what my be factually incorrect.

I'd say there will be some party in Derry tonight.

I wish my dad had been around to see this, he was batoned by the police reporting on a Civil rights march in Derry in 1969, and followed the story for the rest of his life.

I'd say there will be some party in Derry tonight.

I wish my dad had been around to see this, he was batoned by the police reporting on a Civil rights march in Derry in 1969, and followed the story for the rest of his life.

I saw some of the relatives of the victims on the news this morning - I hope that they can now find some peace, shame it has taken so long for them to be vindicated

I think it's time the British government apologised to Ireland for the colonial/political fuck up (nice place though it is) that is Northern Ireland

Yup you owe us an apology thats for sure, fucking two chances of it ever happening though :(

derry.jpg

Back
Top Bottom