Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Autonomy in the UK

This is an interesting account and reflection by one of the Wise brothers (King Mob / BM Blob etc) on them visiting Italy in 1977 and getting caught up with various events.
The stuff on Italy that went missing after being sent to some anarchists in the Midlands... I'm wondering if that was my group in the Potteries??? :eek: I can't think of any other Midlands groups in that period who would have been interested. Ours would have been. Anyway, I have zero recollection of the incident, but it could have been after I moved "south" to Stafford. I'll have a word with the only other surviving member and see if he knows owt about it.

The stuff on Italy that went missing after being sent to some anarchists in the Midlands... I'm wondering if that was my group in the Potteries??? :eek: I can't think of any other Midlands groups in that period who would have been interested. Ours would have been. Anyway, I have zero recollection of the incident, but it could have been after I moved "south" to Stafford. I'll have a word with the only other surviving member and see if he knows owt about it.
It would be absolutely wild if someone still had this stuff in their loft :D

I've just spoken to him and he has no knowledge of it. The only other surviving member was last spotted as an aging roving hippy with remnants of the convoy, so finding this stuff in that direction seems highly unlikely :(

The only other possibility is that it somehow found its way to the old Wildcat group - though they would have hated to be called "anarchists" :D Anyway, I'll get in touch with a remaining member I'm still in touch with.

This is an interesting account and reflection by one of the Wise brothers (King Mob / BM Blob etc) on them visiting Italy in 1977 and getting caught up with various events.
Interesting, I was there throughout those years, there was so much hope back then, '77 was definitely a high water mark but what happened in March the following year and the subsequent massive crackdown that followed changed Italy for the worse forever.

Fucking CIA and SISDE/SISMI (and their predecessors) state terrorism.

Thanks Serge Forward that's great.

I am in touch with Dave Wise and can ask him about the group but he is not in the best of health and may not remember in any case...
Don't get your hopes too high as it's all a bit tenuous, I just can't think of another Midlands group that would have been interested in it back then. But there's no guarantee it was sent to us in the first place either. Anyway, I've emailed the ex-Wildcat person. I don't think he's online much so a response might take a while.

He just got back to me. He's never seen it either. Maybe it went to one of the student anarchist groups back then, but apart from Keele Anarchists (which was a Careless Talk front), I've no clue. The only non-student anarchists in the Midlands that we had much contact with was in Crewe. I've no idea what happened to them. Alas, the trail has gone cold :(

The anarchs who later turned into the 'Pleasure Tendency' were in Leeds in the early to mid '80s. Not sure the timescale is right to be the group Wise is talking about but they are an example of many local groups at that time who started out as 'anarchists' in some sense but who then moved in different (sometimes very different) directions. Very few of those groups are remembered of course unless they were 'serious' anarchists.

'Serious' (adj) :- a group which becomes involved in some way with one of the 'national' anarcho-politico organizations.

:D

Back
Top Bottom