Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Assassination attempt on Trump, 13th July 2024

i'm curious what exactly you think he 'did to the us,' though? because i live here, and i can 1000% promise you things were better under trump than biden. it sounds like you've been subjected to all the same rhetoric as the shooter in this instance, i'll bet you honestly think that, 'if trump wins he's never leaving office, and he's going to send his political opponents all to camps,' and all of that, no? it also sounds like you're taking too much to heart the words of online far right incels and mistaking them for the prevailing conservative sentiment. what i was pointing out, was that it isn't just the far left loonies who celebrate death, the average leftist just seems to have a ton of hate in their heart, and is willing to cast off their morals for their pettiness at the drop of a hat. i just find that extremely unsettling. and moreover, as i said you cannot define trump by the virulence of his most terminally online supporters, and beyond the occasional crassness i can't actually fathom why some hate him so much. no one can ever really point to anything beyond 'news said he's racist,' 'news said he's fascist,' 'news said he's hitler' etc etc.

in any case i can respect that you're no fan of trump. that's fine. it just disgusts me that people would actually cheer for this, or make light of it out of malice, and then presume to be the good guys.
No one is justified in using violence for political ends when there are democratic alternatives. A principal that equally applies to shootings at political rallies as it does to inciting murderous mobs to attack the Legislature.

Sadly both our countries mistook mendacious buffoons for leaders. Although at least we had a system that was capable of getting rid of ours,

It's going to be interesting how this all plays out. With Biden, Obama, and the majority of the political opposition coming out in condemnation of this shooting, speaking on the phone, national reflection, etc etc, does it go anywhere in bringing some sort of calm, humbling or even bringing together the MAGAs and the Trump haters? Will Trump himself be in any way humbled or will it just bring more anger and division? I'd like to think it might bring about something positive. But I won't get my hopes up. When he got Covid and survived, he came back an even bigger arsehole. So I'm not hopeful.

No one is justified in using violence for political ends when there are democratic alternatives. A principal that equally applies to shootings at political rallies as it does to inciting murderous mobs to attack the Legislature.

Sadly both our countries mistook mendacious buffoons for leaders. Although at least we had a system that was capable of getting rid of ours,
The Brighton bomb was an excellent system. Thanks to brave Irish patriots.

You're welcome.

I wonder if the motivation here was more about doing something big to go down in history rather than actually being politically motivated.
I feels a bit like there’s a small measure of ‘suicide by cop’ involved, I mean he can’t seriously have considered this would be anything other than life-ending.

Reports suggest he was on the right. was trump not right enough for him or something? Really strange one this.

He was a member of a gun club. No surprise. From BBC:

Gunman was a member of a local Pennsylvania gun range

Little information has come out about the alleged suspect, 20-year-old Thomas Crooks.

The latest detail to emerge is that he was a member of a local gun club in Jefferson Hills, Pennsylvania, roughly 50 miles (80km) from where the assassination attempt occurred.

The Clairton Sportsmen's Club's president, Bill Sellitto, told CBS News, the BBC's US partner: "We can confirm that Mr Crooks was a member of the Clairton Sportsmen's Club.

"Beyond that, the club is unable to make any additional commentary in relation to this matter in light of pending law enforcement investigations."

Selitto said the club "fully admonishes the senseless act of violence" and offers its "sincerest condolences" to the victims.

i'm curious what exactly you think he 'did to the us,' though? because i live here, and i can 1000% promise you things were better under trump than biden.

I'm in rural Nebraska. Things were best for me during the Obama administration. Things started going south in the middle of Trump's presidency and I'm now working my way back.

it sounds like you've been subjected to all the same rhetoric as the shooter in this instance,

Yes, I've listened to Trump's words and he's an absolute nutter. I've also listened to people on my friends list who are Trump supporters. They say the most awful things. It's made me a bit jaded to see the real thoughts of people I know.

i'll bet you honestly think that, 'if trump wins he's never leaving office, and he's going to send his political opponents all to camps,' and all of that, no?

I don't know why I would think that other than that time I watched him incite a riot in an effort not to leave office, instead of a peaceful transition of power. Why wouldn't I think he'd do it again, this time armed with presidential immunity and the ability to pardon anyone willing to do his dirty work?

it also sounds like you're taking too much to heart the words of online far right incels and mistaking them for the prevailing conservative sentiment.

The man who said that "some people need killing" is the current North Carolina Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson and official GOP candidate for governor. If you don't want me to think he represents the party, maybe he shouldn't be representing the party in a major election. I can give you a whole list of people higher up in MAGA ranks that literally represent the party that have said similar.

what i was pointing out, was that it isn't just the far left loonies who celebrate death, the average leftist just seems to have a ton of hate in their heart, and is willing to cast off their morals for their pettiness at the drop of a hat. i just find that extremely unsettling. and moreover, as i said you cannot define trump by the virulence of his most terminally online supporters, and beyond the occasional crassness i can't actually fathom why some hate him so much. no one can ever really point to anything beyond 'news said he's racist,' 'news said he's fascist,' 'news said he's hitler' etc etc.

Or course I can define Trump by his supporters. They've chosen him because of who he represents himself to be. All of the people I personally know who support Trump are people I know were bullies in high school and continue to be bullies as adults. They've just focused their bullying on immigrants, women, gays, and the poor, all while trying to claim Christianity as their person property. I've seen a private drag event cancelled because of death threats. I've watched librarian friends threatened, harassed, and accused of "grooming" lose their jobs because of attempts to ban books. I've personally had my tires slashed when I attended an environmental group meeting at a liberal church. You really need to listen to your own side if you want to hear a ton of hate in someone's heart. It no wonder that my gay friends no longer feel safe here.

in any case i can respect that you're no fan of trump. that's fine. it just disgusts me that people would actually cheer for this, or make light of it out of malice, and then presume to be the good guys.

As I said, I used to be a better person. Listening to Trump and Trump supporters spew for several years now has made me a less kind person.

Last edited:

Pls could you define democracy

Back
Top Bottom