Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

Uruknet article on the SNC problems:

Bullets and empty promises push Syrians to the
brink

The situation in Syria is abject. The conflict began to represent regional strifes a long time ago already.

It seems like the best-case is a negotiated settlement paving for political transition.

The rebels have refused to negotiate.

Fingerprints that by the way, that's how I knew that Egypt has probably just had a counter revolution... even though I don't give a crap for the Muslim Brotherhood the whole 'refuse to negotiate' thing has red and white stripes all over it as as a tactic... along with finance disappearing and the cops staying at the cop-shop for two years. Peoples Coup, lol.

The world should hang it's head in shame for abandoning the Syrian people to the brutality of the butcher Assad.

I have doubts as to whether or not TomUS is actually sentient, suspect 'he' might be some sort of bot devised by a delinquent script-kiddy for shits'n-giggles.

Rebels are taking up amnesty 'in increasing numbers' due to disillusionment at the jihadiisation of their struggle for political freedom:

The move is a sign of the growing confidence of the regime, which has established a so-called "ministry of reconciliation" with the task of easing the way for former opponents to return to the government side.

Ali Haider, the minister in charge, said: "Our message is, 'if you really want to defend the Syrian people, put down your weapons and come and defend Syria in the right way, through dialogue'."

Mr Haider, who has a reputation as a moderate within the regime, has established a system in which opposition fighters give up their weapons in exchange for safe passage to government-held areas.

Rebel fighters have privately said that they are aware of the amnesty offer, and that some men had chosen to accept it, although they say that the numbers involved remains a small proportion of those fighting the government.

"I used to fight for revolution, but now I think we have lost what we were fighting for," said Mohammed, a moderate Muslim rebel from the northern town of Raqqa who declined to give his last name. "Now extremists control my town. My family has moved back to government side because our town is too unsafe. Assad is terrible, but the alternative is worse."

Although the US and UK etc will do what they can to prolong and feast upon the sweet sweet bloody innards of the war... I find it encouraging that there is a ministry of reconciliation and a process of working toward peace internally, and political dialogue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...bels-drift-back-to-take-Assad-amnesty.html?lw

Pentagon Lays Out Options for U.S. Military Effort in Syria
NYTimes. July 22, 2013
General Dempsey, the nation’s highest-ranking military officer, provided the unclassified, three-page letter at the request of Mr. Levin, a Democrat, after testifying last week that he believed it was likely that Mr. Assad would be in power a year from now.

On that day, the White House began publicly hedging its bets about Mr. Assad. After saying for nearly two years that Mr. Assad’s days were numbered, the press secretary, Jay Carney, said, “While there are shifts in momentum on the battlefield, Bashar al-Assad, in our view, will never rule all of Syria again.”

Those last four words represent a subtle but significant shift in the White House’s wording: an implicit acknowledgment that after recent gains by the government’s forces against an increasingly chaotic opposition, Mr. Assad now seems likely to cling to power for the foreseeable future, if only over a rump portion of a divided Syria.
A decision to use force “is no less than an act of war,” General Dempsey wrote, warning that “we could inadvertently empower extremists or unleash the very chemical weapons we seek to control.”

Mr. Obama has shown no appetite for broad military engagement in Syria, and, if anything, General Dempsey’s letter underscores the president’s reluctance. Some analysts said they believed the administration’s more circumspect public language about Mr. Assad was meant to lay the groundwork for the long-term reality of a divided Syria.
The USA is talking like they want a political solution? What will they actually do?

A 'Libya type operation' would be more of a complete fucking disaster than the original.
I'd say the original was probably a success. We don't yet know how it will turn out but it's usually good when cult of personality dictatorships go down.

Probably very little. Talk & continue with "humanitarian assistance" to the rebs & refugees & some minor small arms aid. Obama & co don't want to get sucked into Syria. They're wimps. What's needed is a Libya type operation.

Yes, they must show the world the iron strength of their unflinching power, create rivers of blood and deserts of ash so that the many enemies of Pax Americana know to cower and tremble!

Flooding sub-Saharan Africa with small arms and leaving wingnut jihadi types in charge in significant portions of Libya itself must be a new definition of successful. However I'll stick with the original definition and continue to define it a disaster, thanks.
And the original definition is what? Dictators like Gaddafi have to go down. Revolutions are a mess. I'd say it'll take them awhile to sort things out.

Hezbollah rattled as EU unanimously agrees to put group on terrorism blacklist
Independent. Monday 22 July 2013
The 28 members of the European Union on Monday unanimously agreed to label Hezbollah’s “militant wing” a terrorist organisation, making it illegal to send money to the organisation and enabling its assets in Europe to be frozen.

Britain lobbied hard for the move, citing the group’s alleged involvement in last year’s suicide attack on a bus carrying Israeli citizens in Burgas, Bulgaria, that left six people dead and more than 30 injured, while Hezbollah’s military support for Bashar al-Assad’s regime in Syria also played a significant role.
Hezbollah has 12 MPs in the Lebanese parliament – two of whom are members of the caretaker cabinet – and the administration in Beirut said it regretted the decision. Caretaker Foreign minister Adnan Mansour called it “hasty”, while earlier in the day President Michel Suleiman had stressed that Hezbollah was an “essential component of Lebanese society”.

I'd say the original was probably a success. We don't yet know how it will turn out but it's usually good when cult of personality dictatorships go down.

It doesn't surprise me that an American considers the disappearance and deaths of unknown numbers of black Africans (entire towns) in pogroms as a matter of no importance that needn't be considered in the outcome. This is consistent with the pattern of contempt we observe in your culture generally.

Bloody Assad has created huge amounts of these to cling to power. Oh, but he's going to run for election right?

That's the narrative you're choosing because you believe it justifies your position. When an unruly chief does it it's called 'clinging to power', when one of the good ol'boys down at the club does it it's called 'refusing to give in to terrorism'.

Bollocks to all that, who's actually up for sitting down and talking peace is what matters. But of course the rabbles have been instructed by their shady backers not to sit down and talk, except to accept surrender. Signature that... bloody red an white stripes all over it, regime change being worth a million Syrian lives and more as far as the likes of you are concerned, and peace processes be damned.

And the original definition is what? Dictators like Gaddafi have to go down. Revolutions are a mess. I'd say it'll take them awhile to sort things out.

I never suggested that Gaddafi was ok but the only reason we got involved there was and is the oil. No altruism, oh no. Syria is most definitely completely different proposition and fortunately I think even your government is not stupid enough to become militarily involved, at least beyond what it does already.

Good article from Timothy Garton Ash in the Guardian. Many refugees will have left Syria for the long term. It's time for the UK and other western countries to start taking in refugees to ease the burden on Jordan and Lebanon. Germany has offered to take at least 5,000. The UK could be asked to do the same.

As a columnist on international affairs, I get tired of telling governments they "must" do something, knowing perfectly well that nine times out of 10 they won't. This time I have a simpler conclusion. Before we go away on holiday, we should all make a donation to humanitarian relief for Syria. That's what I shall do when I've clicked the "send" button for this column.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/25/all-we-can-donate-syria-relief

Someone tell me about these?
http://pydinfo.com/
PYD are the Syrian wing of the PKK the Kurdistan Workers Party. They're busy fighting Jabhat al-Nusra which probably keeps Assad happy.

Ankara Warns Against Kurdish Autonomy in Syria
Al-Monitor. July 19.
PYD representative Alan Semo told Al-Monitor via Skype, “All Kurds are debating how to form a transitional government in the Kurdish areas. They are preparing to establish a self-governance of the Kurds in Syria, including all political parties and youth groups,” the story said. He added, “Even the KDP and the KRG are supporting this debate and establishment. We are now preparing in Europe for the foundation of this and seek advice from Europe and the UN.” There is, however, nothing to be surprised about in this development. This was in the making for a long time.

Glad to see jihfuckwits getting their butts kicked... I wonder if this is related to the withdrawal of Kurdish forces from Turkey recently... a deceptive redeploy maybe... and if so who got deceived by who? I heard months ago that Assad had decided to give the Kurds defacto autonomy as a way of striking back against the Turkish aggression.

In sum however, the Kurds and their affairs are to me a confusing jumble of incestuous three-letter acronyms that refuse to roll off the tongue... run by stern patriarchs, staunchly secular, as is the Kurdish way, stubborn double-hard bastards. PYD, PKK, PUK, PDK, IKL, KDP...

'Dees is my cousin Ignacio, he's a tough son of a bitch from de mountains'

-Revenge (1990)

Apt, I reckon.

By the way I read somewhere that the Peshmerga are on the march too. Wonder if despite the rhetoric this represents some sort on 'understanding' between the regime and those who are right to be concerned about the wahab/salafist mercs and what they would bring to Syria.

Sorry for my ignorence I only every skim in and out of Kurdish stuff, hasnt Ocalan abandoned Marxism?? does this hold weight in Syria or even across the PKK?

Some interesting things I've seen. Obama has cancelled a meeting with Vladimir Putin, ostensibly over Edward Snowden, but with the ongoing Syrian situation possibly a more serious cause of consternation between Russia and the US. Completely co-incidentally, Russia Today are running a story that 450 Kurds including hundreds of women and children have been slaughtered by Al-Nusrah and the FSA, citing an Iranian TV station as it's source, and it doesn't appear to be getting much coverage elsewhere. Meanwhile the BBC are reporting a story abou the capture of a govt airbase in northern Syria that cites "The pro-opposition Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR)" as it's source. We've seen these sort of stories before about rebels capturing strategic airbases, when in fact they're often a lot less important than they're made out and that it's often a tactical retreat. There's clearly a lot of claim and counter-claim going on in the western and russian media. Speaking of which the new Iranian president Rouhani recently been spotted on the BBC practically begging for the US to enage in proper talks over the nuclear issue, which suggests the foreign policy the US is following is being quite successful, as it's neutralised Syria and brought Iran to heel without the need to go to war themselves.

People hurridly talking about the decline of the American empire ought to look at what's going on here and come to terms with the fact the US is still the power in the world today, and is winning this fight. Even if the US is declining in the long term all that means is they're going to be more willing to use their military hegemony whilst they have it to entrench themselves as much as possible. Empires are often more dangerous and violent when they're on the decline, after they've overextended. In the future the US might not be so powerful that they can oversee this soft "informal" empire without more direct, old fashioned, imperialist use of force. That sort of US omnipotence is going to be on the decline in the long-term so they might have to defend their interests in the old fashioned imperialist way.

I don't know how much you can attribute the Iranian stance to events in Syria. It will have worried them for several reasons, but there are plenty of other reasons why the new Iranian president wants talks. The sanctions haven't crushed Iran but they have still hurt, and both the hopes of the west and some of the people who voted for Rouhani centred around his possible ability to improve relations with the USA & pals, at least compared to the Bush-like diplomacy skills of Ahmadinejad.

Syria has been weakened in some regards but I don't think it can be said to have been neutralised, especially since the regime got the upper hand in some locations and demonstrated their ability to make use of the likes of 'partners' such as Hezbollah.

As for claims of a massacre of Kurds in Tal Abyad, there are not enough sources to investigate that story properly yet, but its no secret that this area has seen much fighting of late. Some background as to whats been happening there in the recent past, including a kurdish politician being killed, claims that the Kurds want to administer the area, exchanges of the dead killed in fighting there, Kurds fleeing due to the looming spectre of full-on war there, can be found in some recent articles beyond the likes of RT and the Fars news agency. Some stories also detail hundreds of Kurds being held hostage there after Kurdish fighters captured an ISIS leader. Apparently this eventually resulted in a prisoner swap.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/worl...-as-syrias-arabs-and-kurds-turn-on-each-other

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130721/jihadists-holding-kurdish-civilians-north-syria

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-07-26/world/40864193_1_rebel-fighters-hasaka

If hundreds of Kurds have been killed then even if the western media ignore it,we should eventually hear from the Kurds about it, rather than just the aforementioned Russian and Iranian state-linked news agencies which have obvious pro-Assad bias.

Back
Top Bottom