Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The next American Civil War

it's a truism that one should prefer to keep quiet and be thought an idiot rather than pipe up and prove yourself one. and here you're proving yourself one beyond any measure of doubt. you don't need a mastermind to start a war, could easily - more easily - be someone like gavrilo princip rather than bin laden. where you need genius is in the mobilising of men, money and materiel. having a central organisation would mean everyone involved with conspiring for such a war would be a) easily identified and b) bloody stupid. if you know anything about the american right i'd have thought it might be david lane's 14 words and louis beam's notion of leaderless resistance. i would expect an american civil war to be irregular war rather than conventional, more like the war between the sunni and shi'a in iraq than the spanish civil war or american civil war, and fought at least as much through propaganda as on the streets and in the fields.
Good points, well made. The thing that makes an armed insurrection impossible is leaking, you could never keep it secret until 'The Day!'.

An interesting Twitter thread. But there are loads of interesting threads all over the place.

I've come to the conclusion that, whatever the prediction, I discount it as not-happening. Almost none of the major events of the recent decades have been predicted correctly.

What is going to happen will come out-of-the-blue.

Which code?

The 49% figure seems reasonable in a “shit has got weird for everyone” kind of way.

Those who move in right wing circles and trade unpleasant language in private, they tend to modify their use of certain terms when under public scrutiny. Or polled/interviewed etc.

Feeling like "a stranger in my own country" is usually (ime) said by those who tend to have very right wing views towards poc and LGBT people.

I'm guessing that the phrase “more and more feel like a stranger in my own country” is code for "not as white as before".

I think they use that expression because it is more politically correct.

Gotcha, but we don’t know how many of those were from the right wing.

Kurt Vonnegut’s last book was called Man Without A Country.

Edit: 38% of those who answered this way self-described as “strong Democrats”.

I felt like we’d slipped into a different universe when Trump got elected, and I’m in the UK ffs!

Last edited:
Those who move in right wing circles and trade unpleasant language in private, they tend to modify their use of certain terms when under public scrutiny. Or polled/interviewed etc.

Feeling like "a stranger in my own country" is usually (ime) said by those who tend to have very right wing views towards poc and LGBT people.

I feel it is more about colour that differences that they can not really see.

Ya walk down the road and you see an increasing number of brown and black where you used to see only white.

Doesn't really matter which option is correct, probably both.
What matters is that they feel they are being replaced with people that didn't used to have to deal with.

I feel sad for them.

I feel it is more about colour that differences that they can not really see.

Ya walk down the road and you see an increasing number of brown and black where you used to see only white.

Doesn't really matter which option is correct, probably both.
What matters is that they feel they are being replaced with people that didn't used to have to deal with.

I feel sad for them.

Human beings dealing with other human beings :(

Fuck it, don't feel sad for any of those peddling the great replacement theory, or trying to play victim because segregation/peonage/slavery is no more.

Gotcha, but we don’t know how many of those were from the right wing.

Kurt Vonnegut’s last book was called Man Without A Country.

Edit: 38% of those who answered this way self-described as “strong Democrats”.

I felt like we’d slipped into a different universe when Trump got elected, and I’m in the UK ffs!

Trump was/is a symptom of generations of mistrust, fear, bigotry, religious fundamentalism etc. Which seemed to coalesce into a movement at the "right" time for all the uber-patriots, conspiracy theorists and other allies on the fringe.

It's been there for a long, long time. Trump and co. just made it mainstream. It's going to be hard to fix.

(obligatory mention to the voters who are not part of the above groupings, and pissed off with the elitism of the Democrats, voted in good faith for the relatable billionaire man of the people. Will they vote for him again, knowing what kind of demagogue he is?)

I'm guessing that the phrase “more and more feel like a stranger in my own country” is code for "not as white as before".

I think they use that expression because it is more politically correct.

Or maybe many give that answer because well established rights are being swept
a away by the Trump Supreme Court.

Maybe your own prejudice leads you to jump to unfounded conclusions.

Definitely, but under current circumstances feeling like a stranger in your own country wouldn't be an unreasonable response to a poll about ones feelings about the US government in many situations

Or maybe many give that answer because well established rights are being swept
a away by the Trump Supreme Court.

Maybe your own prejudice leads you to jump to unfounded conclusions.

Seems a bit harsh.

There is a lot of dislocation going on in a number of fronts. I have heard "more and more feel like a stranger in my own country" used as code for "there's some awfully dark people moving in next door." I know that not of all that is racism. Some is cultural differences, and some is just plain resistance to change. If your world has been one way most of your life, and in your old age sudden changes. It can be difficult to adjust to it.

I live in an "immigrant transition" neighborhood. About every five years we get a new influx of refugees. When I moved in it was Koreans, Vietnamese, and Mexican, with a contingent of students. Then, it was Yazidis and Iraqis, followed by Sudanese and Afghans. Each time a group comes in, they get their footing, eventually transition to better housing, and a new group arrives. If you weren't used to such changes, it could be disconcerting. I've seen those differences lead to small conflicts.

Add to that, the feeling that your governmental system is ignoring your needs and bypassing any attempt you make to change it, and it adds up to a lot of angst.

Last edited:
What about if someone says "I feel a stranger in my own country" and are referring to more intolerance, increase in racism, lack of community cohesion, erosion of women's rights, etc. Mind you, I'd never use the words "in my own country" as, obviously, the workers have no country. But I wouldn't expect most liberal types to get that.

Back
Top Bottom