Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The next American Civil War

Whilst I think Russia is definitely stirring the pot, most of the seeds of it come from within, Stone/Mercer/Bannon/DeVos and other less public wealthy individuals that hide behind opaque donation vehicles. It’s a top-down revolution from very rich religious libertarians keen to bend the state to their benefit and keep the taxman off their grubby cash piles. Something that began with talk radio and the tea party and has built up to a huge well-funded infrastructure, and I don’t see many standing in the way of their tanks.
I think it’s more than the taxman that concerns the likes of the Koch bro and his ilk. I think they are motivated by fear of mass democracy, by the very idea of equality. As any increase in our say or our freedom is necessarily a reduction of their freedom and influence.

Eta not that any extension of our freedom is on the cards anywhere, unless we (WC) make it so.

One factor in the previous civil war is absent in America: an obvious prize for the belligerent parties to fight over. The Confederacy planned to extend slavery into the western territories that a lot of people in the North hoped to open up to settlement by independent farmers. That's how you got "Bleeding Kansas", the chronic violence that erupted over whether that state would be free or slave.

Where's the present-day equivalent? Control of funko pops output? Hegemony over Zuckerburg's "metaverse"? What?

One factor in the previous civil war is absent in America: an obvious prize for the belligerent parties to fight over. The Confederacy planned to extend slavery into the western territories that a lot of people in the North hoped to open up to settlement by independent farmers. That's how you got "Bleeding Kansas", the chronic violence that erupted over whether that state would be free or slave.

Where's the present-day equivalent? Control of funko pops output? Hegemony over Zuckerburg's "metaverse"? What?
Tbh if you were xi jinping or Vladimir Putin now would be a grand time to make America look inward and distract from great power competition with Russia or China. The auld axiom, who benefits, cuts through what I think is really behind this. obviously it helps that the Americans were already becoming polarised - it's very hard to start trends rolling but easy to give them a shove once in motion. To return to the notion of civil war, I think this won't be 1861-5 again, because there's no obvious territorial divide, no moves for actual secession and white supremacists have already gained a foothold in a number of institutions, notably the police. I think that what may happen might be half slow coup, half insurrection

Republicans win the next election there's no need for a civil war they'll just make some adjustments so they'll be there permanently.

Insurrection has led to dereliction of duty
militarytimes. Op-Ed. Jan 7
The United States military presents itself as an institution ready to fight and win America’s wars because it is the best led, best trained and best equipped in history. Polls of the most trusted institutions in America and a host of “thank you for your service” pronouncements indicate that Americans buy into this, though recent polls indicate a slight downturn. A few facts might call this still-high confidence into question.

America has won only one war since World War II — the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War. We tied in Korea, lost in Vietnam, lost in Iraq and lost in Afghanistan, while being embarrassed in Syria, Libya, Beirut and Mogadishu. Moreover, the Defense Department, which received more than $760 billion of taxpayer money this year, is the only government department unable to pass a financial audit. And it is unable to fix several internal problems that are decades-long such as sexual assault and active duty and veteran suicides. But while these are serious problems, they are not as threatening as the emerging and very public issue of mass insubordination and dereliction of duty related to COVID-19 vaccination.

Despite a clear, lawful order to get vaccinated, tens of thousands of active duty (9,500 Marines, 5,360 sailors, 8,000 airmen and guardians, and 9,700 soldiers) and reserve and National Guard service members have refused to be vaccinated, thereby disobeying a lawful order and being insubordinate. Insubordination in the military is the act of disobeying a lawful order of one’s superior and is punishable under Article 91 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Service members have a long history of multiple vaccinations — before basic and initial training, at advanced individual training or its equivalent, Ranger School, flight schools and throughout their careers. They also have a long history of obeying lawful orders. Thus, this unprecedented mass insubordination stands out. Why is it happening?

It may be the result of the politicization of the vaccine and the fact that service members come disproportionately from parts of our nation and socio-religious orientations where resistance to vaccinations is greatest. Illustrating this possibility, the Republican governor of Oklahoma, Kevin Stitt, last month promulgated a policy allowing Oklahoma National Guard members to forgo the vaccine while under state command if they desired, and the governor is suing the federal government to enforce the policy. A reasonable person might wonder how any organization, especially one supposedly steeped in “good order and discipline,” can function with thousands of its members being insubordinate.

When senior uniformed officials in the Pentagon decline to take immediate appropriate action to restore discipline in the military in response to mass insubordination, they are derelict in their duty to the institution, the nation and service members who obey the order. Dereliction of duty refers to the failure through negligence or obstinacy to perform one’s legal or moral duty to a reasonable expectation. Their dereliction is at odds with the military’s long-held claim to being a disciplined force and impairs readiness, thereby jeopardizing national security. It also violates a basic military principle of “taking care of the troops” by exposing vaccinated troops to the unvaccinated.

Although defense and service leaders have said they intend to separate any member — active, Guard or reserve — who refuses to get vaccinated, this process is expected to take at least half a year. It is too long and sends a confusing message. Meanwhile, these refusers endanger themselves and others.

These leaders might rationalize their fecklessness by arguing that discharging large numbers of troops would weaken the military and it would be difficult to replace them in an all-volunteer force. One might counter that the insubordinate are volunteers who knew what their responsibilities were when they enlisted; they are not conscripts.

Through this combination of mass insubordination and dereliction of duty at the highest ranks, the U.S. military has placed itself in a very dangerous position that could well lead to catastrophic failure. For graphic example, what happens when service members refuse to engage an enemy or a governor declines to commit National Guard troops to the federal government when ordered to do so? Senior uniformed officials have planted the seeds of greater insubordination by their dereliction of duty and thus jeopardized national security. Why this is so is a first order question. Congress and the American people deserve an answer — assuming either has the courage to ask it.

Maj. Gen. Dennis Laich (ret.) served 35 years in the Army Reserve. Col. Lawrence Wilkerson (ret.) served 31 years in the Army.

Are We Really Facing a Second Civil War?

Barbara F. Walter, a political scientist at the University of California, San Diego, has interviewed many people who’ve lived through civil wars, and she told me they all say they didn’t see it coming. “They’re all surprised,” she said. “Even when, to somebody who studies it, it’s obvious years beforehand.”
I've not read the book but the interview with her on 538 was appalling.

Her complete lack of awareness of her own politics of breathtaking - rich countries have better governance than poor countries, models tell us there is a 3.5% chance per annum for a civil war, Yugoslavians hated communism, Latinos are generally conservative

There are some reasonable points there but the generalisations, the unspoken assumptions and lack of caution make it looking for nuggets in dross.

Last edited:

Are We Really Facing a Second Civil War?​

Barbara F. Walter, a political scientist at the University of California, San Diego, has interviewed many people who’ve lived through civil wars, and she told me they all say they didn’t see it coming. “They’re all surprised,” she said. “Even when, to somebody who studies it, it’s obvious years beforehand.”

This is worth keeping in mind if your impulse is to dismiss the idea that America could fall into civil war again. Even now, despite my constant horror at this country’s punch-drunk disintegration, I find the idea of a total meltdown hard to wrap my mind around. But to some of those, like Walter, who study civil war, an American crackup has come to seem, if not obvious, then far from unlikely, especially since Jan. 6.

Two books out this month warn that this country is closer to civil war than most Americans understand. In “How Civil Wars Start: And How to Stop Them,” Walter writes, “I’ve seen how civil wars start, and I know the signs that people miss. And I can see those signs emerging here at a surprisingly fast rate.” The Canadian novelist and critic Stephen Marche is more stark in his book, “The Next Civil War: Dispatches From the American Future.” “The United States is coming to an end,” Marche writes. “The question is how.”

In Toronto’s Globe and Mail, Thomas Homer-Dixon, a scholar who studies violent conflict, recently urged the Canadian government to prepare for an American implosion. “By 2025, American democracy could collapse, causing extreme domestic political instability, including widespread civil violence,” he wrote. “By 2030, if not sooner, the country could be governed by a right-wing dictatorship.” As John Harris writes in Politico, “Serious people now invoke ‘Civil War’ not as metaphor but as literal precedent.”

Of course, not all serious people. The Harvard political scientist Josh Kertzer wrote on Twitter that he knows many civil war scholars, and “very few of them think the United States is on the precipice of a civil war.” Yet even some who push back on civil war talk tend to acknowledge what a perilous place America is in. In The Atlantic, Fintan O’Toole, writing about Marche’s book, warns that prophecies of civil war can be self-fulfilling; during the long conflict in Ireland, he says, each side was driven by fear that the other was mobilizing. It’s one thing, he writes, “to acknowledge the real possibility that the U.S. could break apart and could do so violently. It is quite another to frame that possibility as an inevitability.”

I agree with O’Toole that it’s absurd to treat civil war as a foregone conclusion, but that it now seems distinctly possible is still pretty bad. The fact that speculation about civil war has moved from the crankish fringes into the mainstream is itself a sign of civic crisis, an indication of how broken our country is.

The sort of civil war that Walter and Marche worry about wouldn’t involve red and blue armies facing off on some battlefield. If it happens, it will be more of a guerrilla insurgency. As Walter told me, she, like Marche, relies on an academic definition of “major armed conflict” as one that causes at least 1,000 deaths per year. A “minor armed conflict” is one that kills at least 25 people a year. By this definition, as Marche argues, “America is already in a state of civil strife.” According to the Anti-Defamation League, extremists, most of them right-wing, killed 54 people in 2018 and 45 people in 2019. (They killed 17 people in 2020, a figure that was low due to the absence of extremist mass shootings, possibly because of the pandemic.)

Walter argues that civil wars have predictable patterns, and she spends more than half her book laying out how those patterns have played out in other countries. They are most common in what she and other scholars call “anocracies,” countries that are “neither full autocracies nor democracies but something in between.” Warning signs include the rise of intense political polarization based on identity rather than ideology, especially polarization between two factions of roughly equal size, each of which fears being crushed by the other.

Instigators of civil violence, she writes, tend to be previously dominant groups who see their status slipping away. “The ethnic groups that start wars are those claiming that the country ‘is or ought to be theirs,’” she writes. This is one reason, although there are violent actors on the left, neither she nor Marche believe the left will start a civil war. As Marche writes, “Left-wing radicalism matters mostly because it creates the conditions for right-wing radicalization.”

It’s no secret that many on the right are both fantasizing about and planning civil war. Some of those who swarmed the Capitol a year ago wore black sweatshirts emblazoned with “MAGA Civil War.” The Boogaloo Bois, a surreal, violent, meme-obsessed anti-government movement, get their name from a joke about a Civil War sequel. Republicans increasingly throw around the idea of armed conflict. In August, Representative Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina said, “If our election systems continue to be rigged and continue to be stolen, then it’s going to lead to one place and that’s bloodshed,” and suggested he was willing, though reluctant, to take up arms.

Citing the men who plotted to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, Walter writes that modern civil wars “start with vigilantes just like these — armed militants who take violence directly to the people.”

There are parts of Walter’s argument that I’m not quite convinced by. Consider, for example, America’s status as an anocracy. I don’t dispute the political science measures she relies on to show the alarming extent of America’s democratic backsliding. But I think she underplays the difference between countries moving from authoritarianism toward democracy, and those going the other way. You can see why a country like Yugoslavia would explode when the autocratic system holding it together disappeared; new freedoms and democratic competition allow for the emergence of what Walter describes as “ethnic entrepreneurs.”

It’s not clear, however, that the move from democracy toward authoritarianism would be destabilizing in the same way. As Walter acknowledges, “The decline of liberal democracies is a new phenomenon, and none have fallen into all-out civil war — yet.” To me, the threat of America calcifying into a Hungarian-style right-wing autocracy under a Republican president seems more imminent than mass civil violence. Her theory depends on an irredentist right-wing faction rebelling against its loss of power. But increasingly, the right is rigging our sclerotic system so that it can maintain power whether the voters want it to or not.

If outright civil war still isn’t likely, though, it seems to me more likely than a return to the sort of democratic stability many Americans grew up with.

Marche’s book presents five scenarios for how this country could come undone, each extrapolated from current movements and trends. A few of them don’t strike me as wholly plausible. For example, given the history of federal confrontations with the far right at Waco, Ruby Ridge and the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, I suspect an American president determined to break up a sovereign citizen encampment would send the F.B.I., not an Army general relying on counterinsurgency doctrine.

Yet most of Marche’s narratives seem more imaginable than a future in which Jan. 6 turns out to be the peak of right-wing insurrection, and America ends up basically OK. “It’s so easy to pretend it’s all going to work out,” he writes. I don’t find it easy.
Brilliant piece by the aforementioned Stephen Marche in the Guardian today With the end of Roe, the US edges closer and closer to civil war | Stephen Marche

He says the war will be structured as 'stochastic terrorism': attacks like the Buffalo shooting, but more and more frequent. That seems highly plausible to me. In fact it could be argued that the war's already started, but at a very slow pace. If it builds, with attacks by the right every day, it's not hard to imagine the left arming themselves. In his article he says the Left's buying of guns is well under way.

The next Republican presidential candidate seems likely to be a Trump-MAGA enthusiast, probably Trump himself or Ron DeSantis. Right wing politicians are working hard to reduce the black vote. So why not have militias driving around black neighbourhoods shooting them up on polling day? It seems likely to me. KKK and militia members have already joined many local police forces. No doubt more will do so before the 2024 election. This will make it easier for the militias to operate.

If violence spreads, right wing politicians will resist calls to bring out the national guard. The right will have learned from all the screwups made by the Capitol rioters and by Trump. He kept calling for people to be shot by the police, but he was always thwarted Trump Wanted Black Lives Matter Protesters to Be Shot, Says Former Defense Secretary I can imagine that in a couple of years the police will go along with it

In fact it could be argued that the war's already started

it started in april of 1995

McVeigh was arrested within 90 minutes of the explosion,[80] as he was traveling north on Interstate 35 near Perry in Noble County, Oklahoma. Oklahoma State Trooper Charlie Hanger stopped McVeigh for driving his yellow 1977 Mercury Marquis without a license plate, and arrested him for having a concealed weapon

and he wouldn't even be arrested now, after last week's gun ruling.

and to emphasize something that clapson also pointed to:

Meanwhile, their calls for violence, while never direct, create a climate of rage that solidifies into regular physical assaults on their enemies. The technical term for this process is stochastic terrorism; the attack in Buffalo is a textbook example.

i've tried in my posts to tell people who don't live in the states what the texture of daily life has become. the constant drumbeat of threat from rightwing sources and the consequent atmosphere of aggression has made going out the front door in the morning a nervous experience, even for someone like me who isn't a member of a group that's going to be targeted. it was visible already during trump's campaign. i've never felt this before.

Last edited:
That's game over then as there's no resolution to climate change, to keeping rises below 1.5c, with a civil war in America - a civil war which furthers the interests of Russia and particularly China

Yep, a hot civil war in the US would trigger a devastating downward spiral the end result of which doesn't bear thinking about. Some will escape the worst of it, most won't .

it started in april of 1995

McVeigh was arrested within 90 minutes of the explosion,[80] as he was traveling north on Interstate 35 near Perry in Noble County, Oklahoma. Oklahoma State Trooper Charlie Hanger stopped McVeigh for driving his yellow 1977 Mercury Marquis without a license plate, and arrested him for having a concealed weapon

and he wouldn't even be arrested now, after last week's gun ruling.

and to emphasize something that clapson also pointed to:

Meanwhile, their calls for violence, while never direct, create a climate of rage that solidifies into regular physical assaults on their enemies. The technical term for this process is stochastic terrorism; the attack in Buffalo is a textbook example.

i've tried in my posts to tell people who don't live in the states what the texture of daily life has become. the constant drumbeat of threat from rightwing sources and the consequent atmosphere of aggression has made going out the front door in the morning a nervous experience, even for someone like me who isn't a member of a group that's going to be targeted. it was visible already during trump's campaign. i've never felt this before.
It's horrifying. Are you still in NYC?

i've tried in my posts to tell people who don't live in the states what the texture of daily life has become. the constant drumbeat of threat from rightwing sources and the consequent atmosphere of aggression has made going out the front door in the morning a nervous experience, even for someone like me who isn't a member of a group that's going to be targeted.

Can you expand on that bit (or point to other posts of yours) to give some context about this change in the feel of everyday life, especially this atmosphere of aggression you bring up?
Also, not sure whether you been this side of the pond recently, but if you had I’d be interested in whether you sense some seeds of it here.

If there was a civil war in the country who or what will start it?

Where would it start and would it be the end of the u.s.a?

That's game over then as there's no resolution to climate change, to keeping rises below 1.5c, with a civil war in America - a civil war which furthers the interests of Russia and particularly China
I imagine that the primary interest of China is to flog as much of its wares as possible. I can't see an American civil war doing much to further that interest.

I would also imagine that China itself faces potential internal conflicts: lots of pissed off people in Hong Kong, the Xinjiang, Shanghai and elsewhere; more generally a population who are not so worried about where their next meal is coming from and can see the rights enjoyed by those beyond China; the faltering Belt and Road project; and a Head of State, surrounded by lean and hungry potential successors, who has abolished the limit on the number of turns a president can serve.

Surely ripe for one of those revolutions of rising expectations in which the mistakes of 1989 are unlikely to be repeated.

I imagine that the primary interest of China is to flog as much of its wares as possible. I can't see an American civil war doing much to further that interest.

I would also imagine that China itself faces potential internal conflicts: lots of pissed off people in Hong Kong, the Xinjiang, Shanghai and elsewhere; more generally a population who are not so worried about where their next meal is coming from and can see the rights enjoyed by those beyond China; the faltering Belt and Road project; and a Head of State, surrounded by lean and hungry potential successors, who has abolished the limit on the number of turns a president can serve.

Surely ripe for one of those revolutions of rising expectations in which the mistakes of 1989 are unlikely to be repeated.

Agree with the thrust re: their interests but I think your post might be a bit optimistic about China’s economic outlook in the medium term.

What better time to assert in arms China's claims in the South China Sea and to Taiwan than a time when the US is embroiled in an internecine domestic conflict? And how frequently have foreign adventures been the resort of leaders embattled at home?

Well done.

sorry, or are you engaging in that rhetorical trick where you solicit explanation in order to appear to be "engaging", having determined ahead of time to dismiss whatever's said, based on a reasonable reading of your posts these past weeks minimizing rightwing terrorism?

there i gave you a little more credit.

in this case, i've already given the evidence in the very post you queried. and in case you need more "context", even 2 blocks from where i live on the tony UES we had this

hw_proud-boys-assault-protestors-nyc_101818.jpg

another view

4476338_101318-wabc-gop-club-event-img.jpg

great credit to the antifascists who chased them off and and gavin mcinnes quit on account of it.

a few blocks in the other direction

while in DC or a score of other places

proud-boys-0617222.jpg

not to mention portland

and as to the rest of the country.

200618_TNT_Graphics-03.jpg

there was, uh, this

Gendron is reported to have written a manifesto, describing himself as an ethno-nationalist supporting white supremacy and motivated to commit political violence. He voiced support for the far-right "Great Replacement" conspiracy theory in the context of a "white genocide". The attack has been described as an act of domestic terrorism, and the incident is being investigated as motivated by racism.

which has already produced trauma in black children in buffalo, which was quite the point.

and where might we have heard this before?

who has an audience of

throwing in OAN and - this is very important and i grant won't be known to people abroad- countless rightwing radio talkers from coast to coast amplifying the message locally every day.

add associated ubiquitous movements like antimasking and antivaxxing, the recent SC decisions on guns, or deliberate attempts to undermine election all over the country, backed by physical threat

it's everywhere.

hth.

What better time to assert in arms China's claims in the South China Sea and to Taiwan than a time when the US is embroiled in an internecine domestic conflict? And how frequently have foreign adventures been the resort of leaders embattled at home?

With regard to a potential invasion of The Republic of China, I would imagine that Xi, whilst not the most competent will have learnt from the problems faced by Russia in Ukraine. If he hasn't others have. I can't imagine that other members of the politburo of the People's Republic of China and the PLA would consider such an invasion easy. The Russians have failed in their attempt to invade a flat, rather poor neighbour. Taiwan is a much richer, and well-armed mountainous island quite a distance from the Mainland.

If invasion succeeded there would then be the challenge of controlling a restive population of 24 million. They already have enough problems of that sort

Even the rhetoric used by Russia won't work. Whatever the personal views of the population may be, the regime in Taipei still styles itself as the government of China: an alternative to the Beijing Government. It doesn't claim to be an independent state

With regard to a potential invasion of The Republic of China, I would imagine that Xi, whilst not the most competent will have learnt from the problems faced by Russia in Ukraine. If he hasn't others have. I can't imagine that other members of the politburo of the People's Republic of China and the PLA would consider such an invasion easy. The Russians have failed in their attempt to invade a flat, rather poor neighbour. Taiwan is a much richer, and well-armed mountainous island quite a distance from the Mainland.

If invasion succeeded there would then be the challenge of controlling a restive population of 24 million. They already have enough problems of that sort

Even the rhetoric used by Russia won't work. Whatever the personal views of the population may be, the regime in Taipei still styles itself as the government of China: an alternative to the Beijing Government. It doesn't claim to be an independent state
I think you'll find the Russians have succeeded in invading Ukraine, even if they haven't conquered it. If it wasn't for western weaponry and training supplied before the war as well as during I don't suppose Ukraine would have succeeded in halting the Russians as they have. But China first isolating and then invading Taiwan at a time when the usa cannot come to its aid, well that's something different to your scenario. Might cost the Red Chinese dear but i don't suppose the Taiwanese would succeed against the Red Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom