Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge earthquake in Turkey and Northern Syria 05-06/02/23

Very sad footage on the news about Turkey. Rescuers are working so hard to find survivors. But so many people have lost their lives.

Sadly no support on the ground from external international aid. War and visas being cited as reasons. They really need international help now...time is of the essence. Eta. I mean Syria ..

Last edited:
Very sad footage on the news about Turkey. Rescuers are working so hard to find survivors. But so many people have lost their lives.

Sadly no support on the ground from external international aid. War and visas being cited as reasons. They really need international help now...time is of the essence.

Do you mean Syria?

International aid is getting into Turkey, but very very sadly not into Syria for obvious reasons. And there's no international media there either to broadcast this.

Do you mean Syria?

International aid is getting into Turkey, but very very sadly not into Syria for obvious reasons. And there's no international media there either to broadcast this.
Yes...the second paragraph was about Syria. Sorry I thought I had put that in the post but obvs didnt.

For anyone local to Bethnal Green/Victoria Park/Roman Road.

329594172_1552949155212166_5251631248549176311_n.jpg
went earlier on to drop some stuff - was amazed how much there already was. Piles and piles of stuff. Guy I was chatting to said he was exhausted. He had done nothing but boxing stuff all day.

went earlier on to drop some stuff - was amazed how much there already was. Piles and piles of stuff. Guy I was chatting to said he was exhausted. He had done nothing but boxing stuff all day.

Blimey, we're on our way in a bit, hopefully they can take it.

I know everyone means well but donating cash will be more efficient. There is no shortage of clothing in Turkey and there are already huge efforts going on to transport blankets/clothes/babies stuff/generators internally. Weather is affecting flights, I saw that at least one airport is closed as the runway is cracked, plus some major roads are closed too. Turkey produces their own clothes and there really is no need to send from the UK.

I know everyone means well but donating cash will be more efficient. There is no shortage of clothing in Turkey and there are already huge efforts going on to transport blankets/clothes/babies stuff/generators internally. Weather is affecting flights, I saw that at least one airport is closed as the runway is cracked, plus some major roads are closed too. Turkey produces their own clothes and there really is no need to send from the UK.
This, Turkey makes a ton of clothes and footwear, it’s better to send cash, they have plenty.

Unsurprisingly it looks like building standards were an issue.

“Looking at some of the pictures of the damaged buildings, it is evident that most of them were not designed to withstand very strong earthquakes. It is clear that many apartment blocks have experience so-called pancake collapse. This happens when the walls and floors are not tied together well enough, and each floor collapses vertically down on the one below leaving a pile of concrete slabs with hardly any gaps between. This means that chances of survival for anyone inside are very small. There should be seismic codes in place to stop this, but they are not well enough enforced. It is not unusual to see one block standing with little damage, and the one next to it – due to dodgy construction or use of poor materials – completely flattened.”

A few updates from me. It just gets worse and worse, really. So many people trapped and the thought of them there, possibly injured, and cold, is awful. No news about my missing colleague, but I've seen a video of the building.

People are rallying to help in whatever way they can. Many people are driving to the affected regions to give practical help.

Three month state of emergency called.

Just got back, pile was 6 foot high and twenty foot wide, loads of stuff but they were happy to get more, the owner looked absolutely fucking knackered.

Apparently it goes to a central location and is sorted but they were doing some initial sorting with stuff arriving. I hope it is of some use, I can't imagine they would be doing it if it wasn't, I know cash is better but I haven't got any so hopefully my thermal socks and warm coats that don't fit me anymore will be keeping some distressed soul warm by the end of the week. It's all I can do.

Sharing more links for easy donation from the UK:

Just got back, pile was 6 foot high and twenty foot wide, loads of stuff but they were happy to get more, the owner looked absolutely fucking knackered.

Apparently it goes to a central location and is sorted but they were doing some initial sorting with stuff arriving. I hope it is of some use, I can't imagine they would be doing it if it wasn't, I know cash is better but I haven't got any so hopefully my thermal socks and warm coats that don't fit me anymore will be keeping some distressed soul warm by the end of the week. It's all I can do.

There's been people from various charities on the morning news shows all morning, even the WHO, asking people not to donate clothing etc. It probably won't get to them, however well-intentioned the donors are. They need money to get more people out there.

Absolutely give money not clothes or anything like that.

There's been loads of stuff written over the years about how things like clothes etc. are a waste at best and a distraction that takes loads of resources to manage and sort, and then often get there and are useless or sold by shops etc. Yes, people ask for them, but as a knee-jerk reaction to want to help rather than as the best thing to do.

Absolutely give money not clothes or anything like that.

There's been loads of stuff written over the years about how things like clothes etc. are a waste at best and a distraction that takes loads of resources to manage and sort, and then often get there and are useless or sold by shops etc. Yes, people ask for them, but as a knee-jerk reaction to want to help rather than as the best thing to do.
People's desire to clear their wardrobes of unwanted Xmas gifts and surplus gear def not a factor

Well at the very least, these charities will be giving all this warm winter clothing to people in the UK. I can't see them flying or driving much of it over to Turkey though.

I can't watch any more of the news. It's too much. That baby who was somehow born under the rubble and was saved, still connected by umbilical cord to her dead mum was it. But donating to both white helmets and red crescent.

Got the sad news that our friend, an English teacher, died along with her mother. The effects of this will last for generations. I can't imagine how neighbourhoods like hers will go on and return to anything resembling normality with so many lives lost and whole areas destroyed.

I'm so sorry for your loss miss direct . My Facebook feed is full of friends who have lost mulitiple family members and it is heartbreaking.

On Twitter, Charles Lister has confirmed that no aid has reached rebel-held areas of Syria so far, so I urge people to donate directly to organisations already on the ground, lie The White Helmets or Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS).

So sorry to hear that miss direct the scale of the tragedy and loss is so hard to get my head around but individual stories of people who have died is so heartbreaking.

I've made a donation to MSF & the white helmets. I imagine a DEC appeal is on its way.

Back
Top Bottom