Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan Earthquake (Jan 2024) and plane collision

Japan are not have a good 2024 because there is now reports of 4 people being stabbed at metro station?

Sky news reported it a few minutes ago trying to find more info

I'm still not clear - did the fireball happen while passengers were still on-board? It's incredible anyone survived.
Yes, the initial fireball happened when the A350 hit the smaller plane. At a guess, the initial explosion originated from the Dash-8 and the A350 was instantly coated in buring fuel from the smaller plane- you can see on the footage that the fireball remains stationary after the A350 has continued to travel down the runway, carrying a visibly smaller amount of flames.

Crucially the only thing burning at the time on that A350 would have likely been the skin of the plane that had been doused in fuel, and possibly one of the engines, judging by the videos of it. If the A350's own remaining fuel had exploded on impact, or caught fire before the plane had come to a stop and the evacuation completed, the outcome for the passangers would have been drastically different.

A350's are long planes so it's really quite incredible the passengers all got out so quickly. Sounds like the Japanese trait of obedience and order likely helped. I would imagine that if it was a plane full of Americans or Brits, you'd have plenty of people thinking first of their hand luggage and possessions inside, and the other hundreds of passengers a very distant second.

A350's are long planes so it's really quite incredible the passengers all got out so quickly. Sounds like the Japanese trait of obedience and order likely helped. I would imagine that if it was a plane full of Americans or Brits, you'd have plenty of people thinking first of their hand luggage and possessions inside, and the other hundreds of passengers a very distant second.
I can’t remember which crash it was, but I am sure I remember about an incident within the last five years or so where several people didn’t make it out of the plane in time and died, and IIRC the investigation cited passengers ignoring instructions from the flight crew and insisting on retrieving their cabin bags before evacuating as a contributing factor :mad:

Little bit uneasy with stereotypes like this.

The JAL airline will have had probably 6-8 very well trained air stewards (based on my experiences on domestic flights) doing their best to sort this shit out along with the pilot and co-pilot.

Little bit uneasy with stereotypes like this.

The JAL airline will have had probably 6-8 very well trained air stewards (based on my experiences on domestic flights) doing their best to sort this shit out along with the pilot and co-pilot.
Whereas ‘trait of obedience and order’ doesn’t read particularly well, I have read similar sentiments in a thread on this incident on an aviation forum but better worded, basically saying that the Japanese tend to behave more selflessly and are more prepared to obey commands from those in a position of authority in general and including emergency situations, than the citizens of many other countries who’d be. If it’s a stereotype, I myself would like to see it as a positive and commendable trait to attach to a peoples, which is not such a bad thing even if not true.

ETA: I have no first hand experience of Japan but most of us have seen Japanese football fans at World Cups all staying behind to pick up every last bit of litter around them. So there might be a lot of truth about their general demeanour and behaviour.

Ah, didn’t know that. Can’t blame people for panicking, mind.

Do they look panicked? What they've done is become so complacent about flying they've stopped paying attention to the safety briefing and so forgot something that could have been the difference between life and death for them. Putting your mask on before helping others is important too. As is not inflating life-jackets until outside the aircraft, though in the Ethiopian Airlines case many of those who died where first time fliers.

Do they look panicked? What they've done is become so complacent about flying they've stopped paying attention to the safety briefing and so forgot something that could have been the difference between life and death for them. Putting your mask on before helping others is important too. As is not inflating life-jackets until outside the aircraft, though in the Ethiopian Airlines case many of those who died where first time fliers.
It wouldn’t stick in my mind at all, even if I did pay attention (which rarely happens). I imagine I’m not alone in this.

Also Americans and British are much fatter than Japanese, which wouldn't help.

I know it's not directly compatible but as far as I'm aware the evacuation from the twin towers in 9/11 was fairly orderly :confused:. Though I guess there people would also have been regulated by being surrounded by work colleagues.

I also have a vague memory that in the Bradford fire disaster, while there was lots of altruistic behviour, others were crushed while trying to escape.. though happy to be corrected on this.

I know it's not directly compatible but as far as I'm aware the evacuation from the twin towers in 9/11 was fairly orderly :confused:. Though I guess there people would also have been regulated by being surrounded by work colleagues.

I also have a vague memory that in the Bradford fire disaster, while there was lots of altruistic behviour, others were crushed while trying to escape.. though happy to be corrected on this.
FWIW I also remember when reading about the incident I mentioned above that it was a flight containing many non-EU passengers including immigrants/ non-residents, many of whom might have had their vital immigration documents, ID cards, and even cash or any anything of true value to them in the cabin bag. And I can understand someone deciding they must disregard instructions to leave their bag behind if they genuinely think they might be kicked out of the country or have any pending residency status rejected if they lose such papers.

However I have little doubt there will also be countless arseholes who just don’t want to leave their laptop behind because of the bother and think nothing of putting those around them at an increased risk of death.

Apparently negative pressure can force the air out of your nose which can cause unconsciousness, same as when you can hold your breath in a swimming pool for 2-3 mins, but at 36,000' you will become unconscious in around 10-15 seconds.

Apparently negative pressure can force the air out of your nose which can cause unconsciousness, same as when you can hold your breath in a swimming pool for 2-3 mins, but at 36,000' you will become unconscious in around 10-15 seconds.
I learned recently (I think on these boards) that pilots have the option to depressurise an airplane at altitude. Which would explain how someone was able to fly MH370 off course for eight hours without opposition from anyone else, or at least someone sending any text messages asking for help.

Yeah they think thats what happened to the plane that went missing, lost pressure and just instant black out

Those masks look way too small to fit over both nose and mouth, so I’d also be inclined to put it to just my mouth

Those masks look way too small to fit over both nose and mouth, so I’d also be inclined to put it to just my mouth
Whereas I admit in that picture they seem to look small, the airline industry is arguably the most heavily regulated and H&S restricted of any in the world, and there is absolutely no way an inadequate oxygen mask would ever be allowed on any airline, not even in the most backward country that is served by international commercial flights.

It is possible that internal flights in certain countries served by domestic airlines not subject to international regulations can get away with certain breaches. But even then that would require an aircraft manufacturer that had chosen to equip their planes with inadequate masks, for all of the 150 odd quid it would have saved them. Just not feasible.

Back
Top Bottom