Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan Earthquake (Jan 2024) and plane collision

One interesting fact about masks is that they are designed to provide no more than around seven minutes of air, which is the expected time a depressurised plane at cruising altitude would need to descend to the level where the surrounding air becomes sufficiently breathable.

A pilot could prove me wrong but oxygen masks are not meant to be used by passengers once a plane has landed even if there is smoke on board. Getting the fuck out within 90 seconds of touching down is the only concern so putting a mask on as you sit on the runway might do more harm than good to the overall evacuation times, I would imagine. However I believe flight crew have portable breathing apparatus at their disposal.

Now saying it took 18 minutes to evacuate the whole plane, which does sound more realistic through 3 doors. Coast Guard captain reckons he was given permission to take off. JAL captain had to be told his plane was on fire by the cabin crew.

Now saying it took 18 minutes to evacuate the whole plane, which does sound more realistic through 3 doors. Coast Guard captain reckons he was given permission to take off. JAL captain had to be told his plane was on fire by the cabin crew.
Apparently the evacuation itself didn’t take unduly long- about 2-3 minutes if the chatter on aviation forums is correct. But for reasons yet to be revealed, the evacuation didn’t commence for nearly 15 minutes after the plane had come to a full stop. By all accounts, it took a very long time for the flames licking parts of the fuselage to take proper hold and become all-engulfing. Otherwise I’m sure they wouldn’t have lost a second to commence the evacuation.

Big (felt big) quake just now. Always seem to get a strong one around Feb/March.
Hope you're okay.

There's a thread:

Hope you're okay.

There's a thread:

That's the one! Sorry, couldn't find it at the time. All good.

Back
Top Bottom