Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

A precision strike on a hospital by a weapon that's supposed to be totally inaccurate and just goes wherever it wants . Actually 2 of them. What are the odds ?
Buried in this is the recognition that it happened - it just wasn't supposed to. Like the attack on the market on Saturday. Or the bread factory. And so on.

Tough shit on civs. CSGB

Well the fact that they are

Which means that

ensures that it's quite easy to build a lot of these devices, and fling them out of helicopters like it's going out of fashion - something which dramatically shortens the odds of them hitting something like, e.g. a hospital.

No the article states quite clearly the attack was a double tap . And the hospital was the intended secondary target . How this can be achieved, twice, by a weapon that apparently can't be targeted at anything and lands in a completely random location strikes me as a bit odd. Actually a bit more than a bit .
A lot .

No the article states quite clearly the attack was a double tap . And the hospital was the intended secondary target . How this can be achieved, twice, by a weapon that apparently can't be targeted at anything and lands in a completely random location strikes me as a bit odd. Actually a bit more than a bit .
A lot .
In the video of assad regime barrel bombings that i linked to above they now push out two of them.

Anyway, hospitals were actual targets of assad barrel bombs ages ago. Now they're secondary targets of putin's proper missiles.

Is that a relegation or promotion?

wtf just been reading about assad's strike on a hospital. as far as i know, even israel didn't do something like that - ie they bombed it again after the paramedics arrived! this is totally fucked up. how can people still be saying that what assad does is right? especially on the left. ffs

wtf just been reading about assad's strike on a hospital. as far as i know, even israel didn't do something like that - ie they bombed it again after the paramedics arrived! this is totally fucked up. how can people still be saying that what assad does is right? especially on the left. ffs
it is right. clearly it is right and not left.

it is right. clearly it is right and not left.

so why are people on the left saying that what he does is justified? there's obviously a debate as to whether there should be a "call" for him to "step down straight away" and im not convinced that him going, on its own, will end the conflict tbh cos what might happen is there could be a total collapse of the syrian state, another guy stepping in from the regime just like him, or a western puppet strongman installed. but there's a difference between that and arguing that he is right to do what he does, that he's the only person capalbe of defeating ISIS etc (when he played a big role in bringing them about) and it seems to me that's what a lot of people are doing. it's obviously that he's not the only person in Syria capable of defeating them and that him being there and bombing everything to bits with impunity is making the job of people who could defeat them such as the SDF, the Kurds etc more difficult.

so why are people on the left saying that what he does is justified? there's obviously a debate as to whether there should be a "call" for him to "step down straight away" and im not convinced that him going, on its own, will end the conflict tbh cos what might happen is there could be a total collapse of the syrian state, another guy stepping in from the regime just like him, or a western puppet strongman installed. but there's a difference between that and arguing that he is right to do what he does, that he's the only person capalbe of defeating ISIS etc (when he played a big role in bringing them about) and it seems to me that's what a lot of people are doing. it's obviously that he's not the only person capable of defeating them and that him being there and bombing everything to bits with impunity is making the job of people who could defeat them such as the SDF, the Kurds etc more difficult.
because they're wankers.

im not convinced that him going ON ITS OWN will solve anything (i don't know how the fuck anyone can come back from this) and it's quite obvious that he won't go unless forced, but ffs how can anyone be defending this guys actions still? Its fucked.

because they're wankers.
Also (because I turned up here without a clue, having read that one book by Cockburn- and have learnt some things here) maybe it is just overwhelming temptation to 'pick a side', pick between what you are told is the lesser of two evils, because learning about the actual humans who are stuck between the two, and getting to hear something about them, what they want, let alone see their faces, requires a bit of an effort.

Last edited:
Also (because I turned up here without a clue, having read that one book by Cockburn- and have learnt some things here) maybe it is just overwhelming temptation to 'pick a side', pick between what you are told is the lesser of two evils, because learning about the actual humans who are stuck between the two, and getting to hear something about them let alone see their faces, requires a bit of an effort.
if you see chelsea playing rangers do you give a fuck who wins? of course not, they're both wankers.

there are loads of jihadists in the UK, imagine if cameron decided to drop a barrell on say Dewsbury. How could anyone be arguing that Assad's methods of conflict management are justified and correct. It's mental.
I think there are mebbes 2 people on here who defend Assasd and only one who does it wholeheartedly.

Seen that Russia has been bombing syria with white phosphorous. FFS

I've seen those reports, supposedly emanating from an " anonymous activist" , by the name of Ahmed . With some footage . It doesnt show any Russians , nor indeed any planes or choppers .
The Syrians use a grad rocket system which fires incendiary cluster munitions they also use a Russian manufactured weapon known as the ZAB 2.5.
You can see a video of it being dropped on jihadist positions here at the very bottom of the page . In Deir Ez Zor. And I suspect it was something like that being used . White phosphorous gives off a lot more smoke and burns a lot more brightly.

Update: Cluster Munitions in Syria (ZAB-2.5 incendiary submunitions)

It's also quite notable in the ..unverified..video accusing the Russians of nefariousness..that within the targeted area there's a series of secondary explosions , which look very much to be exploding munitions on the ground ..at which point Ahmed the activists video abruptly stops . I doubt very much it stopped because his battery suddenly went dead. So it seems it was dropped on Ahmeds mates who had a fuck load of exploding stuff in their immediate vicinity . Which seems fair enough to me .

White phosphorous munitions aren't at all illegal by the way . Most countries possess them. But I suppose if you combine the term Russian and White phosphorous, along with an anonymous activist then it makes a sexy headline that can be used to whip up the requisite amount of disgust among the gullible.

there are loads of jihadists in the UK, imagine if cameron decided to drop a barrell on say Dewsbury. How could anyone be arguing that Assad's methods of conflict management are justified and correct. It's mental.

Are these uk based jihadists currently being armed by NATO and Gulf states and overrunning towns and cities across the home counties ? Siphoning off the North sea oil reserves ? Blowing up Stonehenge ? No, they aren't. Which is why Cameron shouldn't drop anything on dewsbury except for his own head .

I think there are mebbes 2 people on here who defend Assasd and only one who does it wholeheartedly.

When Britain last faced an existential threat ,on D Day it completely flattened any French town or village in Normandy that housed German units . Without warning . That's we're the nazis were, in those towns . Syrian forces are in a much more precarious state than Britain was in 1944 , with the US at its side and the nazis virtually a spent force .
If Britain was overrun by an enemy force in the same way Syria has been, and with the real danger of genocide should they fall, itd be doing exactly the same thing except with bigger bombs . Its forces wouldn't hesitate for a second . And anyone suggesting otherwise is either a liar or a complete wanker. No matter how left of the spectrum they might be .

Of course there is. The first step to understanding this in this country is to demolish the lies of fisk and his ilk. Yesterday fisk claimed that he would be surprised if there were even 70 'moderates' in the whole of Syria - this is footage from a joint SDF/YPG funeral (killed fighting jihadis in north-west Aleppo) yesterday.

What did you see watching this?

First step, resist the racist imposition of fisk/CR/Cockburn/assad/Isis/etc that muslim and anti-assad = jihadi.

Barrel bomb them. Jihadis.

When Britain last faced an existential threat ,on D Day it completely flattened any French town or village in Normandy that housed German units . Without warning . That's we're the nazis were, in those towns . Syrian forces are in a much more precarious state than Britain was in 1944 , with the US at its side and the nazis virtually a spent force .
If Britain was overrun by an enemy force in the same way Syria has been, and with the real danger of genocide should they fall, itd be doing exactly the same thing except with bigger bombs . Its forces wouldn't hesitate for a second . And anyone suggesting otherwise is either a liar or a complete wanker. No matter how left of the spectrum they might be .

It's unfortunate for your attempt at defending Assad that, as many have pointed out to you over and over again, Assad himself is as responsible for genocidal slaughter as anyone else in Syria.

"He's defending against the risk of genocide by committing genocide himself" doesn't convince anyone except those already deluded enough to be cheerleaders for any old strongman (Putin, Assad, any others you mention) simply on the basis that they're in some vague way anti-West and therefore can be excused as supposedly anti-imperialist.

Utter nonsense and utterly disgusting...

no mention of the fact that the regime has killed a great deal more civilians than anyone else, oh no.

Oh right yeah, according to that bloke in his "observatory" in a semi in coventry , who admits himself he classifies all sorts of armed combatants as civilians and who's been regularly caught out bullshitting. From his semi in Coventry . Doesn't stop him being used by all and sundry as a primary source though .

Questioning the Syrian “Casualty List”

Back
Top Bottom