Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Salmond accused (and then cleared) of sexual misconduct.

Nicola sits on her hands and seems to ignore the base,
I don't really get this. What do you think the SNP should do? Go down the Catalan route? That has hardly been a great success, and would frighten a lot of the moderates that the Independence movement needs to win over. I'm no great fan of the legal challenge approach but unless the SNP is going to become a very different party I simply don't see that they have a lot of alternatives.
The SNP polling for May has shown a big dip over the last month or so - is that related to this nonsense, or is there other stuff going on?
Bit of a reversion to the mean too?

You don't disagree, though to put it bluntly, you don't seem to care.
i've had involvement in enough political organisations to know that they contain some ruthless utter fuckers, often at high level. you know this too. If you have voted in any election, you have voted for them. Dont you care?

i've had involvement in enough political organisations to know that they contain some ruthless utter fuckers, often at high level. you know this too. If you have voted in any election, you have voted for them. Dont you care?
I've mainly been doing anarcho-non voting for the last 20 years, but have at times voted Labour (pre and post Blair). But this isn't about voting this is about a party launched on day 1 around a groper. I'd keep my distance personally.

Edit: 'groper' is not a great term to use perhaps. Lets stick with 'sex pest'.

You don't disagree, though to put it bluntly, you don't seem to care.
my reasons to support (with a vote, not money, not canvassing, not membership) Alba are clearly stated above. They are separate from what i think of some of the members of Alba as individuals.

These things should be easy enough to follow?

Just as an example, when comrade delta committed an act of rape, i didn't automatically assume all SWP comrades were rapists.

This argument is persuasive

I'm slow - is the argument there needs to be a second independence party to mop up second voting preferences? That makes some sense if so, though it sounds like there are already other indie parties (i hadnt heard of them tbh). Are you obliged to vote for a second preference? I thought not.

Whatever: Alex Salmond needs to muster a shred of decency and go home and sit down.

I've mainly been doing anarcho-non voting for the last 20 years, but have at times voted Labour (pre and post Blair). But this isn't about voting this is about a party launched on day 1 around a groper. I'd keep my distance personally.

Edit: 'groper' is not a great term to use perhaps. Lets stick with 'sex pest'.
You seem to be saying this is an issue of timing then? So in a years time it might be ok to offer electoral support? Or never? This election is 6 weeks away. Alba are standing whether anyone likes it or not, and every Scottish voter is forced to assume an attitude towards it. That is what i have done. Am i therefore a misogynist groper? The idea is ridiculous.

The timing of origin is a poor argument on which to oppose a Party.

I'm slow - is the argument there needs to be a second independence party to mop up second voting preferences? That makes some sense if so, though it sounds like there are already other indie parties (i hadnt heard of them tbh). Are you obliged to vote for a second preference? I thought not.

Whatever: Alex Salmond needs to muster a shred of decency and go home and sit down.
It’s not second preference. There are two votes, one by FPTP for the constituency MSP and one by dHondt for the list MSPs in the electoral region.

incredible that you'd bring this up in support of your stance that supporting parties led by handsy creeps is actually fine.
Not at all. my suggestion is that it is irrational to judge an entire organisation on the basis of one members appalling activities, even if that member had some seniority of 'rank'.

Not at all. my suggestion is that it is irrational to judge an entire organisation on the basis of one members appalling activities, even if that member had some seniority of 'rank'.
no-one thought the entire SWP were rapists, we thought they were rape apologists. Were you a member?

It only exists because of his activities. That’s it. It’s not incidental. It’s the Sleepy Cuddles Party.

redcogs why do intend to vote for the sex pest party rather than the Greens? Surely the Greens would satisfy your aims every bit as well as the AP, with the added advantage of being (1) not sex pest scum and (2) probably more likely to win seats.
Its a question of potential vote size, not ideology. Whether people like it or not, Salmond still has considerable sway in Scotland, way more than the Greens, who have tempte me in the past. Many Salmond supporters, some of whom will be decent human beings, accept the verdicts offered by the courts, and are prepared to ignore the stench. These are simple truths which are not going to be influenced much in the next 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom