Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

David Starkey "Salmond like Hitler".

a referendum on Austrian independence.

An annoying voice.

Love of amphetamine sulphate.

Latent homosexuality.

Feargal Starkey might actually be on to something here.

Getting my loon david historians confused here. This one isn't David Irvine so what does this one do?

My favourite Starkey ignorance was when he started talking about "whites have become blacks" and saying white kids had adopted Jamaican slang, totally misunderstanding the evolution of both language and the culture of the city he lives in. If you can't understand what's going on around you everyday, fat chance of you being a particularly good historian.

Shouting his way to victory in debates on Question Time. Clueless about politics, clueless about society and a boring wind-up merchant.

057c8bae9f69c6f7cb890de4be54c9ea.jpg
1812cfe89536e99150f0a44c982863cf.jpg

Uncanny.

My favourite Starkey ignorance was when he started talking about "whites have become blacks" and saying white kids had adopted Jamaican slang, totally misunderstanding the evolution of both language and the culture of the city he lives in. If you can't understand what's going on around you everyday, fat chance of you being a particularly good historian.

Shouting his way to victory in debates on Question Time. Clueless about politics, clueless about society and a boring wind-up merchant.
That was straight up racism dressed up in academic-sounding language. Him and Gove, they both showed some pretty old school reactionary eye-popping in the wake of that glorious uprising.

I know it must have been done to death on here at the time but it's so spectacularly wide of the mark that it's worth repeating.

"The whites have become black. A particular sort of violent destructive, nihilistic gangster culture has become the fashion and black and white boys and girls operate in this language together.

"This language which is wholly false, which is this Jamaican patois that has been introduced in England and that is why so many of us have this sense of literally of a foreign country."

The idea that Multicultural London English is just Jamaican Patios is astoundingly ignorant.

How can you live in London and think that?
Well, because you're in an academic and media bubble and don't mix with normal Londoners is the probable answer.

Gangster culture has become the fashion! It reads like copy from The fucking Beano and again, it's just plain wrong as any working (and even most middle class) Londoner knows. It takes guts to be that cocksure about your intelligence and be that thick though, so respect to him there.

Gangster culture has become the fashion! It reads like copy from The fucking Beano and again, it's just plain wrong as any working (and even most middle class) Londoner knows. It takes guts to be that cocksure about your intelligence and be that thick though, so respect to him there.

You clearly know as little about the Beano as Starkey knows about the lives of young Londoners.

I don't care, I like Starkey, always good value on Question time, definitely not a polite politician, speaks his mind even when barking and is one of those people who can make the identikit politicos very very nervous. :)

I don't care, I like Starkey, always good value on Question time, definitely not a polite politician, speaks his mind even when barking and is one of those people who can make the identikit politicos very very nervous. :)

Doesn't it annoy you how he just shouts all over everyone else and constantly interrupts? He's a baby who doesn't adhere to the basic rules of debate.

Doesn't it annoy you how he just shouts all over everyone else and constantly interrupts? He's a baby who doesn't adhere to the basic rules of debate.
Nope, doesn't annoy me, because usually the people he is "interrupting over" are oxygen thieves of the highest order .. I get that he annoys some but honestly I find anyone who does not stick to a party line on QT refreshing.

Nope, doesn't annoy me, because usually the people he is "interrupting over" are oxygen thieves of the highest order .. I get that he annoys some but honestly I find anyone who does not stick to a party line on QT refreshing.

Okay, but it's refreshingly clueless racism.

Okay, but it's refreshingly clueless racism.
I don't like racism, I argue that if it exists is a tiny part of his output, I can't say I have noticed it myself, what I find myself thinking when he spouts off about some current affair is that statement which goes something like: those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it ..

Back
Top Bottom