Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Salmond accused (and then cleared) of sexual misconduct.

I doubt he is actually surprised, more likely just trying to imply that he has been found guilty in order to interfere with his ability to testify in that case. The conspiratorial thinking comes naturally to him at this point.

Found it.

“unlawfully publishing details about the identities of female witnesses in Alex Salmond’s criminal trial.” What a cunt.

He's got form for this.

It’s worth remembering that the Salmond verdict did huge damage to the Moorov Doctrine, in Scots Law, which is a principle of corroboration in situations where there are only two witnesses: the accused and the accuser.

It’s worth remembering that the Salmond verdict did huge damage to the Moorov Doctrine, in Scots Law, which is a principle of corroboration in situations where there are only two witnesses: the accused and the accuser.

How to you think the Moorov doctrine is damaged?

The principle of corroboration itself is certainly exposed as a major difficulty in he said/she said cases. But that is very difficult to change given majority verdicts.

How to you think the Moorov doctrine is damaged?

The principle of corroboration itself is certainly exposed as a major difficulty in he said/she said cases. But that is very difficult to change given majority verdicts.
In that women will be much less willing to come forward. So the corroboration of having similar complaints close together will be harder to achieve.

In that women will be much less willing to come forward. So the corroboration of having similar complaints close together will be harder to achieve.
Oh, I see. But that is no different from similar fact evidence in English law. The essential difference in Scotland is the necessity of corroboration as a guard against wrongful conviction.

But most common law jurisdictions have some form of "similar fact" evidence that allows some flexibility in circumstantial evidence.
I’m not able to comment on comparative law. I merely mentioned that Moorov was a Scots Law precedent because I know most readers on Urban are not in Scotland.

I’m not able to comment on comparative law. I merely mentioned that Moorov was a Scots Law precedent because I know most readers on Urban are not in Scotland.
What do you make if the difficulty with corroboration in Scottish law for rape and other he said/she said cases. That is specific to Scots law and makes such cases more difficult to probe than in cases heard in systems based on English Common Law where no corroboration is required, just proof beyond reasonable doubt.

What do you make if the difficulty with corroboration in Scottish law for rape and other he said/she said cases. That is specific to Scots law and makes such cases more difficult to probe than in cases heard in systems based on English Common Law where no corroboration is required, just proof beyond reasonable doubt.
It’s a difficult balance to strike, between the word of the accused and the word of the accuser. I’m not sure the law gets it right.

In the Salmond case, Salmond’s fan base are convince the accusers were lying. They see his behaviour (about which he was cleared of criminality) as unproblematic. This is, for them, black and white. He was cleared therefore they are the ones in the wrong, fabricating their stories.

The not guilty verdicts mean no such thing. And both the damage done to the women involved and the knock on effect that has on future cases are huge issues we need to ensure we don’t sweep under the carpet.

It’s a difficult balance to strike, between the word of the accused and the word of the accuser. I’m not sure the law gets it right.

In the Salmond case, Salmond’s fan base are convince the accusers were lying. They see his behaviour (about which he was cleared of criminality) as unproblematic. This is, for them, black and white. He was cleared therefore they are the ones in the wrong, fabricating their stories.

The not guilty verdicts mean no such thing. And both the damage done to the women involved and the knock on effect that has on future cases are huge issues we need to ensure we don’t sweep under the carpet.
The problem in Scotland is that the combination of rules of evidence and majority verdicts is delicately balanced in order to maintain the presumption of innocence. It is difficult to see a fair balance if corroboration is retained. I suppose corroboration could be dropped if a qualified majority, say 12/3 was implemented in such he said/she said cases.

The problem in Scotland is that the combination of rules of evidence and majority verdicts is delicately balanced in order to maintain the presumption of innocence. It is difficult to see a fair balance if corroboration is retained. I suppose corroboration could be dropped if a qualified majority, say 12/3 was implemented in such he said/she said cases.
Cards on the table: I think any boss who did even what Salmond admitted to deserves to be convicted. So, yes, I think the balance is wrong.

Cards on the table: I think any boss who did even what Salmond admitted to deserves to be convicted. So, yes, I think the balance is wrong.
Do you not support presumption of innocence? Allowing convictions on a mere majority verdict when there is no independent evidence is not maintaining that presumption.

What do you think was possible criminal behaviour?
Jurors see the evidence directly and see all the evidence that is put in front of them. As a general rule, you have to respect the verdicts that juries come up with. But juries see the evidence in a particular psychological and legal setting. As observers, as members of the public, yes certainly, we only see the reported evidence and not all of it. But then you can't abandon your judgement, your awareness of power and your understanding of how these cases play out. You can't stop yourself asking the question: should that cunt be in prison?

Jurors see the evidence directly and see all the evidence that is put in front of them. As a general rule, you have to respect the verdicts that juries come up with. But juries see the evidence in a particular psychological and legal setting. As observers, as members of the public, yes certainly, we only see the reported evidence and not all of it. But then you can't abandon your judgement, your awareness of power and your understanding of how these cases play out. You can't stop yourself asking the question: should that cunt be in prison?
Are you aware that conviction only requires a simple majority, 8/7. That is balanced against a higher bar for evidence- corroboration by two separate strands of evidence.

Back
Top Bottom