Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Salmond accused (and then cleared) of sexual misconduct.

Salmond standing in the North East danny. Apparently he has stood ten times previously in the same area, and won nine. The coming vote will certainly be fascinating. He is certain to make much of those jury acquittals on the stump.
He may make the list in the NE. I wouldn’t place a bet either way. But I think they’re dreaming if they think they’ll get very far anywhere else.

Salmond standing in the North East danny. Apparently he has stood ten times previously in the same area, and won nine. The coming vote will certainly be fascinating. He is certain to make much of those jury acquittals on the stump.

He is indeed the sort of shit that claims not to care about most losses, since they are an opportunity to be sure to let everyone know how many times he's won.

“Nothing really bothers me in politics,” he says. “Even losing my Westminster seat in this last election. I would have loved to have won but I have won nine times. You take the rough with the smooth. Apart from not winning the referendum – that bothered me a lot.”

From an old 2017 piece Alex Salmond: My regret over 'daft' early resignation as SNP leader | The Big Issue

Its an interestingly worded piece in places. The danger signs are there.

A reason not provided by the SNP or the two existing list only nationalist parties, AFI and ISP?

sorry but all 3 of them are central belt based and centric. I know loads of folk that simply will not vote SNP, people who haven't been voting need someone to vote for, so it won't even split the vote

I hope everyone learns how to pronounce Alba properly, for the short period this party exists. It’s going to be a home for angry wee misogynists, but they can at learn learn how to say it right.

In the context of this party, after consultation with Berlusconi I thought it might be pronounced bunga bunga.

OK, that sounds counter-intuitive because I thought the general idea of a list system was to accurately reflect the proportional support for each party.
Yes, it has a logic to it, though. It's supposed to provide a roughly proportional division of seats across the entire parliament while keeping constituency links for at least some of the members. The list is there to 'correct' the imbalances caused by fptp, essentially.

The Scottish system is a bit of an odd one in that you can vote entirely differently for the list seats from the constituency ones if you like, so it is correct that there can be tactical voting in the lists if your party is likely to be strong in the constituencies.

But any who stayed were rape apologists at best.
There is no doubt that some were rape apologists (in the sense that you intend it). They wouldn't see it that way though - they more likely regard themselves as defenders of the leninist tradition of democratic centralism. The best people did leave that Party, rightly in my judgement. But its a bit of a cynical stretch, even for me, to think that the remainers are all hunting 'round for their next victim.

Ah, that might explain it geminisnake. apparently K MacasKill is a friend, going back years, of Salmond. He also resides in morayshire, next to Aberdeenshire (where Salmond stays). not that geographical proximity guarantees a Party defection.

Again, you're inventing criticisms which no one has actually made.

You're starting to sound almost as paranoid as Salmond himself...
Rubbish. ive invented nowt. my point remains a valid counter to the widespread notion on here that Alba ought not to be touched with a bargepole because Salmonds involved. Come the poll the possibility that tens of thousands of voters will disregard Urban's appropriate sensitivities is a very real one.

sorry but all 3 of them are central belt based and centric. I know loads of folk that simply will not vote SNP, people who haven't been voting need someone to vote for, so it won't even split the vote
Oh yeah, I’m not here to support the SNP and definitely not the AFI or ISP. My criticism of Salmond is all down to him and his behaviour. My assessment of the AP is just that I think he’s hugely overplaying his hand. He’ll get loads of press of course. But he’s vastly overestimating his personal vote.

There is no doubt that some were rape apologists (in the sense that you intend it). They wouldn't see it that way though - they more likely regard themselves as defenders of the leninist tradition of democratic centralism. The best people did leave that Party, rightly in my judgement. But its a bit of a cynical stretch, even for me, to think that the remainers are all hunting 'round for their next victim.
Oh, the democratic centralism is something I opposed long before the Comrade Delta thing. I’m not suggesting those left are all active rapists. I’m suggesting that they thought the women should shut the fuck up and allow a rapist to go unchallenged. Which is appalling.

Oh, the democratic centralism is something I opposed long before the Comrade Delta thing. I’m not suggesting those left are all active rapists. I’m suggesting that they thought the women should shut the fuck up and allow a rapist to go unchallenged. Which is appalling.

Inconvenient threats to power must be hushed up, neutralised, diminished. Lives sacrificed for a 'higher cause' that inevitably ends up a 'lower cause' as a result of the grubby priorities. Someone has taken a shit in the prize cup, we must polish its exterior to compensate.

"Privately, when questioned about the wisdom of the timing of his move, Salmond acknowledged that he was hoping people wouldnt have to hold their nose to vote for him, and that he could instead rely on their support via a mass Covid-inspired loss of taste and smell."

Inconvenient threats to power must be hushed up, neutralised, diminished. Lives sacrificed for a 'higher cause' that inevitably ends up a 'lower cause' as a result of the grubby priorities. Someone has taken a shit in the prize cup, we must polish its exterior to compensate.

"Privately, when questioned about the wisdom of the timing of his move, Salmond acknowledged that he was hoping people wouldnt have to hold their nose to vote for him, and that he could instead rely on their support via a mass Covid-inspired loss of taste and smell."
Ha ha, is that yours? It’s inspired.

So how should we pronounce it?

It's not how you pronounce the 'al-', it's that it's three syllables. There's a helpful video here.

as i've said before, i'm from south of the thames not just south of the border...

but on channel 4 this evening, alec salmond regularly said (what sounded like) "albar allibar" which makes me even more confused

is one 'scottish english' and the other gaelic?

as i've said before, i'm from south of the thames not just south of the border...

but on channel 4 this evening, alec salmond regularly said (what sounded like) "albar allibar" which makes me even more confused

is one 'scottish english' and the other gaelic?
One is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom