Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave them kids alone!:mad:

The youth are the only ones making sense right now. My generation are apparently just waiting to die whilst exercising whatever futile power they have over the shininess of their ideological halo and their pursuit of Oxbridge twats. Apart from Seumas Milne. The BBC background makes for a more acceptable face of faux-leftism. Or something. :hmm:

Leave them kids alone!:mad:

The youth are the only ones making sense right now. My generation are apparently just waiting to die whilst exercising whatever futile power they have over the shininess of their ideological halo and their pursuit of Oxbridge twats. Apart from Seumas Milne. The BBC background makes for a more acceptable face of faux-leftism. Or something. :hmm:

Wish I was as optimistic about my generation as you seem to be.

I know the joke. It was the context and, more importantly, the non-apologetic nature of the stream of overly defensive apology posts. You are free to judge him sincere. I am calling bullshit. :)

I don't spend that much time here these days so only really been posting and reading this thread recently. I've been reading a few other threads tonight though and i'm struck by both the number and wide range of posters who have felt the need to tell you that you are either out of order in your approach or increasingly incoherent and not making any sense in your posts

So for your own benefit, i'm not going to continue this exchange with you. I don't know nor want to know the cause of your increasingly strange behaviour here, but I suggest you take some time away from the computer because you aren't doing yourself any favours by getting whipped up into a frenzy about things that you think are happening but aren't on here.

I think the video below is a neat distillation of the spirit of this debate. Taking a dialectical approach (using what some might call the process of aufhebung) to the matters at hand.

Note to youngsters (frogwoman, muscovyduck, Delroy Booth, lauriepenny et al):

Beavis and Butthead were, many ways, the direct precursors of today's so called commentariat. Using their self-declared status as the "voice of a generation" to gain a media platform which they then exploited in the development of a personal brand.

Babes in Toyland were a popular beat combo during the Golden Age of Music, when there were proper tunes that you could dance to and that, not like today's rubbish which is just noise......

The evidence is in your attempt to undermine Firky by insinuating that he was a paedo and, deliberately or carelessly, demean a 17 year old woman by implying that her primary purpose, now that it is known that she is a young woman, is to receive unwanted sexual attention from men.

Thanks for that. And all the other ways you have made it clear over the last few pages that your gloriously righteous theory is precisely skin deep. You don't give a shit and you don't even see why you should.

Like I said, you're part of the problem. You've actually managed to pick and then repeatedly defend the wrong line the week fucking Laurie Penny gets it near spot on and whilst the SWP is still imploding due to its own lack of sincerity on the 'women are part of the class too' line.

Fucking disgraceful.

More disingenuous, pseudo-mind-reading distortionary bollocks.

Self-appointed thread crusader and police-person in projecting her own paranoia on to others shock?

Moron is a temporary state of affairs...

"Moron" was coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard[3] from the Ancient Greek word μωρός (moros), which meant "dull"[4] (as opposed to oxy, which meant "sharp" (see also: oxymoron)), and used to describe a person with a mental age in adulthood of between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale.[5] It was once applied to people with an IQ of 51–70, being superior in one degree to "imbecile" (IQ of 26–50) and superior in two degrees to "idiot" (IQ of 0–25). The word moron, along with others including, "idiotic", "imbecilic", "stupid", and "feeble-minded", was formerly considered a valid descriptor in the psychological community, but it is now deprecated in use by psychologists​
Self-righteous language police in inability to understand language yet again shock?

I think I'll put you back on "ignore" now...

When did wanting to punch someone over the internet become misogynistic?

context is the key.This thread there has been a constant barrage of abuse (misogynistic or otherwise) and a whole heap of bullying directed almost exclusively at laurie penny (with a few obvious detours) - from the absurd "she is just shit" to the frankly creepy-stalker stuff. Within that context is perfectly okay for a man to want to punch a woman in the face. As long as the subject has been suitably belittled, humiliated, demeaned, de-humanised beforehand it makes perfect sense. I don't know if it's misogynistic or not but expressing delight in wanting to punch a women in the face is just fucked up in my book. No-one batting an eyelid when it happens is equally fucked up.

Reactions: ymu
You could get a free trip..... http://www.birthrightisrael.com/VisitingIsrael/Pages/Eligibility.aspx

You can do it on the cheap.

i know, but i don't fancy being arrested and interrogated and thrown in a cell and having that permanently on my record, it wouldn't be good, and most people who go out there go out there for a few months, and i can't afford to go to somewhere for that length of time and not be working.

i'd like to go though but just for a short visit

i know, but i don't fancy being arrested and interrogated and thrown in a cell and having that permanently on my record, it wouldn't be good, and most people who go out there go out there for a few months, and i can't afford to go to somewhere for that length of time and not be working.

i'd like to go though but just for a short visit
It has no effect on your record. I would much rather be banged up abroad with the consulate keeping an eye out and both them and the other prisoners cheering us on and handling all the paperwork, than get a criminal record and proper prison here.

It's easy doing time when you know you can get out by signing a bit of paper. Or even if you just know when it will be over and can imagine the time without panicking. The very worst period for us was the last night, after we were granted bail but whilst the prison were fucking us over and making it difficult to access credit cards to post it and taking forever to process us out.

And I did spy shit! Tucked my memory card in the back of my fag packet when the soldiers nabbed us so it wouldn't get wiped. Fags are the only thing you can take into prison. A visitor who shall remain nameless is offered a fag. "I don't smoke. " <pushes packet towards unnamed person> "You do now." It got to US indymedia before we met the governor. :D

That's my Danish buddy. Fresh out of national service. Handy guy, as was uncle Brooklyn who charmed every US-Israeli soldier into submission. :D

Having the whole of Israeli civil society supporting you and Palestinians advising you is very cushty. We were offered a deal by a desperate prosecutor and an unimpressed judge but we said no, Palestinians don't get to choose an easy way out and we want Israel to admit it is deporting us under martial law. We got time to reconsider, every Palestinian we spoke to, over many hours of tea and Arak, said 'fuck 'em' so we said; fuck you. And made them not convict us of anything. Deported under our own reconaissance. :hmm:

Sitting in prison is easy. Everyone else does the hard work whilst you read shit magazines and cause trouble for the guards.

Do it. I've said Black Laundry for years. Would suit you down to the ground. Anarcho-queer-anti-occupation. Think they're still going. Anarchists Against the Wall. Loads of Palestinian-led, Israeli-led, foreign-led NGO stuff.

And you should do the birthright thing. Both sides matter. See both sides as they want you to see it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom