Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading a great deal of this thread it seems quite clear to me what's going on here. I'm not going to ask you to check your privilege on this one, you had much rather check your ressentiment. I know it's a classical far-right argument, but it seems to be such a precise analysis of this discussion that it would be cheap to dismiss it outright.

After reading a great deal of this thread it seems quite clear to me what's going on here. I'm not going to ask you to check your privilege on this one, you had much rather check your ressentiment. I know it's a classical far-right argument, but it seems to be such a precise analysis of this discussion that it would be cheap to dismiss it outright.

I don't think anyone's disputing that this thread is driven by envy and resentment

It couldn't really get much more obvious could it?

The salient question is whether that envy and resentment are justified.

'Politics of envy'...an inferred/direct statement/arguement used to undermine and ridicule another for calling out self-serving and exploitative behaviour... I could add that to a wiki if you like. I shan't bother though.

Maggie? Is that you?

If the whole point of this nitpicking is using some random person as a prugelknabe for your own feelings of inadequacy, it seems somewhat unfair towards the random person. And ressentiment is obviously a more or less legitimate, and at any rate a powerfull, source of any rebellion, but if you leave it unchecked, it makes you stupid.

If the whole point of this nitpicking is using some random person as a prugelknabe for your own feelings of inadequacy, it seems somewhat unfair towards the random person. And ressentiment is obviously a more or less legitimate, and at any rate a powerfull, source of any rebellion, but if you leave it unchecked, it makes you stupid.

You believe you have worked out the 'whole point' (because there's only one) of this thread and know the motives/feelings of every single person who has posted on it?

everyones just randomly picked on Laurie and the criticisms of her journalistic dishonesty are just 'nitpicking'... er okay.

Anyway, use some more long words, I'm interested in learning what else you've covered at Uni this semester :)

Ms Crabapple I presume?

The link to the wiki definition of ressentiment was a nice touch.

You don't need to be registered to read this thread. Could be coincidence but I suspect this is one of Laurie's bohemian mates because they turned up within hours of Laurie.

It's not Molly, Molly can't spell for toffee.

Pop psychology and foreign verbosity! You did P&P at Oxford and I claim my five deutsche mark.

I looked up prugelknabe and it just means "whipping boy". So we have a direct translation for it in English and using the German is fucking stupid. There are foreign words that merit use in English but only if they don't have a worthy or succinct equivalent.

I looked up prugelknabe and it just means "whipping boy". So we have a direct translation for it in English and using the German is fucking stupid. There are foreign words that merit use in English but only if they don't have a worthy or succinct equivalent.

Yes, but using it marks you out as better than everyone who has to look it up. Different. A unique special terribly clever little flower :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom