Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way Laurie Penny's favourite work she ever did in 2012 was this:

London, baby, you’re beautiful just the way you are. It’s tempting to see the city the way it sees itself sometimes, as an ageing diva, swelling and spreading and prone to hot flashes, painfully aware of losing its international relevance. London forgets that there is witchcraft in these old bones, and dirt, and the sort of power that accretes in any filthy old body with a tendency to consume its own young.

Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed
I wrote well over a hundred essays and articles in 2012, but this is my favourite. London, Underground: for @newinquiry http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/london-underground/

Where she lives with Nick Lezzard is a 'hovel'.

Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed
THE HOVEL I AM IN YOU. Finally home after months of travelling. @nicklezard has hugs coming at him from all over the shop.

Nothing of the exchanges here impacted on her year:

Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed
In 2012 I got a job, took a bus across the USA, went to Greece and wrote a book, got heartbroken several times, and I don't regret a thing.
Yes Laurie Penny, you win, well played.

She posted a photo of her hovel (maybe on twitter?), it's a room big enough for a double bed (complete with full linen) and is quite modest but a mile away from being a hovel, but she's probably never even been in a damp council flat with no room for a fridge let alone a double bed.

The hovel

Ux4nE.jpg

He only beat you cos he sneakily edited :D

I'm not sure that posting pictures of LP's bedroom is a good idea, btw.

It's on her blog and on her twitter.

I wouldn't post if she hadn't put it out in the public domain.

@sihhi

Did you read the London 2012 essay she wrote? It was quite good, but again, she uses the plight of a disabled person as part of her work. This person was concerned she would lose her benefits after an Atos assessment.

Does LP ever do any follow-up articles on the people she writes about, or is she uninterested in their plight once her writing is finished?

That London underground essay was very reminiscent of Mieville and Gaiman's writings on London to be honest, I'm thinking particularly Kraken and Neverwhere.

ETA or maybe Morrison in the Invisibles which is blates her and her NY chums bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom