Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

Check your levels Midge.

i still don't have a clue what happened

seems weird though that owen jones and company are moaning about self appointed, self righteous elitists undermining progressive politics and speaking on behalf of others without their consent, isn't that what they do?

How can you say such things!!!???
Isn't it obvious that by the action of paying attention to the witterings of Jones, Penny et al, they believe that we consent to their attempts to represent us?

At least, that's the impression I come away with, every time I read an article by any of these soi-disant activists and radicals.

Never mind check your privilege, they could use some check your princials, check your priorities, and less check your navel.

I don't know about that. A little fucking reflexivity from this bunch wouldn't go amiss in my opinion.

Can you imagine if this bunch had to submit themselves to revolutionary self-criticism? They wouldn't have the self-awareness needed!

Given that I'm a bipolar Aspie with chronic asthma, diabetes, high blood cholesterol and probable epilepsy, does that automatically entitle me to a leading and highly-paid opinion column syndicated everywhere on the planet and a series of increasingly lucrative career opportunities?

Or does it entitle me to be spoken for by self-appointed 'voices of the movement' who'll then pocket the cash and recycle my words and thoughts as their own because I'm obviously too impaired to be allowed free use of either?

No, your middle-aged honkiness erases any brownie points you get for the other factors, just like my middle-aged honkiness erases mine. Basically, we could be tramps and the likes of Laura and her fellow-travellers will still tell us to "check our privilege" with their own special lack of self-awareness. ;)

To be honest this is all hurting my head. I'm having trouble figuring out which side to root for.

I think that possibly, the idea that there is a side to root for...or even any meaningful binary opposition in play...is a sign that there are protagonists out there who've yet to give their privilege a full audit.
Once they have, all differences of opinion will dissolve and we shall beat our swords into ploughshares.
At that point, the need for a radical commentariat will disappear and they'll probably get jobs on Radio 1.

I'm a bit of a social media resister (old fogey) so it's hard for me to get a handle on how powerful or otherwise this is.

I'm not sure that the "power" isn't mostly inherent to "the powerful" using it to disseminate info. For every "rebel" twitter that has broken news, we have a hundred twitters from media darlings pushing their own agenda from under a veneer of rebelliousness.

Personally, I can't be arsed with it because I've seen little evidence that people, even those who write as a profession, can articulate themselves properly in 140-character bites. I like my arguments to have meat in them. :)

I do still listen to the radio but I hadn't noticed him.

It looks like I'm going to have to pay more attention :eek:

To be fair, he's got one of those radio voices that makes me tune him out unless I make a concerted effort to listen. He sort of chirps, like PR people do.

I think that possibly, the idea that there is a side to root for...or even any meaningful binary opposition in play...is a sign that there are protagonists out there who've yet to give their privilege a full audit.

I worry that this confusion is down to my own resistance to self-criticism :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom