Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
firky said:
Even if you don't have a phone. Please phone.

Find me a previous employer or work experience lead and I will. Never waited tables? Worked as a carer? Charity shop/kitchen? Surely she must have done some life experience, not just moved from lecture hall to journalism? With that amount of verbal diarrhoea she must have mentioned something?

If we examine this

The claim that it is egalitarian is nonsense - the structure of the industry is exactly the same- advertisers need satisfaction, a boss or editor oversees the work and the minions are underneath, the only thing different is the technology is produced in computer factories in China. It is perhaps more liberal-meritocratic, as in it allows the boss to better quicker select who is more worthy. The grounds for deciding what 'more worthy' remain the domain of the boss.
Pretty much like most private sector then.

Find me a previous employer or work experience lead and I will. Never waited tables? Worked as a carer? Charity shop/kitchen? Surely she must have done some life experience, not just moved from lecture hall to journalism? With that amount of verbal diarrhoea she must have mentioned something?

claimed to have been on the rock for a year once?

Oh boo fucking hoo.

Graduated from Oxford in (presumably around June) 2007.
Started the Penny Red blog Sept 2007.
First article in Red Pepper - Oct 2007.
First article in Guardian - Mar 2009.
Worked for Morning Star - early 2010.
First article in New Stateman - May 2010.
First article in Indie - Nov 2011.

At some point in those 4 years she also got her NCTJ training in too.

Christ, I can't believe I've just spent 20 minutes doing that.

Graduated in 2008.This is from 2010:

Laurie Penny, 23, never imagined she would find herself enmeshed in a world of poverty and the grip of the benefit system when she graduated with a 2:1 degree in English from Oxford University in 2008. Even with that name on her CV, she and her contemporaries have found it fiercely difficult to get work.

"It is hard to think of anybody who graduated with me in 2008 who has a job," she said. "People have tried and not been able to find anything, particularly when the recession hit, and you simply cannot live on £50-a-week jobseeker's allowance."

Penny and her friends found their dreams crumbling soon after graduation. Seven of them crammed into a house meant for three, able to go nowhere and buy nothing, living on cheap food which she says made them ill in the winters. Describing herself now as a welfare activist, she writes and blogs on the plight of the young unemployed, who she says have no voice.

"We were living like a scene from Withnail & I, except there was no space to move," she said. "It was very miserable. People get very depressed – that level of poverty has a bad effect on your mental health, it makes people feel that nothing will ever get better. I know that is the situation for a lot of people, but for young graduates, middle-class people, it is a real shock. It is not sufficiently recognised at all – how poor the rates are in the benefit system."

Laurie Penny, 23, never imagined she would find herself enmeshed in a world of poverty and the grip of the benefit system when she graduated with a 2:1 degree in English from Oxford University in 2008. Even with that name on her CV, she and her contemporaries have found it fiercely difficult to get work.
"It is hard to think of anybody who graduated with me in 2008 who has a job," she said. "People have tried and not been able to find anything, particularly when the recession hit, and you simply cannot live on £50-a-week jobseeker's allowance."
Penny and her friends found their dreams crumbling soon after graduation. Seven of them crammed into a house meant for three, able to go nowhere and buy nothing, living on cheap food which she says made them ill in the winters. Describing herself now as a welfare activist, she writes and blogs on the plight of the young unemployed, who she says have no voice.
"We were living like a scene from Withnail & I, except there was no space to move," she said. "It was very miserable. People get very depressed – that level of poverty has a bad effect on your mental health, it makes people feel that nothing will ever get better. I know that is the situation for a lot of people, but for young graduates, middle-class people, it is a real shock. It is not sufficiently recognised at all – how poor the rates are in the benefit system."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/apr/30/general-election-unemployment-poverty

Graduated in 2008.This is from 2010:

No she graduated in 2007, when it's not for mass publication, it's pretty clear that summer 2007 is when she graduated and started her blog straight afterwards September 2007.
http://brokenbottleboy.tumblr.com/p...punch-more-instructions-from-laurie-penny-the
“Hi Mic, you haven’t done your basic research here. Before becoming a full-time writer I worked in a shop, in an office, in a bar, I waitressed my way through university to support myself, I worked in a fast food restaurant and consistently did contract work and odd jobs to support myself through the intern circuit after university. I was moved up in school so I actually graduated in 2007, and didn’t get my first real break in writing or become a ‘commentator’ until late 2010 - and the years in between were full of the anxiety, poverty, and periods of unemployment and hopelessness that are standard for anyone our age without a trust fund and a rolodex of family connections trying to get into the creative industries.

I try to be open about the fact that my parents gave me some support too, because I think it’s a terrible injustice that that often makes more of a difference in the media world than talent. But some people try to use my choice to make a point of that to attack me. I’m sorry you haven’t been as lucky in your quest for a column gig so far, but I don’t think that launching bogus attacks on others who have is the best way to get ahead. You certainly write well - if you actually want to chat about work, feel free to email me any time.”

The tumblr post was in response to this article http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...--women-need-to-rise-up-in-anger-7544480.html
Deeds, not words. Fewer business lunches, more throwing punches. Of course, there will be consequences. Those large armed men aren't just there for decoration, and the suffragettes who had their breasts twisted and their bones broken in prison 101 years ago knew that full well.

Reading it again, it seems modelled on Malcolm X's we need to stop singing and start swinging

No she graduated in 2007, when it's not for mass publication, it's pretty clear that summer 2007 is when she graduated and started her blog straight afterwards September 2007.
http://brokenbottleboy.tumblr.com/p...punch-more-instructions-from-laurie-penny-the
“Hi Mic, you haven’t done your basic research here. Before becoming a full-time writer I worked in a shop, in an office, in a bar, I waitressed my way through university to support myself, I worked in a fast food restaurant and consistently did contract work and odd jobs to support myself through the intern circuit after university. I was moved up in school so I actually graduated in 2007, and didn’t get my first real break in writing or become a ‘commentator’ until late 2010 - and the years in between were full of the anxiety, poverty, and periods of unemployment and hopelessness that are standard for anyone our age without a trust fund and a rolodex of family connections trying to get into the creative industries.

Easy way out of that slip for her - the subs got it wrong in the guardian piece.

I know it was ever thus, but I think all the useful interesting stuff on this thread is getting swamped amongst a lot of trivial shit, and digressions abotu LLETSA and pearosts of Laurie Penny's book reviews etc.

I know it's all very exciting that herself has deemed us worthy of a visit in person, but perhaps we should just calm it down and stop forensically re-going over all this stuff time and time again? There's lots of other far more interesting things to talk about, like Luddites, for example :D

To be clear I don't hold Laurie's background against her. Nor indeed any of the rich kids who routinely land these sort of careers. It's not their fault. It a system, a set of social, economic and cultural relations. That's what we attack.

They should grasp any opportunity their status gives them and make the most of it.

Just don't whine about how tough it is, or claim to be a voice for us.

Enjoy yourself LP et al, I would in your shoes...

Btw,what a bubblicious phrase intern circuit is.

It's more precise than " a trust fund and a rolodex of family connections "

I would argue that family connections are not necessarily important in this field, the Oxbridge connection is, however important, random example brought up by googling on the comment awards:

http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/former/emmanuelsoc/newsletter/nl10/newsletter.html

A private database for old college members:

The careers database on the Emmanuel website offers the chance for both current and former students to get in touch for careers advice and networking opportunities. More than 450 people working in areas from academia and accountancy right through to writers and vets have already added their details. Please could anyone whose job or circumstances have changed since providing their details update their profile. You can add your career details at www.emma.cam.ac.uk/former/careers/.

And a talk and chance to network with Hugo Rifkind for £20 each:

Will Newspapers Survive? - Friday 26 October
Hugo Rifkind (1995) is a freelance journalist and columnist for The Times and the Spectator. His novel, Overexposure, was published in 2006 and he was named Columnist of the Year at the Editorial Intelligence Comment Awards in 2011. Hugo will be talking about the future of the newspapers and media at 5.30pm in the Queen's Building on Friday 26 October. The talk will be followed by a buffet supper in the Old Library.
COST: £20/HEAD

Hugo Rifkind - son of Malcolm, Thatcherite destroyer of Scottish industry - that is.

Is it fair to say you need university connections to win the intern circuit grand prix?

oh no, im being sucked in.........
:eek::facepalm::D:mad:

i hadnt seen that before ... im speechless. dont know whether to laugh or cry. The funniest bit is

It says a great big deal that someone with my opportunities - middle-class parents, nice school, Oxford - still isn't privileged enough to walk into a feature-writing job without years of being knocked back and getting up again, a process that, let me assure you, is very much ongoing...
ffs :D :D

and as for
"Meanwhile, the people above you are holding the door to the next stage firmly shut."
...id love to know what she means by that. Just what job does she think she should be walking into the she hasnt been allowed to yet?

oh no, im being sucked in.........

:eek::facepalm::D:mad:

i hadnt seen that before ... im speechless. dont know whether to laugh or cry. The funniest bit is

It says a great big deal that someone with my opportunities - middle-class parents, nice school, Oxford - still isn't privileged enough to walk into a feature-writing job without years of being knocked back and getting up again, a process that, let me assure you, is very much ongoing...
ffs :D :D

and as for
"Meanwhile, the people above you are holding the door to the next stage firmly shut."
...id love to know what she means by that. Just what job does she think she should be walking into the she hasnt been allowed to yet?

And all without a trace of irony.

Oh boo fucking hoo.

Graduated from Oxford in (presumably around June) 2007.
Started the Penny Red blog Sept 2007.
First article in Red Pepper - Oct 2007.
First article in Guardian - Mar 2009.
Worked for Morning Star - early 2010.
First article in New Stateman - May 2010.
First article in Indie - Nov 2011.

At some point in those 4 years she also got her NCTJ training in too.

Christ, I can't believe I've just spent 20 minutes doing that.

I knew people who took up apprenticeships on local papers in the '70s, who accepted that in terms of career progression they had to "pay their dues" for 8-10 years before they were likely to get a lowly staff position on a national, unless they happened to break an absolutely ginormous story that went national or (preferably) international.
Ms. Penny doesn't know she's born. :)

I knew people who took up apprenticeships on local papers in the '70s, who accepted that in terms of career progression they had to "pay their dues" for 8-10 years before they were likely to get a lowly staff position on a national, unless they happened to break an absolutely ginormous story that went national or (preferably) international.
Ms. Penny doesn't know she's born. :)

". . . and if you tell that to young people today, they won't believe you."

Like Cambridge University's Mic Wright, the Broken Bottle Boy blogger @sihhi quotes? :D

Oh god he's another one!!

Must have graduated about a year later than Penny and has been news editor and online news editor for Stuff Magazine, and front section editor for Q. Since 2009 he's been freelancing. He's currently chief tech blogger at the Torygraph (first article there August this year), is creative director of an editorial/business consultancy, and yet only wrote that whingefest on his blog back in March?
Fucks sake :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom