Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this now the generic thread for ripping into any prominent left-wingers who win awards? Or who don't win awards? The odd sock drawer for sticking the boot into random lefties.

This thread is funnier when it's just laughing at Laurie Penny's tweets. Definitely funnier than Nathan Barley was anyway.

btw butchers what's "little matchstick" a reference too? Sincere question.

Is that the same Ellie Mae O'Hagen that wrote that dreadful self pitying piece in the Guardian today?

images

she's really throwing herself into the relief efforts since arriving in New York

Excited to be doing the introduction to the German edition of the Pussy Riot book. Will try to find somewhere to put eng. version online.

In NYC? Come and see me and @daughteroffury talk about women, writing and her excellent new book next Friday

Walking through Wburg in the cold. Today is Finish Chapter Plan day. Steeling myself up like a ninja to start this book for real

I just backed The Sky is Calling: Kim Boekbinder's @Kickstarterhttp://kck.st/O5D9PK you should, too - she's at 98% with 1 day to go!

Apparently this is because:-

No earthly way to get down to volunteering sites so heading out to give blood for the #sandy relief efforts

So, I won't be able to come and help out personally but everyone can have a little bit of my blood instead

In a previous tweet she said she would only go to a volunteer site if it was within walking distance of where she was

In a previous tweet she said she would only go to a volunteer site if it was within walking distance of where she was

How incredibly enthusiastic and truly committed of her. Does her idea of the 'disaster area du jour' also include being within walking distance of a Starbucks and Pizza Hut (both of which will no doubt be expected to deliver) as well? Still, I don't suppose her not being physically there or genuinely willing/possessing the kills to actually be able to do something useful will spare us a series of breathless 'first hand' accounts (for a fiver a paragraph, naturally).

Meanwhile in red hook, brooklyn:

The comparisons to Katrina have been everywhere, of course, but for me they hit home when, safe in my Crown Heights apartment that never even lost power, I saw friends and acquaintances who’d been involved with Occupy Wall Street tweeting their relief activities under the hashtag #OccupySandy. I couldn’t help but think, as I watched them tweet their setup of a hub in Red Hook, of Common Ground, of Malik Rahim, of New Orleans’ mutual aid after the storm, and how leftists and radicals (Rahim, a former Black Panther, learned about community care from the Panthers’ free food and tutoring programs) step quietly into the spaces that are left vacant by the wrecking crew that’s laid waste to social welfare programs and the churches and charities that Republicans keep telling us will step up to provide care.

Laurie Penny@PennyRed
@anamariecox hey I'm organising volunteering stuff tomorrow, also a journolady. Want to co-ordinate? L xx

Out of all the people in the city she could roll up her sleeves with, she managed to home in on somebody from GQ with over a million twitter followers. Looks like a bit of a fib to make herself sound important as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom