Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Albums Of The Year 2008

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
The votes are counted and tallied, the phonelines are still open, but don't bother calling, roll up roll up etc etc

So the 209 nominations have been whittled down to 30, and I will get through as many as I can before leaving work! So you might end up with quite an interesting cliffhanger. Perhaps you can turn it onto a game of some sort! Also, I am at work, so there may be unforeseen gaps between posts where I have to actually appear to do some....

Joint 28

51OVFZWVypL._SS500_.jpg

Another year, another Fall album! Always different, always the same.

51b1UTx0VpL._SS400_.jpg

Silver Mt Zion - 13 Blues For 13 Moons

Not their finest work, but nevertheless, a fine work. Angrier than usual, possibly noisier. Still lovely.

312%2BD4cChuL._SS400_.jpg

Lindstrom - Where You Go I Go Too

Uh, don't know anything about this ambienty fellow, but he looks lovely, doesn't he?

were all three of those in my list? i've lost it :D

eta: wow. none of them were, but they were in my top 30

Joint 26

51A3HjVAzuL._SS500_.jpg

Tricky - Knowle West Boy

Top stuff, his finest album for years.

41TzU9EGbRL._SS400_.jpg

The Magnetic Fields - Distortion

One of those bands that still feel like a secret. Lo-fi, whistful and powerful!

51Nq7ADkKKL._SS500_.jpg

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Lie Down In The Light

Haven't listened to this, despite being a fan. Can someone tell us how good it is?

41Q1iBlSDlL._SS500_.jpg

Vivian Girls - s/t

New York art rock, harmonies and feedback. People keep saying they sound like JAMC, which is a bit lazy but it will do.

51Hajw4IgBL._SS500_.jpg

Kings Of Leon - Only By the Night

At least this lot need not be described. Mainstream radio rock with a southern theme. Headlined Glastonbury. Got a number one single with the word Sex in it, like George Michael and that I Wanna Sex Up band. Shaved their beards. 2008 is their year!

41uMvNw-U-L._SS500_.jpg

Fucked Up - The Chemistry Of Common Life

For some five minutes this year, the NME decided that hardcore was back and Fucked Up were the standard bearers of a heavy punk revolution. But no-one listened because the NME is no longer able to dictate trends at will and exists to sell hair products to kids from the sticks. However, this record is really rather good, so don't be put off.

41Q1iBlSDlL._SS500_.jpg

Vivian Girls - s/t

New York art rock, harmonies and feedback. People keep saying they sound like JAMC, which is a bit lazy but it will do.

More like the Shop Assistants really. The first from my list to make the line up. (Only because I clean forgot about the Mag Fields album :oops:)

Joint 20

51kIuebyBSL._SS400_.jpg

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Kind of shoegaze, not dreampop but perhaps nightmare pop cos it has angles and stuff.

Oh sure. Just saying in case someone downloads that one expecting gentle instrumentation, etc. It's a deliberate Mary Chain homage album, and a bloody racket. :D

I stand corrected :D - i didn't bother with it cos they've always bored me rigid :D

Back
Top Bottom