Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Pivotal Moment In Housing - When The Tories Take Our Home

moonshine1

Streetpeople2015

A place to live is one of the most basic of human needs, next to taking food that is. Unfortunately, housing has now become a source of income for those who can afford to ‘buy to let’ or ‘buy to sit’ (buy and then leave empty). Using housing as a way to make money has meant that rents and house prices are ever increasing, spiralling out of control in places like London.

Therefore, for the most of us, paying for housing has become an increasingly difficult situation.

In London, people spend on average more than 50% of their income on rent or mortgage payments and rising. Together with low wages and benefit cuts, the cost of housing is yet another attack on the working class, as the government, banks and corporations make us pay for their never ending crisis.

The Housing Crisis

In many towns and cities, the housing crisis has given rise to a host of campaigns that are challenging the current situation. Some campaigns focus on anti-eviction work, for example, the E15 mothers who successfully stopped the relocation of the young mothers out of London. They continue to campaign against individual evictions and against social cleansing. Others are fighting the demolition of whole estates as housing associations and councils sell their properties to private developers. A pivotal moment has now been reached in the history and long story of social housing provision in this country.

Squatters On The Front Line

Then at the other end of the housing spectrum, but not at the end of the rainbow, there are the many homeless people and, in particular, the squatters and crews who have become increasingly vocal and active during the course of this last year: the Aylesbury estate squatters, squatted Elephant and Castle Social Centre and the many anonymous homeless people who have been illegally squatting residential properties. Squatters and Homeless Autonomy (SHA), my own crew, have endeavored to do whatever we could to force the issue of housing up the agenda, the lack of it, the homeless crisis, at a time of intense difficulty for many, including children of which there were 100,000 without family homes this Christmas just gone. We Know of two cases where children, innocent and blameless have sadly died this year because they and their families were homeless.

This From The Tory Daily Express

“The boy, known as Donald, was born prematurely on July 6 in Poole, Dorset, where his mother had escaped to from Kent to flee an abusive ex-partner.

Donald’s destitute parents were evicted from the house they were renting and couldn’t scrape together enough money for a deposit for a new place, forcing them to rough it in their car.

But Poole Borough Council were unable to support the mother, who is known only as Jane because she was not from the borough.”

Historically Council Housing

Historically council housing is public housing rented to households who are unable to afford to rent from the private sector or buy their own home. It has been called council housing due to the role of district and borough councils managing the housing with a record second and next to none other. More recently Registered Social Landlords (RSLs), including semi-independent and not-for-profit housing associations, have played a larger role in providing and managing housing, consequently council and RSL housing is collectively known as ‘social housing’.

The underlying principle of council house provision is that the private sector was deemed unable to provide adequate housing for all and so state intervention was required to ensure there was good quality affordable housing for low-income households.

We have no intention to write a definitive history of social housing in this post, but merely to highlight what is going to be lost if the crooks who run government manage to make the last push through the lobbies of the commons to the Housing and Planning Bill and make it law.

The bill will extend the Right to Buy scheme to housing association homes, oblige local powers to sell ‘high-value housing stock’ and phase out secure tenancies for council tenants. Acting both as tool of division between housing association tenants and legal groundwork for the mass privatisation of council housing, the Housing and Planning Bill is worrying, malicious and vindictive in equal measure.

What’s To Be Done?

It’s quarter to twelve - or I should say, we have just 5 days before we are robbed of the social housing that generations before us fought and supposedly won for working people. To take away such a resource as public housing when there are so many in need is like breaking someone's leg and then saying, make your own way to accident and emergency - only on arrival you discover they have sold off the health service. If you can’t pay you don’t get cured - or housed.

We are under no illusion. If they can do this to our housing, then they will privatise without hesitation the NHS and any other loose and dangling parts of our welfare system.

Now, more than ever, we need to fight back. It has already started. Just look at what a group of young mothers have done, the E15 mothers, or all the other examples given - squatting is breaking the political silence. SHA has taken if you like a leaf out their healthy book and we will stand with anyone who is prepared to take whatever actions are necessary, including direct actions and any other activities that put roofs over people's heads - and enable them to house themselves.

There Is No Time To Lose

The People's Assembly, the TUC, can have all the marching around our capital city they like. And to be fair to them we have to say, they have had some Humdingers when anarchists, youngsters or squatters are involved, but marching from A to B, just what has it achieved - if anything positive, beyond hollow “movement-building”, please let us know.

Making the newspapers, refining the art of doing that, playing at being a spin-doctor may have a place in some scrapbooks, but it’s not the same as addressing a crisis of homelessness. It has its place, so we are not knocking that - far from it as suffering and resistance must be made known, love and compassion will always have a place in a civilized system and society.

In the new year, we all have to do some thinking. We have to have discussions whilst at the same time waging that fight back. It is very necessary - now more than ever - to carry on and wage a war that destroys our class enemies.

For our part as homeless squatters, we will continue to fight gentrification, we will continue to stand up for the street homeless - where it is possible we bring them in from the cold as we believe that it's better to give them the skills to squat. We will continue to have contact and support the working class communities where we live and encourage others to stand up...Together we can put the meat on the bones!

In The New Year

For the new year, we are making plans already. These include getting out and about amongst the homeless community and carrying regular reports on this page. Homeless London is an effort by SHA members to directly facilitate the self-empowerment of the homeless. We are currently working on spreading squatting skills, legal information and the ways in which street homeless people can stay in close and quick communication with one another. We want to support the collective action of street homeless people to defend, house and protect themselves.

We will be supporting the Demonstration On January 5th, Against The Housing and Planning Bill.

Finally, our apologies for the length of this post, and a very big thank you to all our friends who have joined us on this Homeless London Facebook page, such support means so much to us.

Out with the old, in with the new: may you be happy the whole year through. Happy New Year Comrades and friends all!

The Homeless London Team - members of SHA

Nice one on the action you are taking on this!

I've got one criticism about what you've written though:
Historically council housing is public housing rented to households who are unable to afford to rent from the private sector or buy their own home.
I disagree - historically council housing has always been mixed with both people on very low incomes and people on good wages, maybe even the odd person with a bit of money. Its important to reiterate this because much of Tory social housing policy is about pushing people into buying their own home (including through right to buy), rent privately, or be forced to pay higher rent, as soon as they can afford to (or rather are seen as being able to afford to). This will have a destabilising effect on families/individuals and communities and is about making housing less secure for all of us.

Good luck with your campaign. Unfortunately the current dysfunctional housing market is at diametric odds to this. The vested interest is in ever increasing house prices & rents & everybody who gets onto the housing ladder with a mortgage they can barely afford to service can only vote for a Tory(or nu labour stylee)government who will perpetuate this. As the old die off with the equity from their homes all gone on equity release & end of life care, more & more younger people will end up renting with barely affordable rents & less & less will be able to get mortgages. Eventually there should enough of these to vote in a left wing government who will start a massive program of council house building similar to 1960s-70s which in a few yrs should result in decent affordable homes for all.

I doubt this will happen by 2020, but by 2025 & beyond, who knows?

Yes, I agree, Saskia - housing is a cyclical issue - always susceptible to property bubbles as a 70% home-owning majority has a very vested interest is supporting the status quo...the rental sector, whether social or council has always had a diminished importance in the eyes of policy makers/MPs...until the numbers start to tip and children of middle class parents, who fully expected to own a home, find they are also left out of the housing opportunity scam. Housing is NOT like a holiday, a flatscreen TV (Oh stereotype!), a new sofa - like food, it is a necessity. Most people will ultimately comply with all restrictions and oppressions to keep a minimum of security, can eat and keep a roof over their heads...but when those rights are removed, then public dissent, riots, disorder will ramp up once it appears there is nothing left to lose.
Interestingly, this housing shortage is happening at a time when there are more single households/people choosing to forgo the 'standard' 2/3 generation family household model...which does leave a space for more experimental ways of living - from housing co-ops, shared ownerships, different housing models...and I confess I welcome this, as the typical 2 parents, 2child household has some unhappy results ranging from parent's living under the cosh of impossible debt, isolation, unreal expectations and angry offspring forced to remain in a permanent state of arrested development, stuck in the family home, seemingly forever.

It's still a relative term if your on not much more then minimum wage...
Both house prices and renting are much more affordable, 'doon sooth' a couple ( from what I've read on here) both working their arses off would just be able to afford to rent a one bedroomed flat, the same money would buy you a new two bedroomed house around here.
It's moving the jobs North that is the problem.

Both house prices and renting are much more affordable, 'doon sooth' a couple ( from what I've read on here) both working their arses off would just be able to afford to rent a one bedroomed flat, the same money would buy you a new two bedroomed house around here.
It's moving the jobs North that is the problem.

The other problem being that people have family and personal 'roots' and don't necessarily want to move.

The other problem being that people have family and personal 'roots' and don't necessarily want to move.
I could understand that this would have been the case a few years ago but with modern transport and communications it really shouldn't present a problem?
If you want to bring up a family without worrying yourself where the rent/ mortgage payment is going to come from its a no brainer,
The problem is moving decent well paid jobs up North, something all three major parties have paid lip service too, but in reality have done very little to implement.
TBTH, if I lived 'doon sooth" and was starting out again I wouldn't bother with the UK, I'd be away to OZ or NZ or even Canada.

I could understand that this would have been the case a few years ago but with modern transport and communications it really shouldn't present a problem?
If you want to bring up a family without worrying yourself where the rent/ mortgage payment is going to come from its a no brainer,
The problem is moving decent well paid jobs up North, something all three major parties have paid lip service too, but in reality have done very little to implement.
TBTH, if I lived 'doon sooth" and was starting out again I wouldn't bother with the UK, I'd be away to OZ or NZ or even Canada.

I see where you're coming from, but moving away from family ties and familiarity is too big a step for a lot of people, especially around child care and making new friends.

Turning the issue on its head, there are jobs in the south of England but (as the OP is pointing out) the problem of affordable housing in places like London has got to crisis point.

It's not that easy to get a work visa for those countries.

There's also a reason property is cheaper up North - fewer jobs.
Visas aren't that hard provided you have a skill or a relative in the country concerned, not to sure about Canada though.
And I did mention that moving well paid jobs North would remove the bottleneck, but there is too much money to be made from maintaining the current N/S status quo.

I see where you're coming from, but moving away from family ties and familiarity is too big a step for a lot of people, especially around child care and making new friends.

Turning the issue on its head, there are jobs in the south of England but (as the OP is pointing out) the problem of affordable housing in places like London has got to crisis point.

Agreed, but if those 'jobs' were moved North the 'affordable housing' is already in place. And you wouldn't have to pay £0000s in commuting costs.
I have to point out, I have no direct experience of working 'doon sooth' and am basing my comments on the experiences related on here and other sources.

Agreed, but if those 'jobs' were moved North the 'affordable housing' is already in place. And you wouldn't have to pay £0000s in commuting costs.
I have to point out, I have no direct experience of working 'doon sooth' and am basing my comments on the experiences related on here and other sources.

Thing is, people shouldn't have to uproot from all that they know just to work! I agree there is an imbalance between the north and south but that is looking at it in very polarised terms.

There is so much that can be done in terms of housing costs - rent caps and legislation around security in the private sector being two very obvious and do-able ones if the government had the will, but of course this government doesn't.

Thing is, people shouldn't have to uproot from all that they know just to work! I agree there is an imbalance between the north and south but that is looking at it in very polarised terms.

There is so much that can be done in terms of housing costs - rent caps and legislation around security in the private sector being two very obvious and do-able ones if the government had the will, but of course this government doesn't.

There is, but it won't happen, it's in the interests of the 1% to keep the population polarised,but when they are blatantly evicting long term council residents from prime sites in London and 'empowering"housing association tenants to buy their homes (ps tell Sid) then how much bleaker can it get?
The view from 'up North' is the 1% is flogging London and the SE as fast as it can, unless you can resurrect Wat Tyler, then you're all condemned to living in hovels and working in service industries.
Now,this could be an exaggeration and a total misconception on my part, and I'm sure if it is,someone will correct me.

I don't think this is new though, I live in Newham and when the "Olympic Park" was built as an act of worship to our steroid-enhanced sporting deities ("long may they make people believe in the supremacy of a nation that has long since crumbled" or whatever the current chant is these days), a load of people at the bottom end of the housing rung were basically shipped off somewhere else. As in you can't live here any longer, but there's a 1 bed flat in Hull that you can go to, or words to that effect.

Hope someone else can recall this because it was a big thing around here at the time, but I could stand to come out of this looking like an idiot if I'm the only one that remembers this going on at the time.

certainly remember the general concept

can only find this which links Newham Council with making enquiries about properties in Stoke-on-Trent. This links Croydon council with Hull.

Yes, it was Stoke-on-Trent that Newham tried to get people displaced by the Olympics relocated to. Not sure what happened with it all in the end, but it was quite big local news at the time.

The Olympics didn't have much direct affect on me personally, the council wrote to me (along with everyone else) and asked me to put up people at my own cost!!! to further the great sporting aims of this nation. Oh and my husband (who is a nurse and a phlebotomist) was asked to do drug testing on competitors for 2 weeks with no pay. LOL - as in LOL who will pay the bills whilst he is not at work and not being paid for doing that? :facepalm: (He turned down that sweet offer).

Sorry, bit of a swerve off topic. As you were.

Last edited:
There is, but it won't happen, it's in the interests of the 1% to keep the population polarised,but when they are blatantly evicting long term council residents from prime sites in London and 'empowering"housing association tenants to buy their homes (ps tell Sid) then how much bleaker can it get?
The view from 'up North' is the 1% is flogging London and the SE as fast as it can, unless you can resurrect Wat Tyler, then you're all condemned to living in hovels and working in service industries.
Now,this could be an exaggeration and a total misconception on my part, and I'm sure if it is,someone will correct me.

The 1% flogging London isn't an exaggeration, no. High end properties being built and left empty is part of the problem.

I say 'high end' but I'm aware that flats quite near me in Forest Hill - a modest part of London and no Mayfair - were offered to overseas investors and I'm sure that's true for other equally modest parts of London.

It doesn't necessarily mean resurrecting Wat Tyler (which might be a good idea) but needs pressure on the government to legislate - as well as rent caps and security of tenure, there needs to be a bar to a) leaving properties empty, because they are bought as an investment that will only go up in value and b) offering properties (or I should say homes, ffs!) to investors before offering them to people who will actually live in them.

And what of the people already living in those houses, where do they go? It'll just be a case of pushing others further away. When the music stops, who will it be without a chair?

As an 80s Tory once said, "we want a nation at ease with itself, with wealth cascading down through the generations". This was the case for home ownership, you buy a house & then leave it to your kids when you die. Too simplistic to work of course which is why it didn't, but I think the good point is that decent affordable housing with security of tenure whether bought or rented is key to a happy society. Whatever else anybody does they need a nice warm secure place to live in a place that suits them that costs a reasonable & not excessive amount.

This does not mean that people should be forced to move from the area where they & their extended families have always lived if they do not want to. Some people are happy to move around for work but not everybody. Talk of the 'drift south' where for generations, those from the north have moved south for work but how many of those would have moved from their home areas if work had been available locally? So it all comes back to building new council houses all over the country is what is required. If people are happy then society will be better & work better, with a good government who can encourage job creation more evenly nationwide.

And what of the people already living in those houses, where do they go? It'll just be a case of pushing others further away. When the music stops, who will it be without a chair?
We seem to be at cross purposes here? What people living in what houses? There's is an oversupply of housing up here, nobody is going to be 'moved out'

You can't just "move jobs" to the north anyway. A lot of the reason why employers want to set up in the south is that it is nearer to Europe, or nearer to people who want to be nearer to Europe, or nearer to people who prefer the weather down there etc etc. Basically there are geographical reasons for the population concentration in the south east. These can be overcome but only by the government basically bribing institutions and people to move north by giving them more resources than they currently get from where they are.

Last edited:
You can't just "move jobs" to the north anyway. A lot of the reason why employers want to set up in the south is that it is nearer to Europe, or nearer to people who want to be nearer to Europe, or nearer to people who prefer the weather down there etc etc. Basically there are geographical reasons for the population concentration in the south east. These can be overcome but only by the government basically bribing institutions and people to move north by giving them more resources than they currently get from where they are.
Well yes and no _ I mean we're just talking about 200-300 miles from London to Northern England, 650 miles between London and the North of Scotland - with modern communications and transport distance like that shouldn't be a barrier, and I doubt there's many countries where jobs are so concentrated in one area. The weather isn't that bad here either!

The needless destruction of mining and heavy industry etc in the north meant not just job losses in those industries but all the supporting industries and services - and this is ongoing. Add to that stupidly high transport costs (ie only 3 hours Newcastle-London on the train, but buying on the day or travelling during commuting times prices are eyewatering). Also as there's more countryside round here, underinvestment in communications technology in rural areas and the semi-feudal influence of big landowners has a part to play. Ultimately its the skewing of the whole economy towards financial capital at the expense of everything else thats the problem.

In this, as in so many other areas, the Government has chosen to rely on a "push" approach, rather than a "pull" one.

From welfare to housing, what they have done is to set out to make (or at least not do anything when it happens anyway) the prevailing state of affairs untenable, on the premise that, eventually, people will be unable to do anything but make the changes the government wants (relocate, get off benefits, accept worse employment conditions, etc).

So they're happy to force people who cannot resist (eg social housing tenants) to relocate to some far-flung corner, presumably in the expectation that they will somehow miraculously generate infrastructure around themselves once there, in the same way that they force people on benefits to miraculously generate jobs into which they can flee from the endless beasting of the DWP.

It's always been like this with Tories (red and blue). Norman Tebbit and his "get on your bike" statements were just another example of how Tory governments expect workforces to be ultra-mobile and prepared to go to any lengths to snap up such crumbs as fall (or is it "trickle down"?) from the rich man's table, regardless of the personal consequences to themselves or their families, the societal breakdowns that can result, or the psychological harms done by all of this.

The Tories love having Councils implement their unpopular policies, the poll tax saw staff at Councils getting stick because they collected it and took the legal action. With the bedroom tax , housing staff had to deal with the rent arrears and the eviction. The new limited time tenancies see housing staff having to assess people at the start and end of tenancies, and take action to end the tenancies as well. Plus it creates 2 tier tenancies, existing ones are for life.

On top of that , if rents are linked to income there is further assessment to set the rents , presumably if there is major income change this will also effect the rent level.

From a government who claims they want to do away with red tape , there is an enormous amount of red tape being added to social housing .When staff levels are also being cut, it isn't 'joined up thinking' it is class war again.

I don't think this is new though, I live in Newham and when the "Olympic Park" was built as an act of worship to our steroid-enhanced sporting deities ("long may they make people believe in the supremacy of a nation that has long since crumbled" or whatever the current chant is these days), a load of people at the bottom end of the housing rung were basically shipped off somewhere else. As in you can't live here any longer, but there's a 1 bed flat in Hull that you can go to, or words to that effect.

Hope someone else can recall this because it was a big thing around here at the time, but I could stand to come out of this looking like an idiot if I'm the only one that remembers this going on at the time.

Good piece from Focus E15 from before Xmas - over 400 families moved out of Newham last year (whilst the Carpenter Estate still stands empty whilst it's being argued over how it will be redeveloped).

Streetpeople2015

A place to live is one of the most basic of human needs, next to taking food that is. Unfortunately, housing has now become a source of income for those who can afford to ‘buy to let’ or ‘buy to sit’ (buy and then leave empty). Using housing as a way to make money has meant that rents and house prices are ever increasing, spiralling out of control in places like London.

Therefore, for the most of us, paying for housing has become an increasingly difficult situation.

In London, people spend on average more than 50% of their income on rent or mortgage payments and rising. Together with low wages and benefit cuts, the cost of housing is yet another attack on the working class, as the government, banks and corporations make us pay for their never ending crisis.

The Housing Crisis

In many towns and cities, the housing crisis has given rise to a host of campaigns that are challenging the current situation. Some campaigns focus on anti-eviction work, for example, the E15 mothers who successfully stopped the relocation of the young mothers out of London. They continue to campaign against individual evictions and against social cleansing. Others are fighting the demolition of whole estates as housing associations and councils sell their properties to private developers. A pivotal moment has now been reached in the history and long story of social housing provision in this country.

Squatters On The Front Line

Then at the other end of the housing spectrum, but not at the end of the rainbow, there are the many homeless people and, in particular, the squatters and crews who have become increasingly vocal and active during the course of this last year: the Aylesbury estate squatters, squatted Elephant and Castle Social Centre and the many anonymous homeless people who have been illegally squatting residential properties. Squatters and Homeless Autonomy (SHA), my own crew, have endeavored to do whatever we could to force the issue of housing up the agenda, the lack of it, the homeless crisis, at a time of intense difficulty for many, including children of which there were 100,000 without family homes this Christmas just gone. We Know of two cases where children, innocent and blameless have sadly died this year because they and their families were homeless.

This From The Tory Daily Express

“The boy, known as Donald, was born prematurely on July 6 in Poole, Dorset, where his mother had escaped to from Kent to flee an abusive ex-partner.

Donald’s destitute parents were evicted from the house they were renting and couldn’t scrape together enough money for a deposit for a new place, forcing them to rough it in their car.

But Poole Borough Council were unable to support the mother, who is known only as Jane because she was not from the borough.”

Historically Council Housing

Historically council housing is public housing rented to households who are unable to afford to rent from the private sector or buy their own home. It has been called council housing due to the role of district and borough councils managing the housing with a record second and next to none other. More recently Registered Social Landlords (RSLs), including semi-independent and not-for-profit housing associations, have played a larger role in providing and managing housing, consequently council and RSL housing is collectively known as ‘social housing’.

The underlying principle of council house provision is that the private sector was deemed unable to provide adequate housing for all and so state intervention was required to ensure there was good quality affordable housing for low-income households.

We have no intention to write a definitive history of social housing in this post, but merely to highlight what is going to be lost if the crooks who run government manage to make the last push through the lobbies of the commons to the Housing and Planning Bill and make it law.

The bill will extend the Right to Buy scheme to housing association homes, oblige local powers to sell ‘high-value housing stock’ and phase out secure tenancies for council tenants. Acting both as tool of division between housing association tenants and legal groundwork for the mass privatisation of council housing, the Housing and Planning Bill is worrying, malicious and vindictive in equal measure.

What’s To Be Done?

It’s quarter to twelve - or I should say, we have just 5 days before we are robbed of the social housing that generations before us fought and supposedly won for working people. To take away such a resource as public housing when there are so many in need is like breaking someone's leg and then saying, make your own way to accident and emergency - only on arrival you discover they have sold off the health service. If you can’t pay you don’t get cured - or housed.

We are under no illusion. If they can do this to our housing, then they will privatise without hesitation the NHS and any other loose and dangling parts of our welfare system.

Now, more than ever, we need to fight back. It has already started. Just look at what a group of young mothers have done, the E15 mothers, or all the other examples given - squatting is breaking the political silence. SHA has taken if you like a leaf out their healthy book and we will stand with anyone who is prepared to take whatever actions are necessary, including direct actions and any other activities that put roofs over people's heads - and enable them to house themselves.

There Is No Time To Lose

The People's Assembly, the TUC, can have all the marching around our capital city they like. And to be fair to them we have to say, they have had some Humdingers when anarchists, youngsters or squatters are involved, but marching from A to B, just what has it achieved - if anything positive, beyond hollow “movement-building”, please let us know.

Making the newspapers, refining the art of doing that, playing at being a spin-doctor may have a place in some scrapbooks, but it’s not the same as addressing a crisis of homelessness. It has its place, so we are not knocking that - far from it as suffering and resistance must be made known, love and compassion will always have a place in a civilized system and society.

In the new year, we all have to do some thinking. We have to have discussions whilst at the same time waging that fight back. It is very necessary - now more than ever - to carry on and wage a war that destroys our class enemies.

For our part as homeless squatters, we will continue to fight gentrification, we will continue to stand up for the street homeless - where it is possible we bring them in from the cold as we believe that it's better to give them the skills to squat. We will continue to have contact and support the working class communities where we live and encourage others to stand up...Together we can put the meat on the bones!

In The New Year

For the new year, we are making plans already. These include getting out and about amongst the homeless community and carrying regular reports on this page. Homeless London is an effort by SHA members to directly facilitate the self-empowerment of the homeless. We are currently working on spreading squatting skills, legal information and the ways in which street homeless people can stay in close and quick communication with one another. We want to support the collective action of street homeless people to defend, house and protect themselves.

We will be supporting the Demonstration On January 5th, Against The Housing and Planning Bill.

Finally, our apologies for the length of this post, and a very big thank you to all our friends who have joined us on this Homeless London Facebook page, such support means so much to us.

Out with the old, in with the new: may you be happy the whole year through. Happy New Year Comrades and friends all!

The Homeless London Team - members of SHA
what's your view of almos?

From a government who claims they want to do away with red tape , there is an enormous amount of red tape being added to social housing .When staff levels are also being cut, it isn't 'joined up thinking' it is class war again.
All the examples they offer of cutting red tape are for businesses - and even there, it's the bigger ones that benefit more than the smaller ones. Small businesses and individuals are about to have to start filing tax returns quarterly - that's not reducing red tape (even if it isn't such a terrible idea...).

This is all-but open war on the small guy. I think even Cameron and Osborne wouldn't be foolish enough to say it out loud, but the people they're courting are the kind of people who run businesses like Sports Direct and C(r)apita. The sort of people who don't need housing, so the more disconnected this government can be from the whole (to them) irrelevance of housing, the happier they are.

Until the rioting starts, I guess...

All the examples they offer of cutting red tape are for businesses - and even there, it's the bigger ones that benefit more than the smaller ones. Small businesses and individuals are about to have to start filing tax returns quarterly - that's not reducing red tape (even if it isn't such a terrible idea...).

This is all-but open war on the small guy. I think even Cameron and Osborne wouldn't be foolish enough to say it out loud, but the people they're courting are the kind of people who run businesses like Sports Direct and C(r)apita. The sort of people who don't need housing, so the more disconnected this government can be from the whole (to them) irrelevance of housing, the happier they are.

Until the rioting starts, I guess...

And rioting with fewer police numbers to quell those riots, and non-availability of military personnel to substitute for them even if the Brass permitted that.
The Tories are betting on riots turning inward on communities, but if nothing else, the 2011 riots should have made clear that rioters are mobile.

Back
Top Bottom