Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

What might be better for weighing cats - parcel scales, baby scales, kitchen scales - you want something that is accurate to within a few grams and can manage up to 10kg.

Might be worth asking on freecycle or similar for baby scales - they typically have a big tray that you can pop a cat on and look at the weight before they have managed to scarper.

Dedicated pet scales like the vet has are massively expensive.

Oh, luggage scales is another idea, if you can get your cat in a carrier and use a luggage scale with a hook that you can put the handle of the carrier on.

And yes, if you can get your cat to sit in a cardboard box and pop that on a digital kitchen scale then that is good. Or in a bag, or anything they like sitting in.
(Never had any luck weighing Sonic at home, which is a shame because if I had been able to I might have known things were serious a bit sooner).

Thanks for all your replies. She is not a fan of being picked up!

Neither does she sleep in random boxes unlike our other cat Paddy, who is easier all round.

It's funny trying to put weight on her (she's not skinny at the moment) as a few years ago we were trying to get her to lose it, especially after one holiday where the neighbours looked after her and fed her rather too many biscuits! She likes being stroked so I'll keep an eye on being able to feel her ribs, and other signs of weight loss.

Just as an aside, the way you weigh a small parrot or similar bird if it won't sit on a perch on a scale, is you put it in a paper bag and scrunch it closed and pop that on the scale. :D

Not sure that is useful for cat weighing in the slightest, but I thought some may find it an interesting fact :D

Just as an aside, the way you weigh a small parrot or similar bird if it won't sit on a perch on a scale, is you put it in a paper bag and scrunch it closed and pop that on the scale. :D

Not sure that is useful for cat weighing in the slightest, but I thought some may find it an interesting fact :D
I'm trying to imagine doing that with Zoe... :D

We semi-regularly weigh FiFi - the easiest way we've found is to put her in the cat basket we use to take her to the vet and we got a digital suitcase scale from Amazon, it's accurate to good enough and it has a tear function so you weigh the basket, then zero it then put the cat in and get a good enough weight - certainly to the nearest 50g

Bear in mind that the scales at our vets gives different readings every time we put anything on and that they're only really designed for dogs so something as light(??) as a cat is outside what it's meant to weigh. At least your weight will be consistent and good enough to spot trends either up or down

We semi-regularly weigh FiFi - the easiest way we've found is to put her in the cat basket we use to take her to the vet and we got a digital suitcase scale from Amazon, it's accurate to good enough and it has a tear function so you weigh the basket, then zero it then put the cat in and get a good enough weight - certainly to the nearest 50g

Bear in mind that the scales at our vets gives different readings every time we put anything on and that they're only really designed for dogs so something as light(??) as a cat is outside what it's meant to weigh. At least your weight will be consistent and good enough to spot trends either up or down

Ooh, would you mind posting what make and model those scales are? I've had no luck finding any that accurate in local shops (at least that I can afford!)

Billy big bollocks (the un neutered tom) turned up for his nightly feeds. Opened the living room window and he came straight in, rubbed himself off all available rubbing stations and jumped back out.
View attachment 321827

Can we take bets on how long it is before Billy Big Bollocks sprays on your curtains? :D

He's gorgeous but I just remember what Jakey was like when we first got him (ex stud who had just been neutered, there was a bit of a settling in period in which various soft furnishings were thrown away and walls and skirting boards thoroughly washed because he decided he needed to mark everything as his territory by spraying!!!)
Billy BB shook his arse near my prayer table. Must be lingering even though I've cleaned it.Red is displeased.
IMG20220531230731.jpgIMG20220531230609.jpg

I wasn't sure if this should go in lonely tech post or here. One of my cat loves to walk between me and my screens to get attention and malts everywhere. My keyboard is a pretty terrible design for holding cat hair and being mechanical if I just use my Titan vacuum, I suspect I'll loose all my keycaps. Has anyone used the small handheld ones from Amazon and similar and do you think they'd deal with pet hair? I've used air dusters, but it's not the more economical method if I have to keep buying them.?????????????????????

1654072837838.png

I really enjoy manually picking cat hair out of my keyboard using a business card and/or a paperclip, but that might just be me.

Maybe I should vacuum the cat. :hmm:

Nature abhors a vacuum, but not as much as cats do.

Best bet is to use an enzyme cleaner, I've used "Urine Off" cat enzyme cleaner in the past and recommend it, the enzymes break down the proteins in the urine that cause other cats to be able to smell it.
I used that, obviously not enough!

Back
Top Bottom